Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This will be built out as a low key RV for two for traveling around U.S.A. and for using as a crashpad in the airport parking lot when I have to be at work early in the morning (I live two hours from the airport). Largely based on the Winnebago Travato 59K Floor Plan.

Assembled in Saltillo Mexico with the following options.

Granite Crystal Metallic

Customer Preferred Package 21A
Trailer Tow Group
Interior Convenience Group
Overhead Storage Shelf
Driver A-Pillar Document Holder
Underseat Storage Tray
Locking Glove Box
Premium Appearance Group
Fog Lamps
Chrome Grille (will be traded or wrapped)
220-Amp Alternator
Slush Mat Front Walk-Through
Driver/Passenger 6-way Adjustable Lumbar Seats
Wide Power Heated Exterior Mirror
Rear Heater and A/C Prep Package
Instrument Panel Bright Bezels
12-Volt Rear Auxiliary Power Outlet
GPS Navigation
Auxiliary Switches
Speed Control
Uconnect 5.0
Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
Heavy Duty Suspensions
16-inch x 6 Aluminum Wheels
Parkview Rear Backup Camera

Added
Splash Guards Front Heavy Duty Rubber Part Number: 82213967AB
Splash Guards Rear Heavy Duty Rubber Part Number: 82213965AC

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Project #1 - De-badging, I do this to all my vehicles.

I used a heat gun to lightly soften he adhesive double tape that holds the logos on then using a very small screwdriver without touching the paint, I pulled each logo off. This left about half of the adhesive stuck to the paint. I then used a 3M eraser wheel to knock the remaining adhesive off. Afterwards I used 3M adhesive remover to clean up the paint. Then I put a coat of wax on the area where the logos were.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looking forward to your build thread!

your empty pic looks a lot like mine did...except I put the windows in after I got it.
I almost bought a used van without windows but was quoted $6,000 for windows all around (although they opened at the bottom) which put that used van's price above this new van.

I plan to replace two windows with ones that open, but its a low priority now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Project #2

Get the front windows Tinted and an eyebrow at the top of the windshield. I selected Llumar FormulaOne, a local shop tinted the windows. I did as dark as allowed for the two windows in each front door and as dark as possible for the eye brow (roughly 4" along the top of the windshield).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Project #3

*Disclaimer - where gloves during this step, my hands are cut up.

Quite the B$tch down. This empty van is louder than any vehicle I think I've ever driven. I installed 2 1/2 boxes of Noico 80mil on the walls ceiling and floor, I will finish this project once I get the Thinsulate so I don't have to open the doors and pull the over cab more than once. I will finish the ceiling once I have the Maxxfan and A/C installed.

I also installed a VanRug - which I really like for a temporary floor, not sure if I will use it for the final build, but maybe I'll just put the 3/4 ply over it and then my final flooring on top of that, we'll see.

The van is MUCH quieter now, can't wait to see what the Thinsulate does to help.

*notice the beach/ocean in the first photo, no sense working in the driveway when you can enjoy salt air.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
...I plan to replace two windows with ones that open, but its a low priority now.
None of my windows open...I bought two front window vents from Eurocampers, and added a Maxxair fan as far back as it would go on the roof.... perfect flow-thru ventilation that moves the hottest air at the top of the van! Ceiling insulation made a big difference in mine.

Ms. & ZIG,

Dark colored vans? Lookin' Good... Too hot in the sun? That's why God made trees!

Wonder if anyone ever did a study... dark colored vans in the shade vs. light colored vans with solar powered fans running full speed. >:D

·
Premium Member
8,724 Posts
White is the color for sun control. Much better than even the silver and sandstone, but to get that advantage you have to be seen in a white van. Insulation is the answer for us non-white owners. BTW we are bringing the infrared cameras and the remote thermometers to the Western CT meet up for our own testing, right Ed?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Project #4

I made the cut... 14x14.

This was emotionally difficult but as a job easy with Hein's adapter. I purchased his adapter and interior support and I am glad a I did. I realize others are more skilled and have woodworking skills, I don't so I chose to spend a bit of extra money to make this as easy as possible. I used the adapter to make four corners then taped the roof and placed the adapter on the four holes, put some marker lines down using the adapter and started cutting. I had two corners that didn't square completely so I took a Dremel to them and they cleaned up nice. I used 3M window weld, butyl tape and self leveling Dicor. We are going on a three day road trip tomorrow so I really wanted the opening in the roof. It is suppose to rain tonight/tomorrow so I'll know my "grade" pretty soon from this project. I don't have a way to power the fan yet so I used the alligator clips connect to the 12V port on my Honda eu2000, fan worked great.

Lessons learned: I'm glad I was wearing eye protection, I had a blade break and shatter on me. I also learned you have to point the remote at the Maxxfan 7500.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered 60' of Thinsulate and an A/C roof adapter and shim from Hein(Kim) today. I'm excited to see how much more quite this van turns out to be once its installed.

I almost bought a WHITE 2014 EXT Diesel with 30k miles, my plan was to wrap it, leaving the roof white. Then I found this new van and couldn't pass it up. I don't plan on spending too much time in the van during the daylight hours so I am not as worried about the color from a heat perspective. Night time I don't think it matters on color.

We wanted an window van for two reasons, 1. We like seeing out 2. I think it looks way stealth, especially when I blackout the windows at night so no light is seen from the outside, people will hopefully assume its empty.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
they also offer an easily wired remote... no pointing, just mount it and use it... it uses a cat5 wire to connect the remote to the fan... just plug it in on each end.

very inexpensive option from Maxxair.... bought it but haven't decided on a location yet!

pmg...a can of black spray paint for the fan adds a lot to the look on a dark colored van... especially when you're a few stories up looking down at the roof.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pmg...a can of black spray paint for the fan adds a lot to the look on a dark colored van... especially when you're a few stories up looking down at the roof.
I am thinking about using vinyl in flat black to cover the white, it drives me crazy. I had a vent painted on my Class A and didn't like it when it flaked off, what paint did you use? Does it seem to stick?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I used a can of acrylic spray paint... so far it has stayed where I put it... wipe down the unit with vinegar to clean the plastic before spraying.

Here's a picture of it. I used butyl rubber strips, then 4" Eternabond tape to seal it to the roof. (pardon the dirty roof... I don't get up there to clean it much) Mine's a 4500K, not a 7500 because I needed a lower profile. The 4500 allowed me to mount it further back on the roof, so it fit behind my pocket doors inside.

If someone is looking for it, here's the remote I was talking about. These guys seem to be the only ones who sell it ($24)

https://pantherrvproducts.com/maxxair-00a03650k-6-button-wall-control-for-maxxfan-plus-and-deluxe-black/

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I accomplished some very valuable R&D thanks to one of this groups great contributors proeddie. I owe a BIG THANK YOU to proeddie for taking time out of his busy day to meet with me. Thank you proeddie!

This past Saturday I flew from Orlando to New York, Uber to the ferry dock, ferry boat to meet proeddie for a wonderful tour of his van, a nice lunch and then he dropped me back at the ferry, lift to my hotel and back to work the next morning. I really like the proeddie floor plan that Winnebago copied for the Travato K 59K 159WB Ext and to see proeddie's build locked in my mind exactly what I can do in the 14" shorter 159WB. Although my build will have some differences, my floor plan will be a copy of proeddie's.

This is a wonderful group because of so many people on here like proeddie, Thank you all!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yesterday I returned home after four days of work to garage full of stuff dropped off by various shipping companies.

Thetford Curve with base
Hein A/C adapter and support
2 cans of 3M 90 adhesive spray
Reflectix for window covering - blackout in&out.
60' of Thinsulate, which is likely more than I need.

Over the weekend I ordered my A/C, a Mach 8 13.5BTU.

Today I stopped by Harbor Freight and purchase,
A tool box for my battery, thanks proeddie
A bunch of packing blankets, thanks proeddie
The "xmas tree" removal tool

I also made a stop today to order an aluminum 14" x 14" custom support bracket for my A/C. They are going to make it out of 1" square tubing welded together, then add L brackets to screw into the roof support. I am hoping this will support the 100 lbs A/C unit? I will be using Hein's adapter since his fan adapter made the job so easy.

Once I returned home I cut the Reflectix for each window, I did a single piece for the driver and passenger doors, I had four that are 24"x48" for the forward two side windows on each side, I also cut four 24"x24" squares for the rear side windows and the back two windows. I plan to sew these into a black fabric on each side to provide total blackout from the inside and out.

Afterwards I opened my new "xmas" tree removal tool kit and removed all the door cargo door panels and the trim over the cab. I added Noico then Thinsulate to each door and above the cab, I laid Reflectix under the black shelf directly above the driver/passenger seats. Then I Thinsulate'd the sides, roof, wheel wells but left a space for the A/C and to run wires.

I can not recommend Thinsulate enough! You can say what you want about the $ but I love the stuff, its easy to work with and when I closed the van and was inside, I felt like I was at the Audiologists office getting my hearing checked inside that booth they put you in. By the time I was done the sun was low enough I can't comment on the heat/insulation value yet, but while I was working with the doors open in partial sun on an 80+ degree day - I was comfortable.

I used a full can of 3M 90 and was working on second can when I finished for the day.

Tomorrow I plan to buy an AGM 100AH battery so I can get the fan going and have light and phone charging. I will add electronically from there and the goal is Lithium and Solar, a lot of both. My plan now it to make the van usable in Florida as it warms up. For now I'm sleeping on an inflatable Aerobed.

Pictures to follow, too dark tonight.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts