• All-Wheel-Drive

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The biggest difference between the 2014 Ram ProMaster and it's competition is that it's front-wheel-drive, meanwhile competitiors like the Ford Transit, Nissan NV and Mercedes-Benz Sprinter are rear-wheel-drive.

This is a bit unusual being a heavy duty commercial cargo van. There are some obvious pro's and con's of having a front-wheel-drive drivetrain, but what would you prefer to have, front-wheel-drive (FWD), rear-wheel-drive (RWD) or all-wheel-drive (AWD)?

·
Registered
386 Posts
A cargo van is not going to be AWD.

And you won't get a ProMaster in RWD.
I think the ProMaster has it's place in the market being FWD where all the other vans are RWD.

There is nothing wrong with having a cargo van as FWD. If anything it would be an advantage.

·
Registered
100 Posts
if they had kept it a V8 like the Dodge Sprinter, then a RWD setup would be ideal. But I until I find a problem with FWD, i'll stick with it for now.

With the ProMaster being FWD, I believe it allows them to have the floor sit lower, allowing for easier loading and unloading.

·
Registered
41 Posts
if they had kept it a V8 like the Dodge Sprinter, then a RWD setup would be ideal. But I until I find a problem with FWD, i'll stick with it for now.

With the ProMaster being FWD, I believe it allows them to have the floor sit lower, allowing for easier loading and unloading.
I am sick and tired of the V8 in my sprinter so much gas drainage its not even funny. I like the fact that the new Dodge Promaster is coming with the v6. it will help with my current cost for gas.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you ever lose traction with the rear wheels for example on wet grass, you are in trouble. Steering in mud with FWD is also much easier. On a rwd, you will just get a lot of wheel spin.

The only advantage to RWD is towing capacity.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most cargo vans are RWD. If you want a RWD, just buy a Sprinter or Transit.
That's true. The ProMaster is Front Wheel Drive for a reason, it's the "economy" commercial vehicle, made to target people who don't need a commercial vehicle for heavy duty use, or at least not anything too extreme.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Dodge actually put some thought in for us contractors since we need as much space in the rear as we can get. The front wheel drive if you think of will be less pain in the ass when you have to service after a good amount of time for repairs. Less mechanical parts like the propeller shaft and rear differential.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
Constatini
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing