Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I've got a 2016 Ram Promaster City Tradesman with the uconnect 3.0 RA1 stereo. No steering wheel controls, no cruise.

For a replacement stereo I've picked up :

-generic android double din from eBay
-SpiralAudio WH-0037 52 pin Chrysler adapter
-Metra 40-EU10 AM/FM motorola-Fakra adapter
-USB a male to USB mini-b 5 pin female adapter
-Amazon backup camera

Unfortunately the 52 pin vehicle connector is somewhat sparsely populated. There doesn't appear to be a ACC / IGN ON wire or a BACK wire.

Uconnect 3.0 appears to use the CAN bus interface. I am seeing the infamous Odometer Flash / Blinking.

I know some threads say stuff like "Pioneer xxx and kit xxx from crutchfield worked" but maybe it wouldn't be right for a generic Android stereo or a base Uconnect 3.0 tradesman.

Am I looking at buying one of those can bus adapter harnesses that stops the ODO flashing and adds the basic stuff like BRAKE, BACK, and ACC? Anyone done this successfully?

Thanks for reading this far...all ideas appreciated :D

---
John

UPDATE : Access XSVI-6523-NAV XSVI appears to be the ticket, maybe $ 60-$70.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi,

I've got a 2016 Ram Promaster City Tradesman with the uconnect 3.0 RA1 stereo. No steering wheel controls, no cruise.

For a replacement stereo I've picked up :

-generic android double din from eBay
-SpiralAudio WH-0037 52 pin Chrysler adapter
-Metra 40-EU10 AM/FM motorola-Fakra adapter
-USB a male to USB mini-b 5 pin female adapter
-Amazon backup camera

Unfortunately the 52 pin vehicle connector is somewhat sparsely populated. There doesn't appear to be a ACC / IGN ON wire or a BACK wire.

Uconnect 3.0 appears to use the CAN bus interface. I am seeing the infamous Odometer Flash / Blinking.

I know some threads say stuff like "Pioneer xxx and kit xxx from crutchfield worked" but maybe it wouldn't be right for a generic Android stereo or a base Uconnect 3.0 tradesman.

Am I looking at buying one of those can bus adapter harnesses that stops the ODO flashing and adds the basic stuff like BRAKE, BACK, and ACC? Anyone done this successfully?

Thanks for reading this far...all ideas appreciated :D

---
John

UPDATE : Access XSVI-6523-NAV XSVI appears to be the ticket, maybe $ 60-$70.
I currently have the Axcess XSVI-6523-NAV installed, along with the SWC-1 in my 2015.
I had the "blinking" issue at initial install. I tried everything, but the only way that I was able to clear the blink, set my dash date/clock, etc. was to reinstall the stock UConnect just to get power to the head unit, set the dash using the deck controls. Once complete, remove stock unit, reinstall aftermarket, all while the battery was still connected.

This worked fine right up to a flash that my stealership did while my PMC was in service. Now, I cannot get the **** thing to stop blinking...
And this has been for about 2 months so far. Nothing wrong with it, and stealership scanned it a couple of weeks later and said same thing, nothing wrong, no codes, etc. just can't stop the blinking, even after performing the above again.

It's only slightly irritating.

You could try re-installing the Uconnect to set the time, etc. Just remember to not disconnect the battery. Once the time/date was set, the blinking went away. If not, you have the same problem I have right now.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
StudioX, thanks for your notes!

This is a list of PMC vehicle integration harnesses gleaned from reading the threads and exercising the various online configuration tools :

1) *Axxess LC-CHRC-01
2) Axxess XSVI-6523-NAV
3) iDatalink ADS-MRR and HRN-RR-CH3
4) PAC RP4-CH21
5) Axxess AX-ADCH03 and AX-ADBOX(1,2)

Crutchfield web site offers 1 or 2 for my vehicle. When I called the tech rep recommended 1. He told me the blinking odo is from the CAN bus device integration. He said it was up to the stereo to deal with that, not the harness.

Seems odd since presumably the NAV connections (BACK, BRAKE, VSS) are sourced from sniffing the CAN bus. Probing the 52 pin connector doesn't seem to show direct signals. Choice 1 also provides (ILLUM, ACC).

Amazon comments describe some fairly nightmarish scenarios with harness boxes randomly powering up aux stereo amps and killing batteries. Yeesh. I don't believe UC 3.0 uses an external amp.

Some of the RAM truck owners try upgrading to higher level uconnects, but often the radios require flashing with vehicle specific (VIN, year, model) information and even then...problems.

I don't have steering wheel controls on my Tradesman, so no SWC box is needed.

The tech docs for 1,2 indicate that they can be updated with micro-USB and have a specific "Hazard Light" initialization sequence to be performed whenever the battery is disconnected. It would be interesting to know if others have tried this.

I have a few more sniffs out on the web, I am leaning toward option 1 later this week, seems like the price is a bit high on Crutchfield, not sure the gratis tech doc is worth $30 over market!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I well remember the days when the first fm/cassette under dash stereos came out.Installation couldn't have been easier.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So (ouch) this is how things are today :

The meta axxess interface "LC-CHRC-01" didn't work for me at all. It wouldn't flash with the Axxess Updater version 1.10, it would just pop up with a message ""no updateable interface" and a chime. Two tech support outfits were puzzled by this and even sent me a 2nd a "brain" which behaved the same way. It could not control the brake, reverse, and acc wires by reading the can bus, and the odometer would blink on and off. I see it's no longer listed for this vehicle, although the downloadable PDF still shows the application.

The XSVI-6523-NAV *does* mostly work for me. The instructions mention an "ACC" position on the ignition, which I don't appear to have, but it doesn't seem relevant since it does initialize using the hazard lamp, harness plug-in, ignition on sequence described in the paperwork.

So this 2nd harness does talk to the latest Axxess Updater (1.13). It applied updates from 2.7 to version 2.9, it's reading the CAN bus and properly controlling the BACK, BRAKE, ACC wires for my Joying Android 2DIN, and showing the Amazon backup camera signal in reverse.

Unfortunately the odometer still blinks.

There were a few other fitment issues involving some unexpected grinding on the metra faceplate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
more ouch with my stereo but overall good news

The XSVI-6523-NAV ended up not working for me.

It seems to activate the backup camera almost at random, it's as through the unit occasionally detects a REVERSE on the CANbus even though it's not happening. During an actual REVERSE it does the right thing.

Basically I am driving down the road, and the camera activates, which cuts the audio signal, and shows the rear video, and then it goes back to the radio or media player after several seconds.

I watched the wire with a meter and it keeps jumping to 13.4 VDC or so when this happens, usually when the brake or accelerator is adjusted, or the tranny shifts.

So I am pulling it and doing a traditional wire setup :

Red ACC wire from the harness, probably a tap into the cigarette plug feed.
Orange REVERSE/BACK wire from the reverse lamps.

There is a MOPAR instruction sheet for installing the 82214341AB trailer wiring harness on a few parts sites. The later pages describe how to run wires through the "lower route" from the tail end of the vehicle to the dash.

I am currently running a video cable "over the top", adjacent to the airbags, so I will switch this to the lower route.

The ODO flashes because RA3 has the smarts for setting and storing the date, time, etc. built-in. When it's not found on the CANbus the ODO flashes.

The dealer can probably set a "radio delete" flag or some such and make it go away. It doesn't bother me.

---
John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the only way to adjust the time and date is through the OEM radio, at least on a 2016 PMC Cargo with RA1.

The Android head unit just hasn't worked out. Distance AM/FM is worse than OEM and file copy requires odd copy,cut,paste commands compared to my phones and tablets.

I'm considering restoring the OEM radio and add a rearview monitor next week.

Not sure what to do about audio. The PMC Cargo, two front speaker, RA1 setup is pretty weak.

I'm considering using my FM capable smartphone and a bluetooth amp / speaker setup. This would bypass the proprietary system integration issues altogether.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The XSVI-6523-NAV ended up not working for me.

It seems to activate the backup camera almost at random, it's as through the unit occasionally detects a REVERSE on the CANbus even though it's not happening. During an actual REVERSE it does the right thing.

Basically I am driving down the road, and the camera activates, which cuts the audio signal, and shows the rear video, and then it goes back to the radio or media player after several seconds.

I watched the wire with a meter and it keeps jumping to 13.4 VDC or so when this happens, usually when the brake or accelerator is adjusted, or the tranny shifts.

So I am pulling it and doing a traditional wire setup :

Red ACC wire from the harness, probably a tap into the cigarette plug feed.
Orange REVERSE/BACK wire from the reverse lamps.

There is a MOPAR instruction sheet for installing the 82214341AB trailer wiring harness on a few parts sites. The later pages describe how to run wires through the "lower route" from the tail end of the vehicle to the dash.

I am currently running a video cable "over the top", adjacent to the airbags, so I will switch this to the lower route.

The ODO flashes because RA3 has the smarts for setting and storing the date, time, etc. built-in. When it's not found on the CANbus the ODO flashes.

The dealer can probably set a "radio delete" flag or some such and make it go away. It doesn't bother me.

---
John
Any news on your install? I noticed the same issue where the line goes up to 14VDC while I'm driving above 30mph. Shifting into neutral brings the line back to GND, but going back into D brings the line right back to high.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts