Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2016 Promaster 1500 used with 19,000 miles. The day I went to pick it up the front headlight bulb was blown... So sales guy changed it on his own. He went to autozone and all was good. After a few weeks the same bulb fell out again, won't stay in. A few weeks later other bulb falls out. I take to dealer for warranty and they said they can't cover because non factory bulb and the bill is $720. I explain its that way because the sales guy changed bulb because it was blown and that it doesn't explain the other side. Their mechanic said "that's what happens when you put them in wrong". So I say to the warranty lady "Why does a 2016 need multiple bulb replacements?" I'm now awaiting a call but anyone had a problem with their bulbs falling out of the headlamp? I have literally seen 2 Promasters on highway where I could see that their bulb had fallen out and I thought it was my van!

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Never seen one that way.
This is why so many of us do our own simple repairs here. If you want it done right it may be the dealer tech or you. The difference? $700
BTW that bill for two headlight replacements is hard to believe!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am currently having the same issue. It seems the bulb falls out once a week. Really annoying to have to take the entire headlight assembly out just to change a bulb. And the h7 bulbs are straight up TRASH!!! I don't care what brand, I've tried them all. They last 1 month tops. (And no im not touching the bulb) they just constantly burn out, stock up on them at rock auto, much cheaper then going to the store locally.

I was thinking about rigging someothing up with zip ties to try and get the bulb to stay in the socket, I'll let you know if I come up with something that'll work

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm not familiar with the specifics of the Promaster bulbs, but could you add a small dab of high heat silicone in a few spots? I drive a lot of back roads and have done this on a few of my trailers over the years. Otherwise the vibration would either shake the taillight bulbs loose, or damag the internals of the bulbs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
wow- timely thread! one day after i bought with 30k the van i noticed my left side isnt as bright. other people would tell me the same thing. i looked real quick and found that the bulb fell out. fine . when i have time ill look at it. fast forward 2 weeks, i noticed the right side is full of water beads on the lens inside!!

so i found one day to look at it. i took back cover off and left it off to dry out and check the bulb that fell out. i found that the plastic stub is broken off. ok i taped the bulb in place and went to the dealeri bought it from to complain. since they dont handle repairs i had to go to "sister" dealer that support repairs, 30 mins drive. when i get there yesterday its a nissan dealer!?! ok they looked at it and found that the lens with water is "delaminated" and they resealed it. with what i dont know. ill see if their fix works this week. as for the broken side - the poor "technicain" has been struggling with it for 3 hours and decided to order new head light. i will have to go back this friday for the replacement.

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
My bulbs are the original ones after 3 years and 75 k miles of driving.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I got curious. There are few YouTube videos on removing the PM headlight assembly and bulb(s).
This is by far the best video on removing the headlight assembly, but for some reason he stops short of removing the bulb.
Everyone says remove the assembly first, otherwise you can't see what's holding the bulb in. If the same bulb keeps falling out, it could mean the plastic tabs holding it may have been damaged (fatigued) in the past. Once they are damaged, they may never grip tight again. I hope you can make zip ties (etc) work. Maybe they won't burn out if they can't fall out.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Origional bulbs all working after nearly 2 years and 30K miles some on a really rough road here in AZ.

·
Registered
427 Posts
FACT: H7 bulbs do not simply "fall out" ... IF IF IF IF IF IF ... the clip or holder has been properly installed and hasn't been damaged.

FACT: OEM H7 bulbs properly installed (and properly aimed) in the OEM ProMaster headlight housings are excellent. Among the best headlights in any vehicle I have ever owned. And they last decently. (Mine is at 34,000 km on the original bulbs)

The inescapable conclusion is that someone is not installing the bulb correctly and/or not positioning the clip that holds it in place correctly. And for those who are experiencing short bulb life ... they are either buying the wrong bulbs or they are allowing contamination (from fingerprints) on the bulbs when installing them because that WILL drastically shorten their life.

Most so-called "high output" bulbs have shorter life than standard bulbs. The only way a halogen bulb can have higher light output from the same (DOT-prescribed) wattage is to operate the filament at a higher temperature ... and that shortens their life.

Most so-called "white" or "blue" or "xenon-look" (but not HID) bulbs have shorter life and less output than standard bulbs. They achieve that look by filtering the light output from a standard filament ... and that reduces light output and turns it into heat which shortens the life of the bulb.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just have to believe they are/were installed incorrectly! may even have a broken clip, need to inspect closely with lens out, trying to do drivers side in place is almost if not impossible, even my dealer had to slow down and study it but got it after 2nd try (yes it fell back but not out on first attempt) both origional bulbs were replaced before 20k, but replacements are fine at 52k. find another dealer. or did I understand you bought it there? if so find the sales manager or owner. I would be willing to pay a reasonable fee, but not 700+ good luck, dont get discouraged, I love my big ugly, once you get this ironed out you will bond and become one :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had to replace my driver bulb yesterday. take the light housing off, its simple 2 thumb screws, 1 phillips screw, and 3 10mm head screws.the key is to put the bulb in 1st,it slips behind a little tab then push the wire connector on. I was talking with the parts guy about the short lifespan. He told me that all vehicles that take the H7 bulbs have a short life. it even says on package about 85 hours life. I get way more than that as i keep my lights on all the time. Ill have to look at how many miles i get. this is about 9 or 10 since new.

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
I say BS to that! I'm on my original headlights after 3 years and 75k miles of driving.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Mine are 3 years 3 months old and I have 90,000 miles on them. Never replaced the main headlights. I did replace the daytime running light once which is right below the headlight and have not had any problem with that either. I see a lot of ProMasters around here driving with their headlights on during the day like they have them setup as DRL. If they do then 85 hours would be about 2-4 tanks of gas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So it seems that the issue with the lights is the 2016 model... I bought this van used from a Chevy dealer. I'm having i serviced at a Ram dealer. The dealership did replace both under warranty after I "reasoned" with them. For the others who have commented on the improper installation I would pose the same question to you that I did to the dealer, "Why would a 2016 already have improperly installed bulbs?"

·
Registered
11 Posts
The dealer replaced one of my headlights under warranty @ 18,000 Miles. I am not sure if it was really burned out because the van was in for a rapid oil change. The replacement was free. They did the warranty repair paperwork so I assume it was done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts