Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming from rear wheel drive commercial cargo vans, I have had my fair share of trouble with rear wheel drive. But since the Dodge Ram Promaster is only offer in front wheel drive Dodge must have a reason to do this. So what are the benefits?

·
Registered
363 Posts
what troubles did you have with your RWD cargo van?

one of the main benefits that I learned from an official RAM Video was that the front wheel drive setup allows space in the rear end to be freed so the floor can be lowered, making it easier to get in and out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The only problems I had in the past with the rwd is when I don't have any cargo or any weight in the back I would lose traction in the rear. The way I actually solved the problem was to make sure there is load in the back or some decent weight. But the only time was when it was wet outside but if you live in colder regions you might suffer when it snows.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have read about issue on another board as well. I think it's pretty common issue amongst rear wheel drive vehicles though. In North America the Promaster will be popular with the tradesman filling the van with tools and heavy supplies. I think that would increase tire wear to the front as opposed to the rear. The only benefit that I can logically see front this is the lower load floor bed increasing the height for cargo space.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The traction issue is a problem for all drivetrains regardless. For snow conditions you would need winter tires for the optimum traction. The canucks will tell you that since they have to deal with more of those kind of conditions. And for tire wear you is the same as any vehicle, You need to get it serviced and "ROTATED" for best tread wear.

And yes the rear floor bed height capacity is lower. SO this is not only beneficial to have more space but the loading zone is lower too for better and easier loading in.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Taking in to account for traction even if you did have an all wheel drive Promaster without proper tires and the works your not going anywhere in snow. People have this idea where an all wheel drive would be best for winter but in fact you do need winter tires to get the most out of that drivetrain. If Dodge did come out with an all wheel drive Promaster I'd still go for the front wheel drive. It has more space in the rear as I mentions before and the biggest thing is the fuel consumption with all wheel drive. THe promaster has a good fuel economy so why ruin it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well for those conditions wouldn't an AWD Dodge Promaster be more suitable?
Unfortunately there is no AWD Promaster. For an AWD cargo van you can buy a GMC Savanna Cargo Van or a Chevy Express. Ford also has some but you would have to buy an older one from before 2007, when they decided to remove the AWD option.

·
Registered
386 Posts
AWD would be great but it adds to cost, weight, complexity, maintenance.

I think for most people it is not necessary.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Unfortunately that is the cost you have to pay when you want all wheel drive. I think Dodge thought it through and just went back to being mainstream with making rear wheel drive box vans. If any one does need an all wheel drive then dodge's ram truck line will suffice that.

·
Registered
41 Posts

That is right, owning an all wheel drive has its benefits but when you measure it out unless you most definitely need it for the terrain your driving in the upkeep is a pain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts