Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like the diesel DEF problems from the earlier years are not quite ironed out in the 2016, at least in my case. Started having an intermittent CEL every 300 to 700 miles since new but the dealer I got it from would only look at it if it was active with the light on the dash. The light would go out before I got to the dealer so at about 3k miles I tried another dealer. I took it to Autonation in Bellevue, Wa. for the recent tow light control module recall and had them look at the CEL problem (it has always been a P208a code, DEF open circuit).
Shirley, as I refer to my big white van, just got back from another sleep over at the new dealer and nothing is fixed yet. But she is now a star or at least a star case. The DEF pump has been replaced (which resulted in an additional P208b code) and all the wiring checked, now we wait for the new engine control model that FCA said is the next thing to be replaced. I wish I could get some software documentation because this is the kind of electrical work I did before I retired and I get the feeling they aren't troubleshooting in a linear fashion. Oh, and the Tow Module recall isn't done either, part isn't available.
Even though it's frustrating at least it's free. I am currently betting on a bad plug crimp or ground but that is just guessing. Maybe the fourth visit will turn up some new results. I still love Shirley.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
It appears yours is an anomaly as it isn’t seen in anyone else's van as far as posters here. You probably have just what you are guessing. The timing of the CEL would suggest it might be happening during regeneration. Manufacturing a complex product will result in just such unusual occurrences and the solution may just be an intermittent contact failure somewhere in that system’s wiring. I am surprised they didn’t change that out before the pump and EMU, both expensive components. I wonder what “all the wiring checked” means

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I get any info that might help others I'll post it. I am really disappointed because I bought a Leatherman New Wave and even that didn't save me. :) Maybe should have got the ES4 too so it would be on the keychain as a hint to the mechanic.

·
Registered
351 Posts
when i get any info that might help others i'll post it. I am really disappointed because i bought a leatherman new wave and even that didn't save me. :) maybe should have got the es4 too so it would be on the keychain as a hint to the mechanic.

bahahahahahahahaahaha!!! :d

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
If you can’t fix it with the Leatherman Wave those dorks at the dealer are gonna struggle, and if they saw that Wave on your belt they know they are dealing with a savvy dude! You do have the ODB2 attachment right? Seriously- good luck, glad its on their dime!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe you need the Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi-Tool. That might scare it fixed. I have a diesel now and I'm always hold my breath when I start it looking for the CEL. Of course it's a Sptinter and that's why I'm going to a Promaster. Too many diesel problems.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about the SOG Powerplay but what would I do without my scissors?
The van has been great except for the moodlight, at least now I have a dealer who is willing to work on it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No more CEL! The brain transplant seems to have worked. Two regens and 1000 miles after the last dealer go around and they did the Tow light module recall. I'm still watching the dash at startup but less anxiety.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Whew! I’ve got my fingers crossed for you. Glad to hear you found a dealer that made progress. There are only two codes that seem to have been seen lately and yours was a single case. It seems the emissions systems are working but there are going to be occasional failures, its a complex machine.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had two random messages pop up in my display. First one while sitting at a stop light the display gave a warning to have the Hill Holder serviced, and as soon as I took off the warning and cel light went out. Never repeated. The second message was a few weeks later telling me to have the Air Bags system serviced with a CEL light, and it too went out after a minute, with no return in warnings. I called the dealer they informed me they will look at the stored codes the next time I bring it in for service (in 4K miles) if the warnings return though to bring it in immediately.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Those should not be engine related and such codes have been very rare here. Those are the sort of things that happen if a ground is bad or wiring is loose or a connector is partially plugged in. They may be unrelated but may both ground to the same connector. I wish I was better with the wiring schematics as it would be interesting to know. There is actually something called a wiggle test for those possibilities- you just wiggle any related wires you can find and have someone watch for the CEL, seems too low tech to be real doesn’t it?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I mistyped with the airbag warning it was not a CEL light but the airbag warning light was lit up after the display gave the warning but went out shortly afterwards. The CEL did light shortly for the Hill Holder warning. I am still trying to figure out what the heck a Hill Holder is? The light I was at had a very slight incline but nothing major. I was thinking I might of had my foot resting on the accelerator peddle while pressing on the brake (new boots that day) and that may of caused the computer to think something was up.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So now my 2016 diesel, that I call Shirley, is back in the shop. First the ESC light came on for no reason and pushing the ESC off button had no effect a couple restarts later it disappeared and no engine codes. This happened twice, then the third time it happened when I started it up just over a week ago. I drove off like normal and got a service airbags warning. Two blocks later the all the dash lights went on, the engine went to idle and the transmission went to neutral so I coasted to the side of the road because there was no response to throttle or transmission. Luckily there was room for Shirley on the shoulder! So using standard trouble shooting practice I did a reboot. After the restart everything worked but I had a CEL.
It looks like Shirley has mental problems. The codes were U0121, current, U0129, U0415, U1518, pending and U0001, historic. Next start up they all became current faults and are associated with various CAN BUS communication errors. Of course when I started up to drive to the dealer the CEL was gone. This is Shirley's second day because they had to contact FCA to get help. So Shirley is a star for the second time!
The other electronic problems were irritating but the total shutdown is a little scary, there isn't always a handy place to pull over.
Has anyone else had a problem like this?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got a call from the dealer and they have decided to replace the ABS module which should arrive next week. No explanation about the shutdown but of course Shirley is not showing any current codes. Glad to be a business customer under warranty and having them foot the bill for the rental and everything else. I was a little depressed so I read the Sprinter forum and now I feel better ;)

·
Registered
2015 diesel 2500
213 Posts
I am serious and quit calling me Shirley. Sorry, couldn't resist. Hope the Old girl is back on the road soon.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yesterday I got the ESC and hill holder warning, same as you turning it off did not do anything. After restart it went away. The total shutdown happened once but it was related to my jump out of 6th gear problem or so i thought. I have about 6200 miles on my van since they replaced my transmission. This ESC warning is new for me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I didn't want to join this thread... but I got the "Service ESC" light on my 2016 diesel. I've actually had it go on two times. Strangely, both times were on the way to the dealer, at the exact same location. The first time I was told I needed to make an appointment and bring it back. It went off when I left the dealer.

The second time, was several months later when I was taking it to the dealer for its VT state inspection. The dealer did the diagnostic flow chart stuff and determined it needed a new PCU (code U0415). With the warning, it failed the state inspection. When I was leaving the dealer, the light went off. They refused to pass the inspection and insisted it needed the new PCU. I expressed my skepticism about their diagnosis.

The van went in this morning, still showing no errors to get its PCU and state inspection. I just got a call and was told they replaced the PCU and can not program it. They will be contacting FCA tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
GRRRR. Sorry to hear. It is nothing to do with being a Diesel of course as ECS is the Electronic Stability Control which all these vans have. However we have not seen much about this being an issue here. If your dealer got in touch with FCA before the PCU then it might be correct. Otherwise dealers have a poor track record on these things. What does PCU stand for? I’d have thought they would change the ABS module? PCM? (power train control module)
BTW staying on that MTB?
RD

1 - 20 of 22 Posts