Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2300 miles on my 2500 /159. On my way back from a hot shot run the airbag light came on and wouldn't go off. The owners manual says to take it back to the dealer. The dealer says it is showing 2 codes and would need to keep it and put me in a rental. I also told them that when I approached close to 75-80 mph it sounded like something was coming loose under the hood. It was very windy that day so l wonder if that had anything to do with the 2 issues. Idk. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
166 Posts
alot of times those airbag lights are just the connectors acting niggly. Usually nothing to worry about but in this case within 10 days of buying is not exactly a good sign.

did they mention what codes it was flashing?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm sure it isn't a major problem but it sucks to have that happen within a few days of buying the Promaster. How long are they going to keep it? Hope that it is an isolated problem and isn't going to happen to other people's Promaster too.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not good, but it is a new vehicle, so this kind of stuff is expected.
Hopefully it wont take too long to fix.
Shouldn't problems be less frequent on a new vehicle. It's not even really a new model since it is basically a rebadged Fiat Ducato. Problems shouldn't happen that quick on a model that has been sold the world over.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Shouldn't problems be less frequent on a new vehicle. It's not even really a new model since it is basically a rebadged Fiat Ducato. Problems shouldn't happen that quick on a model that has been sold the world over.
Not with first year production vehicles but being early in it's production cycle issues are always to be expected. Usually mid-production cycle or near the end will you see the models with the least amount of issues as they have been worked out by then

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was put in the shop Tuesday and they still have it. They said they were waiting on a part and hoped that fixed the problem. Getting frustrated. They just called and said they replaced the part but still sending a code.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its going on the 9th day of them having it. The techs and dealership have a call in to Chrysler to figure out the problem. I am losing business and told them that they would need to compensate me for the loss of revenue and they said they would get with the district mgr. ****. They have had it almost as many days as I have owned it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
If it's drivable, I'd take it back. Tell them to call you when they get their act together.

I had a bad experience with Chrysler years ago on a truck. My transmission was blowing fluid from the cooling line. The line had rusted thru in 20,000 miles. The dealer could not look at my truck for one week. So I kept the truck and drove it into the ground blowing fluid. When they finally could be bothered taking care of me, they had to replace the transmission under warranty.

I had hoped Chrysler's days of poor service at dealers was over. It doesn't sound like it to me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If it's drivable, I'd take it back. Tell them to call you when they get their act together.

I had a bad experience with Chrysler years ago on a truck. My transmission was blowing fluid from the cooling line. The line had rusted thru in 20,000 miles. The dealer could not look at my truck for one week. So I kept the truck and drove it into the ground blowing fluid. When they finally could be bothered taking care of me, they had to replace the transmission under warranty.

I had hoped Chrysler's days of poor service at dealers was over. It doesn't sound like it to me.
Never forget, though, that the dealer runs his own business ,and Chrysler cannot micromanage them. The real issue is that most of them just don't try very hard when you have an issue.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Its going on the 9th day of them having it. The techs and dealership have a call in to Chrysler to figure out the problem. I am losing business and told them that they would need to compensate me for the loss of revenue and they said they would get with the district mgr. ****. They have had it almost as many days as I have owned it.
Not that this will help you any, but this seems to be the way many car companies do business. It is the reason I hate the thought of buying any new vehicle, there is always some BS that goes with it. I mean I ordered a Promaster back in November. The dealer said it would be in after the first of the year, now its the end of March. I bought it to replace the 2005, low roof 1500 Freightliner that I bought new. Which, by the way the dealer only offered me 3 k for if I traded it in. Gee, thanks.
I owned the Freightliner four months and the computer went. The dealer had the van for almost four weeks. They said the part /computer was on "national backorder". I called then Daimler Chrysler after three weeks and asked how they could sell trucks that people make their living with and not stock parts for them, the guy hung up on me. About 6 six months later, the same thing happened, or so I thought. Only this time I was 380 miles from home and had to have it towed to the nearest Freightliner dealer 60 miles away. It was a Monday, so I figured I'm in luck. Wrong. The service manager tells me, "the Sprinter tech doesn't work on Monday". I asked if he could have somebody just look at it, hoping it was something simple. But no, everybody was busy and that there was a hotel across the street or I could call for a rental car, which I ended up doing. I drove the 320 miles home and got a call two days later saying it was all set, it was a blown fuse!
I have dealt with three different Freightliner dealers over the years and was never very happy with any of them. (one of the reasons I'm not buying another one)
So the bottom line is; you want a new vehicle, this is what you have to put up with. You may get a good one, or you may not. Hopefully they can get the "bugs" out and you can enjoy a few years trouble free before normal wear and tear rears its ugly head.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got it back on yesterday. It had a pinched wire in the seat that made the airbag light go on. Now I am going to go to work on Dodge to see if they can compensate me for the lost revenue from keeping my van 10 days.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks for the follow up. Good to know what to look for in a situation like that. To me taking a vehicle to a dealer for service is like taking the wife to a brothel for a pelvic exam.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Thanks for the follow up. Good to know what to look for in a situation like that. To me taking a vehicle to a dealer for service is like taking the wife to a brothel for a pelvic exam.
Lol!
Taking a vehicle to a dealer for service is like playing pick up sticks with
your but cheeks. (John Candy in Planes/Trains/and automobles.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did talk to Chrysler customer service to see if they would comp me for my lost revenue and time. I started high. They came back with comp for 1 PM payment. I haven't agreed to that yet and am still working on them for more bc I feel they can do more .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They kept the van 5 days the 2nd time it was in the shop. They said a wire was loose in the headliner. HUH. Good to go for about a month and the airbag light has come on again. After the 2nd time the Chrysler case manager agreed to making 2 payments for the inconvenience. Now that I am about to take it in for a 3rd time for the same problem I contacted my case manager again to see about declaring this one a lemon. They started the process and a case to see about it. I feel it is a major safety issue and want it addressed bc I don't feel safe in it at all. What if the bag deploys prematurely or doesn't deploy at all in an accident. Tired and frustrated with the van. Costing me time and $$$ every time I have to put it in the shop. I haven't even owned it for 3 months yet.

·
Registered
386 Posts
They kept the van 5 days the 2nd time it was in the shop. They said a wire was loose in the headliner. HUH. Good to go for about a month and the airbag light has come on again. After the 2nd time the Chrysler case manager agreed to making 2 payments for the inconvenience. Now that I am about to take it in for a 3rd time for the same problem I contacted my case manager again to see about declaring this one a lemon. They started the process and a case to see about it. I feel it is a major safety issue and want it addressed bc I don't feel safe in it at all. What if the bag deploys prematurely or doesn't deploy at all in an accident. Tired and frustrated with the van. Costing me time and $$$ every time I have to put it in the shop. I haven't even owned it for 3 months yet.
****...... hopefully you either get a new promaster or you get your money back

sounds like a huge sour lemon to me

1 - 20 of 23 Posts