Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering the Dodge Promaster to replace my current business delivery vehicle and came across the it by accident. I read somewhere that the Promaster is pretty much just a rebadge model from another country. Since we know so little of the new Promaster maybe we can speculate and find references on just how reliable it's sister model is.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The model you are talking is the Fiat Ducato. The Ducato is renowned for It's Italian styling in the exterior and interior making it more a a business man van more than just a cargo van which the Dodge Promaster is better know for. I find that the Ducato is more stylish and classy than the plain jane Promaster but I have no time for that concern. I didn't forget the main purpose of the vehicle.

Right now the Fiat ducato is known best for it's strong engine more so the 3.0 Liter Diesel engine making it almost too easy carry heavy loads and doing it efficiently. But out of all the competitors the Ducato is has a good looking cabin with nice looking instrument panels. Hopefully the U.S. counter part the Promaster can carry some of those traits to shine in the North American market.

This is how the ducato looks like

·
Registered
51 Posts
the Dodge Promaster is not all that different from the Fiat Ducato and that model you posted is a 2012 I believe. The only things that are different is the chrome trimming which Fiat is known for. They done this with every vehicle, you look at the Dodge dart and Fiat viaggio. The viaggio is much more classier. And dodge is just more... Dodge! plain black interiors and all the panels look the same in each vehicle up to the corvette too. It would be nice if the Ducato was forsale in the U.S. who doesnt want their bang for their buck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I read the Fiat Ducato offered a six-speed manual transmission in its diesel model. My question is does the Ram ProMaster have this as well?

·
Registered
100 Posts
The model you are talking is the Fiat Ducato. The Ducato is renowned for It's Italian styling in the exterior and interior making it more a a business man van more than just a cargo van which the Dodge Promaster is better know for. I find that the Ducato is more stylish and classy than the plain jane Promaster but I have no time for that concern. I didn't forget the main purpose of the vehicle.

Right now the Fiat ducato is known best for it's strong engine more so the 3.0 Liter Diesel engine making it almost too easy carry heavy loads and doing it efficiently. But out of all the competitors the Ducato is has a good looking cabin with nice looking instrument panels. Hopefully the U.S. counter part the Promaster can carry some of those traits to shine in the North American market.

This is how the ducato looks like
Front end on the Fiat Ducato looks much better than the Ram ProMaster's front. Too bad the front bumper on these aren't painted, the Fiat Ducato would look much better with a color matched bumper IMO.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The only noticeable difference comparing the promaster to the ducato is the chrome trimming around the grill area. The ducato doesn't look that much different except for the exterior color.

·
Registered
62 Posts
For now Dodge is stating that there is no manual transmission that pairs up with the Penstar engine. But who knows maybe they might in the future if you really hoping for it. But I don't think it is going to happen now if they didn't do it from the beginning.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An automatic transmission would be more convenient for the drive. Just taking in consideration for me at least that I have to move things in and out of the van myself so less work on the feet is best. Manual clutches on these trucks are heavy and could be a real pain in start and stop traffic. So just think about that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
An automatic transmission would be more convenient for the drive. Just taking in consideration for me at least that I have to move things in and out of the van myself so less work on the feet is best. Manual clutches on these trucks are heavy and could be a real pain in start and stop traffic. So just think about that.
Automatic or even a dual clutch transmission. Seems to be a lot of hype surrounding dual clutch transmissions, I know they have been great for performance and fuel economy in passenger vehicles, not sure how well it would be in a commercial cargo vehicle, but if it helps to get better fuel economy....why not!

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Ram Promaster would be benefiting from a automatic transmission if you think about it. With the type of automatic transmissions these day it does all the right and accurate shifting efficiently for fuel saving matter. An the manual mode for those different conditions on the road. I'm not one to argue for automatic.

·
Registered
100 Posts
a dual clutch transmission is the way to go, as the production years go by for the promaster I think we could expect a DCT transmission to become available. DCT's are slowly starting to become the industry's new automatic transmission, starting with more mainstream passenger vehicles for now...

·
Registered
13 Posts
a dual clutch transmission is the way to go, as the production years go by for the promaster I think we could expect a DCT transmission to become available. DCT's are slowly starting to become the industry's new automatic transmission, starting with more mainstream passenger vehicles for now...
Cvt transmission are going to be offered now but with the DCT transmission taking over for new vehicles. when ever something new comes up the transmission before gets cheap because of the demand its only a matter of time till this happens to the DCT transmission.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Like mentioned above the new Promaster's are nothing more than rebadged Fiat Ducato's, it's a good thing it's like that too, at least Fiat did all the work to get the Ducato line up to where it is now working out all of the issues that any new vehicle has.

If it wasn't for Fiat I doubt the ProMaster would be as good as it is on paper, now if it was 100% dodge, we would end up with something line this ....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts