Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this van for about 1-1/2 years; what a piece of junk
Issues we have experienced in 18 months

-Doors on back and side of van continuously broken, hard to open, not latching; dealer has replaced hardware 4 times...apparently with same cheap parts
-Brakes have squealed, squeaked, ground since new. Dealer said Dodge was aware of issues and working on a fix. i am guessing that by the time a buy my next van (NOT a Dodge) they should have it figured out
-Fuel mileage...salesman promised something around 20 even with a load; I suspected he was overstating....Get around 16 combined in the summer...around 13 combined in the winter. Still better than my old E350, but not as much as I had hoped
-Radiator began leaking 12/14....waited 4 months for a replacement unit. Was told factory could not get replacement parts as they needed them for new units (I guess they already had my money) Finally got fixed...only to have it start leaking again this month. Dealer said they pressure tested and no problems, even though truck smells of anti-freeze when idling and coolant tank needs to be topped off every few fuel fill-ups
-As of late; "rear door open" warning starts to beep and flash on dash. Rear doors are tightly closed...hauled oversized pipe a few months ago (We are a plumbing contractor) pipe hung out of rear doors by 4 feet, tied doors together (still open with about 18" of space between them)...no door open warning
-About a year ago while driving, the entire dash went dead; speedometer, tack all other gauges, headlights, interior lights, radio. We pulled over and restarted the vehicle several times...no resolution. Next morning everything was fine. Told dealer and they installed a new radio...
-The front wheel drive has been a problem as it is a construction vehicle. I was worried about that when i bought it. I have gotten stuck on more job sites with this van then I have in my previous 25 years in the trades combined. have stopped driving into any job sites that have mud, snow or granular material that look like your car might get stuck.
-Plenty of room in back...only good thing we have found to date on this vehicle

- The van has been to the repair shop 5 times in 18 months...I bought a new vehicle so I would not have down time...This is not the answer

·
Registered
2015 diesel 2500
216 Posts
Sorry about your multiple issues with your PM. If it's any consolation (I'm guessing it's not) I think those issues were mostly ironed out in the 2015 PM. So far I have 4K on mine and no issues...OK, brakes do squeak and it looks like it was painted by someone who was blindfolded and had low blood sugar.. Mine doesn't get loaded up so it performs admirably in the snow, mud. ETC. Mine's been recalled for an ignition switch and will get a partial repaint job covered under warranty. Hopefully they resolve your issues and you never have to step into another dealer's garage. I feel Ram rushed this product and didn't have the necessary support infrastructure in place. My biggest fear is they'll drop this van early on like the Chrysler 200 and Dodge Dart ...and service support will suffer even more.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 2014 Promaster low roof, 136 wheel base van and love it. Have driven it from the San Juan Islands in the northwest to Big Bend in South Texas and parts in-between. 27000 miles on pavement and off road. Use it as a camper. I have had no problems with it and it drives great. Every time I get in and hit the road, I have a smile on my face. Sorry you have had problems but it seems that many people really like this vehicle. I have had all the recalls and service bulletin work done and have no complaints. Brake fix actually worked and I no longer have squeaky brakes.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wow! I have a 2015 diesel 16,000 miles on it with none of those issues! What is interesting with your post is that your issue with the front wheel drive is one of the main reasons why I bought the PM. I test drove all the others and the PM handles better than the transit and the MB. I have yet to put chains on even in heavy snow conditions and it handles mud and dirt roads like a all wheel drive. Anyway I hope all your issues get resolved. Cheers

·
Registered
338 Posts
Bummer mhplumbing. I think FCA rushed these vans out a little to quickly initially and the QC wasn't quite up to speed just a guess. Overall, I would say 90+% of PM owners are quite happy with there rigs me included. I have had a few issues nothing major. My biggest let down is the competency or lack there of when it comes to my dealer and their ability to "fix" things the first time. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
I too have a '15, mine is a diesel. No issues such as those! No issues at all. For going into muddy and granular areas you will need tires that are appropriate to that use, definitely not the Vanco's that come on it. You seem to have has ALL the issues, many others had one or two. Don't buy a lottery ticket, your luck is not good. They improved the van more than I realized between yours and mine! Good luck- sounds like you need it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
There is always bound to be a bad egg every now and then, it is unfortunate when it happens to you and costs you money. I sat at the dealership yesterday from 9-5 waiting on mine, it was a PITA but they were accommodating.

I like honest techs, yesterday after the fixes they did my check engine light was still on. The oil pressure sensor they installed to correct the initial check engine light failed too. This is apparently an issue with the 3.6L Penastar motor, so it happens to all of them. There seems to be gremlins that are carry overs from the past.

Also, the service manager at my dealership was honest too. He understood my issues and took care of it. Even told me if there are issues in the future outside warranty he would even make special cases on my behalf. Hope this never happens but it was nice knowing this.

I did have to fight them on the brakes, my van build wasnt apart of the TSB that covered new ones. They found sand and sea shells in mine, which they blamed it on, but after my oil change gone bad they finally ponied up.

All in all, the van has been good. I hope it will last and these small issues get worked out.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
You driving in the ocean or did the guys and gals in Saltillo take yours for a joy ride to the beach? How do you spell "party on" in Spanish? BTW that sand and seashells and the salt from it is bad and maybe you got free brakes when you might have been responsible? Aw someones gotta win one once in a while! LOL

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have had '14 159 EXT gas for 2 years with 60K miles on it and have not had any of those problems at all. I have had a couple of problems but the dealer has been great at resolving them.

·
Super Moderator
445 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of your travails. I bought a '14 and have been so incredibly pleased with the quality. Nothing bad has happened to me: no squeaky brakes or troubles at all. I have travelled all over the US and western Canada.

Like you, I bought a new van hoping that meant few issues with reliability. I have no answer as to why yours didn't work out and so many others did.

I did have a noisy bushing but that was an quick and free fix.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't know about he "Worst ever" in general, but quality control seems to be very sporadic on these vans and the PM definitely has more issues than it should. This would not be such a big deal if FCA was doing a better job of correcting the issues and quickly providing dealers with the parts and instructions on what they need to do to make permanent fixes on vans that are already out there. There are far too many stories on this site about nearly new vans stuck at the dealership for weeks on end. That is completely insane!:eek:

As for the front wheel drive, it's a trade off in a work vehicle. You're a plumber, so you'll probably be spending most of your miles with a heavily loaded van. Not only is that going to greatly affect the MPG in 6 cylinder van, but it's also spreading the weight over the rear instead of the front tires. In an E-Series or a Transit that would mean better traction, in a FWD it makes it far worse.

·
Registered
37 Posts
2015 2500 promaster Diesel does anyone else have a problem if you step on the break is the same time the Engine Stalls?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Everyone, my 1st post here. 2015 Glass highroof diesel with 30+k miles. Can't love this van more. My E van with its 5.4 would maybe eek out 14 or 15 mpg on the freeway. This thing averages 22mpg with the cruise control set at 80.

Morris, you'll probably get better answers making a new post with your problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had this van for about 1-1/2 years; what a piece of junk
Issues we have experienced in 18 months

-Doors on back and side of van continuously broken, hard to open, not latching; dealer has replaced hardware 4 times...apparently with same cheap parts
-Brakes have squealed, squeaked, ground since new. Dealer said Dodge was aware of issues and working on a fix. i am guessing that by the time a buy my next van (NOT a Dodge) they should have it figured out
-Fuel mileage...salesman promised something around 20 even with a load; I suspected he was overstating....Get around 16 combined in the summer...around 13 combined in the winter. Still better than my old E350, but not as much as I had hoped
-Radiator began leaking 12/14....waited 4 months for a replacement unit. Was told factory could not get replacement parts as they needed them for new units (I guess they already had my money) Finally got fixed...only to have it start leaking again this month. Dealer said they pressure tested and no problems, even though truck smells of anti-freeze when idling and coolant tank needs to be topped off every few fuel fill-ups
-As of late; "rear door open" warning starts to beep and flash on dash. Rear doors are tightly closed...hauled oversized pipe a few months ago (We are a plumbing contractor) pipe hung out of rear doors by 4 feet, tied doors together (still open with about 18" of space between them)...no door open warning
-About a year ago while driving, the entire dash went dead; speedometer, tack all other gauges, headlights, interior lights, radio. We pulled over and restarted the vehicle several times...no resolution. Next morning everything was fine. Told dealer and they installed a new radio...
-The front wheel drive has been a problem as it is a construction vehicle. I was worried about that when i bought it. I have gotten stuck on more job sites with this van then I have in my previous 25 years in the trades combined. have stopped driving into any job sites that have mud, snow or granular material that look like your car might get stuck.
-Plenty of room in back...only good thing we have found to date on this vehicle

- The van has been to the repair shop 5 times in 18 months...I bought a new vehicle so I would not have down time...This is not the answer
@mbplumber
Hope you get this - your not alone and we feel your pain. But many Americans have a high tolerance / acceptance of poor quality. We got blasted here for complaining but as engineers and used to trouble free Hondas and Toyotas, we have little patience for piss poor engineering and quality. Also many in the forum don't have a high value of downtime or depend on their vehicle for 24x7 business. So if it takes them 2-3 trips to the dealer, leaving their vehicles for days, they are satisfied.

If it's any consolation:
* Our transmission computerized shifting is so bad, in the wrong gear half the time, it's becoming dangerous.
* Brakes squeal like a injured pig.
* Couldn't get factory swivels and the Sportscraft swivels are crap - wobble, hard to swivel, don't lock in position tight
* Rubber molding around the driver door already broken
* Non adjustable steering wheel and non adjustable uncomfortable seats have taken it's toll with back pain for long driving.
* Turn signal sometimes jumps back and forth (very dangerous on the freeway)
* Tire pressure sensors are flaky - ours is just on steady now
* Oil pressure switch warning (CEL) is on steady now for the last 2 oil changes which showed no problem.

Now some of these things could be fixed with quick decent dealer repairs but most Jeep/Ram dealers don't work on Promasters (seems fewer dealers than MB) and everyone we contacted "leave your van with us" "first appt in 2 weeks", ..... If you depend on your van for business the dealers are worthless.

Forum had story of one poor businessman whose transmission blew and it was like 4-6 weeks before getting fixed.

Honestly, it's hard to just write off $10-20k (especially when paying cash) and then pay more for a Transit or Sprinter (ie a $30k turnaround). But it's necessary. We're evaluating both of those and will switch soon. Swallow hard and make the switch sooner than later - take our advice - stop the bleeding.

ps: only reason even saw your post was in a search to get rid of the oil pressure warning CEL light

·
Super Moderator
10,873 Posts
Ha ha, if you think a Sprinter or Transit will be trouble free you have never visited those sites! Check this out and you will fall in love with your Promaster all over again!

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/

I've owned just about every type and brand of van you could buy, other tha a Transit, and the Promaster is the best by a mile. I would buy another in a second!

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Your complains could indeed be fixed easily, some are not the fault of the van at all. I'd say you won't be happy with the MB or Transit either. Some people are not. You have clearly decided to trash the van and move on instead of getting these minor issues tended to. Hey it's your $10-$20K go for it. I could tell you stories about my Toyota but you have made up your mind its a wonderful brand. Good luck.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If you you guys were really engineers you'd know how easy most of your complaints are to fix. I've had mine for 2 years and 2 months and have had very few problems. I had me parking brake cable freeze in the winter and it took dealer a while to figure it out and the cable broke for the rear door and was fixed in a half hour by my dealer. I just replaced my brake pads and was thoroughly impressed that all four corners, eight pads, were worn perfectly even to 1/8". My last van I would have been on the third set of pads by now and they never wore evenly at all. I'd have 1/2 inch on one pad 1/16th on another...it was ridiculous. Very poorly engineered brake system...But the ProMaster brakes are very well engineered. Pads were easy to replace. I've never had the squeal that others have complained about but I did notice when I ordered my pads that they have the updated "no squeal" pads that require shims. I didn't order those and I still have no squeal.. wonder why?

As for your swivel seat, that is an aftermarket thing that I don't think you can blame RAM for.

Seat comfort is a personal thing, I find mine quite comfortable.

Your turn signal complaint I'm not sure what you mean by jumps around?

The oil pressure switch is a known problem and has happened to a lot of Pentastar equipped vehicles. Get it scheduled to be fixed and keep driving it. They will fix it under warranty won't they?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am a business owner and only have 1 vehicle which is my Promaster. I have had good luck but there are minor things that are a PITA. However, the van overall is great!

The seats in a Sprinter are no better. If you want better seats re-engineer them. I added seat warmers to mine and thought about adding lumbar bags too. Not super hard to take them a part.

The swivels are aftermarket and if you are an engineer build better swivels. Ill buy them from you!

OPS is a pain as mine tripped again but the van still runs.

The turn signal thing happens to me but never found it dangerous. Sometimes when you hit the turn signal for a second but dont engage it to where it clicks it sometimes bounces to the other turn signal. So if I hit the left turn to lane change but dont push down all the way the left turn will come on for a full cycle but then bounce to the right turn for a full cycle. If anything it keeps people away.

I know nothing about the Transit in terms of quality but I am very thankful I didnt buy a Sprinter. Almost bought a used one because it was cheaper, but I would likely have been hosed with the service issues they have. Guy I work with has about 100k on his and his transmission is about to dump on it. That is more than $8k and a common problem with them.

Bummer you have had issues. Wish you the best on your next purchase though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Definitly the worst

This vehicle is just plain junk... Dash is lit up like a christmas tree. abs, airbag, brake light, tire pressure.. the list goes on and on.. in the first 18 months of ownership it was at the dealer for repairs 6 times,sometimes for 2 weeks, and some of the issues have never been resolved. water leaks in from dome light, backing sensors replaced 2x, side and back doors never close properly, I replaced my old van (dodge ram 302K) with a new one so I wouldn't have to worry about downtime for my business.. Would have had less cost and headaches to have the engine and tranny rebuilt on the old one. 2014 Promaster 24K first one sold from the dealer. Never again

1 - 20 of 20 Posts