Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After one week in the dealer the alternator and belt are not available in any dealer, warehouse or distribution center in the United States, Mexico, or Canada. I have a tentative date of 12/29/2015 for the alternator but still no eta for the belt. Call Dodge Corporate Customer Service and was told that they did not or could not answer why these parts are on back order and not available in the north american continent. But they did forward my parts order to a department that may be able to get the parts faster. Has any one ever had any hot alternator problems on the eco diesel engines? The reason I ask is I think that there may be a large failure rate and the factory can not get replacement parts fast enough. So if anyone has had a alternator and belt replaced it would be of interest to know the number of replacements done. The only other reason could be a lack of production an they can not make the parts fast enough for new trucks for sale. So if you have a Promaster diesel and have had a alternator problem please post.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the same belt and it is for the a/c compressor I think there are two separate belts one for a/c and one for the alternator.
Thanks for looking and what did you mean as to google been there and alternators were not there for purchase as well as the belt? Or did you mean there is a post like this one to get more replies? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I meant the belt was available, easy to find and a search should get the rest, but you say no? I stopped looking because I thought the dealer had not googled. Best luck finding it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Finding the alternator itself might be tricky because the manufacturer's don't always let you know the actual alternator manufacturer's part number. For my Yanmar diesel I had to resort to looking for the Hitachi alternator by specs and measurements to avoid paying stupid prices. But from the pictures the alternator belt looks like a regular v-belt so I would imagine you could measure the old one and look it up by measurements on Gates website. I'd measure mine but not until it comes the end of January.
I am curious as to who makes the alternator for the diesel Promaster.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I will update the outcome when the truck is back on the road. But still waiting for parts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update well after 1 day shy for 3 weeks the alternator and belt is replaced and running good. Found out that the diesel engine has 2 belts 1 for the alternator and 1 for the ac. The belt numbers are 6pk1160 for the alternator and 4pk1135 for the ac. Hope the parts become more available in the future.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Suggest you might find an online seller of these belts. There was several of them when I Googled the numbers. Pick up one extra of each to keep in van.
Lots of Sprinter owners do this. Fuel filters too

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
409 Posts
Can anyone get the dimensions of the alternator for the diesel? - and maybe pictures of the alternator and its mounting location?

I am doing an RV conversion, and found out after I had already bought the 24V batteries and inverter that brackets for a second alternator weren't available (or at least easily available) for the ecodiesel - leaving me with no easy way to charge the house batteries while on the road. I'm looking into alternative sources for brackets (any help welcome!) and also into dual voltage alternators to replace the factory alternator, but I need to know what sort of mounting and space I would have to work with.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts