Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Set up for off grid camping. 1500 136 White. Miles just over 60,000 with recent 60,000 miles service completed, all records on hand. Custom build completed August 2019 (all equipment bought over the summer of 2019, all manuals and receipts.) All birch plywood 3/4 and 1/2" construction. Lagun table. Insulated with Thinsulate on walls, polysi on floor and ceiling, with sound dampening layer as well. Bed width 6'2". Aluminum rack and ladder. 12V DC system w 300 watts of solar, Victron charger, with Blue Seas ACR powering 3 Firefly Oasis carbon foam batteries ($1,500), with Victron power gauge. Blueseas fuse panel with ACR and solar shutoff switches, although typically not needed, solar keeps up. Everything fused appropriately. Propane stove and Propex heater, Viking see thru propane tank with locker. 26 gallon water tank, w 6" cleaning port, and pump for running water. Water filtration system. Large TruckFridge TF 130 refrigerator. 2000 watt Renogy Pure Sin Wave Inverter w on off switch in cabin. w GFCI outlets. All dimmable LED lights. Vernt Fan, 10 speed w thermostat and remote, Trap door shower pan, shower curtain hooks on ceiling. LP CO2 detector. Yakima skybox on top for garage. Lots of storage. New Hankook AT2 tires, heavy rated version to achieve proper pressure and haul capacity. Insulated window shades, large CR Laurence window on door slider, cab curtains. This is my second build, which I improved upon the last. I have sailing and carpentry experience which guided the build. We just drove the van to Todos Santos, Baja and back over a couple of months. This layout is somewhat unique, as I have not seen a shower in a 136 size. Other items included: Traction mats, air compressor, plug kit, saw, shovel, fire extinguisher, and lots of spares from build such as struts, LEDs, etc. We would keep the van if we could afford a van and a sailboat. We love this rig. Lien by Asheville, NC bank.

Asking $54,500

Photos on Craigslist Asheville.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
My 2014 was built September 2013. According to the VIN, this one appears to have been built earlier, so make that six years. I also don’t understand putting this effort into an older vehicle.

It does appear to be a nicely crafted build. I also have a shower in my 136”, but I have a way to make sure the curtain walls (and water) stay in the pan. What’s yours?

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
Everyone has an inflated idea of the worth of their van and many people are just poor shoppers and/or make poor decisions.
If this was a brand new 159, 2500 '19 or even '18 with 0 miles it might be worth the asking price and perhaps the OP will even get it or come close. I hope so as it only makes the rest of ours worth that much more

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
KOV thinks you might have to discount the conversion because of the age of the van. I expect he is right. As our vans' age more will be for sale and the market will give us insight. I have a converted 2015 diesel with 80K miles and I would be happy to get $35,000 if I needed or wanted to sell.

·
Registered
736 Posts
It is a nice build. From just what can be seen in the pics, very nice.
But it's essentially a $40k+ build.
The van itself is maybe worth $15k on the generous side.
However, there very well could be a buyer out there, looking for this exact setup and has a load of cash on hand. I would value the van and cost for the build and be ok with breaking even on a cash deal.
I don't expect it would be easy for someone to get a bank to finance in this situation. And it might be a stretch to think someone would be willing to pay crazy interest on a $50k personal loan.
Ya never know. I hope it works out.
It's a nice build.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but if someone post something for sale in the classified forum I leave it be.
If someone ask in the general discussion forum if I should buy this van, fair game.

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
The forum tries to "protect"all the users and this is one way (of several) to achieve that goal. Many people that join the forum, simply looking to buy a conversion van, have no real idea of cost, expense or value much less what they are getting themselves into and a full, honest discussion like this is extremely valuable to them.

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
Sherb and all the DIYers out there,
One factor is the labor and materials one put into the conversion. Mine is probably less than most about 200+ hours and about $5,000. If I totaled this, paying myself $50 per hour (probably all I am worth) my total cost would be $15,000 for the conversion and $34,000 for the van = $49,000 total. I have used the conversion and van for perhaps 1/3 of it’s reasonable life of 12-14 years and 200,000 miles. 2/3 of 49,000 is $32,000. See why I said I would value it for about that? Now if you convert a van with 60,000 miles 1/4 of its life is gone and you got no value from that. Also if you spend 400 hours and $12,000 on it you will not be able to get a reasonable return. Not that I know anything about your cost or time as I don’t.
These thoughts led me to do a simple conversion quickly on a new van and then I went out an camped. I will loose money if I sell it but I will have gotten value for that loss. If my time is discounted to nothing (closer to my worth) then my loss at this time is a few thousand dollars. Way less than the value it has returned.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The white board from HD, like shower wall material, construction glued to walls overlapping stepped pan lip. Then caulked seams. It is not painted, the white in the pics is the plastic vinyl material about 20" high. We use it primarily as a bidet w a portable shower up on the step.

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
And Sherb, I do want you to get a great price and feel good about the work you did!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts