Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was sitting in a parking space and put it in reverse to back up off of a sprinkler head that just had come on and was shooting up into my engine. I had just spent a bunch of $ the day before on the electronic throttle control sensor and throttle body cleaning. When I put into reverse, the van jumped backward and there was a crunchy bang. The key were stuck in the ignition and and the gearshift would not come out of gear. Later I was able to get it to move thru the gears but wasn't ever able to get the key out. I found a piece of fresh cast iron broken piece on the ground under the van. I was told it was a part of the transmission mount. it was towed and I was told that it was a Mercedes transmission and the shop quoted me $10,000 to fix it. Has anyone had this problem? does it require a new trans.? and are there different transmissions that will go in this van? $10,000 just seems very high. I sensed that being a female that I was being scammed. help :(

·
Super Moderator
10,864 Posts
Yes you are being scammed. It is NOT a Mercedes transmission. FCA only has two transmissions they use in Promaster vans a semi-auto only used with the Diesel engine and a regular Chrysler automatic used in just about every gas powered Chrysler minivan ever made in the past 15 years. A complete transmission is worth under $4000 installed, max!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you are being scammed. It is NOT a Mercedes transmission. FCA only has two transmissions they use in Promaster vans a semi-auto only used with the Diesel engine and a regular Chrysler automatic used in just about every gas powered Chrysler minivan ever made in the past 15 years. A complete transmission is worth under $4000 installed, max!
Thank you for the info! :) $4000 for rebuilt or new?

·
Super Moderator
10,864 Posts
A used one in excellent condition from a recycler

·
Registered
892 Posts
Any shop thinking it’s Mercedes, you should run from. Many years ago, when Mercedes owned Chrysler, the van was badged a Dodge, but it was a Mercedes Sprinter van actually.

From 2014 on….under the new owners of Chrysler (Fiat), the van is a Fiat Ducato upgraded for the US market with a full Chrysler drivetrain and badged RAM, not Dodge. A much better van than the old one.

$4000 is a rebuilt, often called new, but is actually a factory rebuilt. They can also be locally shop rebuilt, if you trust the shop. 3rd option is low mileage junkyard transmission from any mini van.

·
Super Moderator
10,864 Posts
If you have a broken transmission case that means you need a different transmission. Rebuilding it is not possible without replacing the case. I think you need to find a competent transmission shop and stay away from any dealer or shop that tells you it’s a mercedes.

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT Camper Conversion in CT (TX for now due to Covid)
1,042 Posts
Its a regular 6 speed auto, with different gearing but otherwise the same as the dodge caravan. You won't be able to find a used one as cheap as a caravan (which can be found with low mileage for under $2000) but it is not a 10,000 piece even brand new from the factory with installation, a low mile promaster transmission should be around $2000 used.

There is no way to get to $10,000 for a transmission for these things. One of two things is happening here, they are ignorant, in which case you should run away, or they are trying to rip you off, in which case you should run away.

You can't just use the minivan transmission as is because of the gearing differences. I believe it is possible to mix parts to make it work, but I would not bother, either a rebuilt unit or low mileage used unit will work. Even a brand new one is not 10,000.

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT Camper Conversion in CT (TX for now due to Covid)
1,042 Posts
3rd option is low mileage junkyard transmission from any mini van.
Not without some modifications as the gearing and is different, the promaster has a different final drive ratio, the minivan transmission will have too high of gearing, the promaster already has trouble holding top gear about 70-75 mph, it would never make it with the minivan trans.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Last time I replaced my transmission with a brand new factory tranny it came with an updated transmission mount. I wonder if you actually have a broken mount, just wondering because that shop definatly doesn't know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You guys are great! Thanks so much for all the info! (It's in the shop now, not the shop that quoted me $10K)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi again :( So the new shop says now that I need a new alternator. is this a possibility that the trans and alt, went out at once? AND because you probably know off the top of your head, what should a new alt. plus labor cost? when it rains it pours...First the electronic throttle control, then position sensor, then transmission, now alternator? all at the the same time? 111,000 miles? I hate feeling like I can't believe people when I'm paying them. I trust you all more :)

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Lots to say about this, but lots of unknowns. The piece of metal you posted looks to me like the outside of the trans case, meaning you actually hit something, and it chipped this piece off the transmission. That could destroy a trans, but I think not.
But from what I gather, the die is cast in that it’s already in the shop and being fixed.
The alternator is probably unrelated, but then again there may be wiring damage under the van that could affect the alternator. In a higher priced shop, with expensive factory parts, you could pay $800-1000 for an alternator. In a cheap shop, with a remanufactured alternator, perhaps $500.
What state are you located in?

Reactions: RV8R

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lots to say about this, but lots of unknowns. The piece of metal you posted looks to me like the outside of the trans case, meaning you actually hit something, and it chipped this piece off the transmission. That could destroy a trans, but I think not.
But from what I gather, the die is cast in that it’s already in the shop and being fixed.
The alternator is probably unrelated, but then again there may be wiring damage under the van that could affect the alternator. In a higher priced shop, with expensive factory parts, you could pay $800-1000 for an alternator. In a cheap shop, with a remanufactured alternator, perhaps $500.
What state are you located in?
Dallas, TX

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Well for information to all of you the piece looks to be the transmission mount that has a known failure and any time I pull a tranny on a 14 Promaster that has never been out has to get a new tranny mount and all new bolts per Chrysler.
My limited understanding is that the trans mount upgrade thing was a deal where the early mounts, if the van got bashed in the drivers side, would fail and the trans case would crack. I personally have r&r’d multiple 2014 trannys, and have never used the updated mount or new bolts. To date, no issues.

Reactions: CoriM

·
Registered
14 Posts
My limited understanding is that the trans mount upgrade thing was a deal where the early mounts, if the van got bashed in the drivers side, would fail and the trans case would crack. I personally have r&r’d multiple 2014 trannys, and have never used the updated mount or new bolts. To date, no issues.
The updated mount is used because the mounts can break after being retorqued down and cause the transmission to fall down. I have had to do quite a few repairs due to this issue

1 - 20 of 41 Posts