Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone and thank you so much for all the info that you have been posted.

I am looking for a diesel PM and found one that has pretty much all the items I want if I had to order a new one today. It is a 2015 high roof 136 diesel. I was hoping to get some input on a few things before I pull the trigger on it:

1) It has a 12/14 build date on it. I have heard that mid to late '15s are better. Should I be concerned with a December '14 date?
2) The only feature that I would not have selected is the driver side sliding door. Would any of you see any major issues with having 2 sliding doors for a basic conversion? I would basically not use that sliding door.
3) The van only has 9500kms on it. It apparently was just purchased direct from FCA at an auction. The family own used cars shop owner thinks it was a company vehicle. Does anyone see some potential red flags with this one?
4) I test drove the van today in a wicked snow storm and I have to admit it handled really well. Actually the whole van impressed me. Everything looked fine but I am not a mechanic. Are there things I should be looking for or ask the used car shop owner to do before I purchase (things like computer upgrades, DEF issues)?
5) It has a partition. Is it easy to remove?
6) Price was about $26000 US. Does that seem reasonable?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,278 Posts
Is there a dealer nearby with a Promaster diesel mechanic?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes there seems to be one about 20-30 mins away from the used cars place. I live about 5 hours from the place and just stopped in today to check the van out. Not easy for me to get there but owner seems very helpful.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,278 Posts
Your buying a niche vehicle that only a few places can repair.

You live 5 hrs from a Ram Promaster diesel mechanic, that's a long tow if it won't start.

The info on this site would suggest avoiding anything before 6/15 or 7/15. You need to read all things relating to diesels on this site if you have not ready done so.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Too expensive, wrong history (run don’t walk away), right near the end of many that had problems, no warrantee, unexplained low mileage, probably a buyback or trade in, partition is easy to remove but some trim will be missing. If you MUST have it offer something like 20K USD. Be prepared to drive to the dealer, perhaps a lot. Oh BTW I love this diesel van so don’t think I am a hater, it doesn't add up to a great deal. I paid $8K more for and ordered mid-2015 that has been as perfect as any vehicle I have ever owned. It was money well spent. NO

Reactions: windyyet

·
Registered
171 Posts
For conversion it is better to find a Promaster without the the left side sliding dog. It costs less, allows better fixing of furnitures (the door is subject to small movements, better insulation, ...

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,544 Posts
Run. Since when does FCA is driving cargo vans as company vehicles this side of the water? Back story does not add up. If it did come from FCA, more likely a lemon they "fixed." And that price is almost what I paid new.

As for the extra door, I wouldn't mind that at all. In fact, it's one of the few options I wish I had.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Definitely overpriced, if it was a fleet or buy back it actually would likely been repaired properly by FCA. Easy enough at a local dealer to get the history with the VIN number. Either way to much $$, check the history at the dealer and if it's good offer 20k as mentioned or even a bit less. My 2015 118 wb Diesel they took back sold for 18k after fixed and was given a extended warranty by FCA that was transferable

Reactions: windyyet
1 - 8 of 8 Posts