2014 RAM Promaster Front 02

2014 RAM Promaster Chassie And Engine Layout 5

2014 RAM Promaster Chassie And Engine Layout 4

2014 RAM Promaster Chassie And Engine Layout 3

2014 RAM Promaster Chassie And Engine 3

2014 RAM Promaster Chassie And Engine 2

2014 RAM Promaster Interior

2014 RAM Promaster Chassie And Engine Layout 2

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/van/1302_2014_ram_promaster_first_look/index.html

·
Registered
363 Posts
The ProMaster chassis seems quite basic from the looks of it in the photo's provided in this thread. I'd actually like to see if they did anything special when engineering it, just to see if they did anything like strengthening it for a more solid and safer ride.

Being a really affordable cargo van I won't expect too much from it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The way they have built it does have good structure but for the rear cabin its a simple shell. Its really what lies beneath. From what i have read they have safety crumple zones. I would expect the front cabin where the drive and passenger sit to have most of the focus.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Surprised no one brought it up but the rear door hinges on the Promaster are amazing, looking at the picture of it above it helps to swing the doors all the way out and tucked to the side of the body instead of opening up to 90 degrees and stopping their.

Lower floor and doors that swing all the way around = win. Talk about easy loading and unloading!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Surprised no one brought it up but the rear door hinges on the Promaster are amazing, looking at the picture of it above it helps to swing the doors all the way out and tucked to the side of the body instead of opening up to 90 degrees and stopping their.

Lower floor and doors that swing all the way around = win. Talk about easy loading and unloading!

I don't like how the hinges are on the outside rather than inside the promaster and would be concerned about how well sealed it is from moisture. would suck if this thing started rusting and going to **** years after ownership.

plus people might tamper with the hinges and what would suck if your hauling around some pricey cargo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
the door hinges were made on the outside on the promaster for a reason so we can get our cargo in fully without compromising the opening space. I don't see why it should be an issue for the seal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I doubt dodge would release a vehicle without having to test it for sealing issues. But however the security issue of the hinges on the outside does raise an issue. I would have a concern about the materials that I am carrying. But hey if they wanted it bad enough I can't see anything else stopping them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just be sure to keep the hinges lubed regularly with a thickening hinge lube.

I also hope it's better than the Mercedes van.
I saw one that was local and it was rusting everywhere dotted with 1 to 4 inch diameter rust spots.

It looked like ****.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well, 2200+ miles and the rear brakes SEQUEL like a symphony is being played back there.
And as far as the hinges?
It would be easier to take a whack at the side with an ax.

The thing is real thin, as in one layer of thin sheet steel for the skin.
Slam the doors and the whole thing vibrates, and you can see the door skin bowing in and out.

That is how it can carry so much and is so much lighter than the Sprinter.
I'm looking forward to adding some of that peel and stick sound deadening sheeting to large open parts of the doors and walls.

All in all, I still like it.
The steering wheel needs to tilt, the seats need to be a little lower, the visors need to not hit the front by the windshield and block my view forward, get rid of the useless clip board, and design some better storage in the cab.
I can plug i my phone and use the U-Connect for hands free but have no place to put it where I can see the GPS map.

OH, and for a cargo van, it is fast.
I always catch people off guard, and the last one was some short shifting punk in a brand new V8 Mustang that had no clue how to drive it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts