Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Im in the market for a used promaster with 75-150K miles on it. Naturally, the most common van in this category is the 2014s. Im wondering if there are any serious or known issues with the first models that got fixed the following years, making the 2015s much more valuable to me. Is there any reason I should be wary about buying a used 2014 promaster? Can anyone who owned them chime in to give me some info?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,173 Posts
Other than a bad batch of radiators that we’re all replaced, I can’t really think of anything. My ‘14 has close to 90k on it and runs like a clock.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If under 100K, you'd have the balance of factory powertrain warranty. Depending on the miles you plan to drive, and the miles on the rig you buy, a late 2015 may be worth more simply for the additional warranty. You need to check the in-service date to be sure though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If under 100K, you'd have the balance of factory powertrain warranty. Depending on the miles you plan to drive, and the miles on the rig you buy, a late 2015 may be worth more simply for the additional warranty. You need to check the in-service date to be sure though.
I cant afford a 2015 < 100,000K. Im basically getting an out of warranty vehicle for sure. If i get sub 100k, it barely will be under 100K. I like the idea, but cant afford it. Have you seen any issues on the 2014?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,518 Posts
My 2014 was built September, 2013. Looking at its VIN, it may even be one of the first 5,000 manufactured. I had some minor warrantied door adjustment issues that I attributed to the factory learning curve, but probably not, given that other years have them, too. 66,000 miles and running like a champ. As with any used purchase, check the service record--including the 60,000 mile transmission service nobody tells us about.

I suggest that you get on a ladder and examine the seams on the roof. Mine have developed hairline cracks, as has at least one other 2014. I don't know if this is model year related or age related. Like most, mine has not been garaged. At any rate, the fix is simple with an afternoon and a $50 roll of Eternabond tape.

And change the battery in the key fob. After 3 years, it's time, so add in the cost of a 2032 button battery. :laugh:

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,255 Posts
Ok, I'll say it, don't get the diesel.

Which model and what's the price point you're look at, if you don't mind me asking.

·
Registered
810 Posts
my 2014 got its bad radiator replaced by another bad one. Still wiffs of collant when you get out.
Squeaky rear spring bushing replacement and its quiet now.
All good so far.
good luck

·
Registered
538 Posts
Mine was built Spring of 14. Had the weepy radiator and a oil pressure sensor go bad. Brakes squealed and then stopped for a while. Back to sqealing again. But it doesn't bother me. LOUD BRAKES SAVE LIVES! LOL.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,995 Posts
Hi,
Have a 2014.

Squeaky brakes that took a long time for FCA to come up with a fix for. Kind of minor I guess but surprisingly irritating :)

There were some recalls -- one involved protecting some of the wiring in the cab area from moisture. So, I'd make sure all the recalls have actually been done, which won't cost anything.

Mine has 40K miles on it with no serious problems.

Gary

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you buy a 14 and it's under 100,000 miles you should still be in warranty. The 15s only had warranty till 60,000 miles I believe. I don't think they changed anything major between the years. Make sure the tranny has been serviced. The 15s have the same issues as the 14s. Bottom line is they are the same vans as far as I'm aware. I love my 14, 120,000 miles on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts