Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
The updated mount is used because the mounts can break after being retorqued down and cause the transmission to fall down. I have had to do quite a few repairs due to this issue
What’s in the update? New bolts? New mount?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Update. Took the van to a guy. 19 days later I got the van back running a lil rough. I started it the next day to a high pitch squeel that eventually stopped as engine warmed up .I was told I had a rebuilt transmission, a new alternator and a new ignition switch. The transmission was spray painted light grey,(possibly to look new?) the key is intermittently getting stuck in the ignition and after 2 days now the van won't start. I tried to jump it with no success. Looking for a new shop to fix what he didn't and charged me for. :mad:

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Ugh. I feel your pain.
Not 100% sure, but a grey transmission usually means a Jasper - a fully remanufactured trans. Good quality stuff with a warranty. Win!

The key thing is kind of a common issue. I made a video on it. But a dead battery will trap the key. The dash light with a picture of a battery is quite accurate - if the batt light is on, it’s not charging. If it’s not on, it is charging. I mention this because issues with the key can actually be issues with the battery/charging system.

Reactions: CoriM

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes you are being scammed. It is NOT a Mercedes transmission. FCA only has two transmissions they use in Promaster vans a semi-auto only used with the Diesel engine and a regular Chrysler automatic used in just about every gas powered Chrysler minivan ever made in the past 15 years. A complete transmission is worth under $4000 installed, max!

Can someone tell me if a
62te 6 transmission from a town & country will fit in my 2017 Promaster 3500 and if not why?
Or will it work but maybe not with the same speed ?

·
Super Moderator
10,868 Posts
Yes it will but the final gearing is a bit different (but not that difficult to change, I understand).

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT Camper Conversion in CT (TX for now due to Covid)
1,042 Posts
Can someone tell me if a
62te 6 transmission from a town & country will fit in my 2017 Promaster 3500 and if not why?
Physically you can make it work, but the gearing is not the same, you would need to change it because the town and country gearing is too tall, the van can barely hold the top gears at highway speed (75 in Texas) as it is, you would probably have to drive in 4th with the town and country transmission and might be sluggish from a stop as well.

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT Camper Conversion in CT (TX for now due to Covid)
1,042 Posts
Update. Took the van to a guy. 19 days later I got the van back running a lil rough. I started it the next day to a high pitch squeel that eventually stopped as engine warmed up .I was told I had a rebuilt transmission, a new alternator and a new ignition switch. The transmission was spray painted light grey,(possibly to look new?) the key is intermittently getting stuck in the ignition and after 2 days now the van won't start. I tried to jump it with no success. Looking for a new shop to fix what he didn't and charged me for. :mad:
Guessing you have a bad connection. A charging issue is a possiblity but a loose ground connection can also cause this issue. A lot of connections got plugged, unplugged and reconnected in the process so that is my guess based on what I have experienced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes it will but the final gearing is a bit different (but not that difficult to change, I understand).
When you say it's not difficult to change is that maybe because you're a transmission mechanic? I've never what's the transmission before do you happen to have any link to a video how to change the gearing?

·
Super Moderator
10,868 Posts
No I’m not a transmission mechanic and I don’t pretend to be one. I’m only reporting what you would have discovered if you had searched the forum archives. Transmission repair is for trained mechanics not people who trust in uTube.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Can someone tell me if a
It’s been something I’ve been meaning to try for years, since a used minivan trans is $600, and a promaster specific one is 1200-2500.
The way to find out is pick a basket of 20 parts on the pm exploded trans diagram, and do the same for a minivan. If the part numbers match, it’ll work.
My guess is that it would work fine, with two exceptions. One is that final gear. I’m not certain, but I think that gearing is contained in the diff (like on a rwd rear) and if that’s the case then you could swap it in 5 minutes.
But the second problem is the output speed sensor. It’s going to cause the computer to throw a code, since it’s value is not what the computer expects to see. Fine, but your cruise control probably wouldnt work, and the computer may throw the van into limp mode.
Can the computer be reprogrammed for a different final? Dunno. That’d be a Jeep guy question, since they do that kind of stuff and the computers are the same.
Assuming that all worked, it seems to me that you could lock the trans in 5th and get your gearing back near stock. I’d have to math it all out. You’d be going from (I think) 3.86 to 3.37. If so, that 87.3% so instead of 2000rpm at 60mph you’d be at 1746rpm. That’s be pretty low torque but might work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Ugh. I feel your pain.
Not 100% sure, but a grey transmission usually means a Jasper - a fully remanufactured trans. Good quality stuff with a warranty. Win!

The key thing is kind of a common issue. I made a video on it. But a dead battery will trap the key. The dash light with a picture of a battery is quite accurate - if the batt light is on, it’s not charging. If it’s not on, it is charging. I mention this because issues with the key can actually be issues with the battery/charging system.

Ugh. I feel your pain.

Thank you KOT, great video. The new mechanic thinks I need a starter. Have any idea what that should cost me? I also need Struts on the front.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Thank you KOT, great video. The new mechanic thinks I need a starter. Have any idea what that should cost me? I also need Struts on the front.
Starters are cheap, and easy to install. Maybe $200 parts and 2 hours labor.

struts are a bigger job. Since I made this video Rockauto sells a complete cartridge for like $140 a side.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Starters are cheap, and easy to install. Maybe $200 parts and 2 hours labor.

struts are a bigger job. Since I made this video Rockauto sells a complete cartridge for like $140 a side.
thank you for the info.:) Can you tell me where the ASD main relay is located?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I am unfamiliar with that acronym. If you mean the starter relay, its in the underhood fusebox, lower left corner, 1 relay above the corner relay. If you intend to jump it to test the starter, make CERTAIN the key is in run, otherwise youll trip the security system and will have to tow it to a dealer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I am unfamiliar with that acronym. If you mean the starter relay, its in the underhood fusebox, lower left corner, 1 relay above the corner relay. If you intend to jump it to test the starter, make CERTAIN the key is in run, otherwise youll trip the security system and will have to tow it to a dealer.
that ads main relay code came up on the scan. Ok we got it started. now a code is coming up saying low input from transmission. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,757 Posts
FYI,
Automatic Shutdown (ASD) Relay if you believe the internet it's the main relay,
maybe this one?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,757 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Assuming that’s low voltage to a transmission related sensor. As a knee jerk, I’d be looking at the thrre things that plug into the trans, but spefically at the big multipin connevtor on the trans. Bent pins, dirt, flaky wiring, etc.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts