Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
144,600 miles and the dealer tells me my high top 2500 needs a PCM (this will be the 4th one in 144K,most under warranty) ,BUT they cannot get one as they are "backordered for at least 45 days at this point..." .

They seem to have no idea why these things keep dying ,and I am baffled that this van was working OK until it was parked at a local shop for a few months and the battery (new last year) went dead and when charged up it would not start but tossed a error message saying "Fuel Filter" . Towed to the dealer and they say "PCM".

So the van sits there at the dealership (where I bought it new) and I am searching the net for an OEM one, #68160194AM --which I now understand replaces the old number 68160194AB.
Several vendors online seem to have another # version with the suffix letters different, but claim it will work in a 2014 diesel as well.
Does anyone have suggestions? There is no aftermarket version of the Promaster PCM from what dealers/vendors tell me, and I have always tried to use only OEM parts anyway, but I am even considering a used one at this point as I have been without the van for months now.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi there, sentinel,

If your vehicle is currently at the dealership, we may be able to help. Please send us a direct message if you'd like us to look into this for you!

Callie
Ram Cares

·
Registered
2015 2500 diesel, 159WB high roof, NC
16 Posts
In general the suffixes at the back end of the part # shouldn’t matter those are just part supercessions. At least on Mopar parts, now Ford is another story. So 123456AA should be the same as 123456AB, 123456AG, etc. The AG being the latest part # of course.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had suspected that as the "updated" numbers just have two letter suffixes that are different over a 4 year period it seems. Haven't been able to get a clear answer from any dealer/vendor, other than "It is compatible"
But paying 818 bucks for one only to find out it won't work would be a bummer X 10

1 - 4 of 4 Posts