Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, I,ve owned the 2014 ram promaster 2500 diesel since Jan/14. Daily delivery with the van currently. This Forum has been very helpful and I'd like to share any knowledge I have gained since the purchase. This Van is my livelihood and have had some bad luck to share.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’d love to hear about your experience. I’m currently looking at a 2014 diesel 4 cylinder to build out. It has 70k miles and is priced decently. It sounds like you haven’t been to fond of your dodge. Will you please share your experiences?

Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I’ve been combing through the forums. It sounds like diesel PMs made before 2015 have more problems. Also dealing with finding parts/mechanics can be a nightmare on top of all that.

Has that been your experience KeepOnVanning?

·
Super Moderator
10,478 Posts
No, I don’t have a diesel but the biggest problem seems to be a lack of parts and competent mechanics to diagnose and repair them. Far too many horror stories and it’s an orphan. You’re just begging for problems down the line. At least the gas engine & tranny parts are readily available and repairable and no shortage of knowledgeable mechanics.

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
My 2015 with 78K miles has been faultless. I don’t want to ever have to have the diesel repaired at a dealer so when the 100K warrantee is up I will go to a diesel shop.
It delivers great mileage and is a wonderful long distance runner. I would not buy one for short delivery, or service work as it needs to be driven about 30 minutes minimum to let the regenerations complete. They happen every few hundred miles do a stop and go driver will have problems. Guys like the OP tend to have problems with the emissions due to their use habits. I can almost tell you what he has had for problems. Don’t buy one used that way.
Used gassers can be a problem too as the transmissions tend to have a short life and are expensive to repair. The early ones also tend to need oil cooler/filter housings replaced and oil senders too. All that is under the intake and often that is impossible to remove as the bolts rust.
High mileage diesels may actually have less repair costs if they have a fairly clean history and were serviced but who knows really?
KOV has been down on diesels since he owned a Sprinter. ‘Nuf Said?

·
Super Moderator
10,478 Posts
Actually my diesel Sprinter engine was fine the electrics and emissions were horrendous.
RD babies his diesel and as he says most of them have been (ab)used commercially and it’s a crap shot what you will get used.

·
Registered
3 Posts
RD, I’ve read a lot of your posts and I really appreciate and respect your insights.

My passions in life lie outside of mechanics. My experience ends after changing the oil or popping on a spare. With that said I’m feeling more comfortable with the gas as of right now

I try to save the $$$ when and whereI can. Fortunately I have a decent paying jobs where a 1-3k repair far from being the end of the world for me.

The diesel I’m looking at is significantly cheaper than comparable gassers. Any insights? Clean title

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
I just have my experience and a few diesel owners I have met. We are all happy. Watching here, the short haul users have had lots of problems as they are not letting the regenerations happen and mostly don’t know when they are happening. This leads to a nightmare of issues with stuff they swear are not related but are. There have been very few transmission or clutch issues but wow when there are you’d think it was an FCA plot against them. Do not use both feet driving as it gets recorded as an error and can cause the clutch to disengage and eventually will light the CEL.
Yes KOV, I do use my van properly, that is, I know when a regen is happening and I let it finish, it is seldom an issue and you can interrupt one bit it needs to be allowed to continue when the van is next run. I just let it sit for the 5-10 minutes it takes to finish. I have never seen a notice to let it finish as that is an error message for those who interrupt them all the time. I am in the process of changing the DOT4 fluid for the clutch actuators and the brakes. I will change the Transmission fluid at 80K miles. I changed the fuel filter at 50K and will do that at 100K. I do my own oil changes with the proper Euro spec diesel oil (9 qts) at about 10K+ miles and this is the easiest oil and filter change of any vehicle I have ever had. The oil change and filter cost me $70. I could go longer but I don’t. I buy DEF from a busy Walmart and get their brand for $7.88 per 2.5 gallons. It needs topping up about every 7,000 miles and takes 4 gallons. I don’t buy it from anywhere that leves it outside like gas stops. It cannot take heat.
Take the VIN to a dealer and get a history report from FCA, have them print it out.
If the van ever needs glow plugs you need to go to a diesel shop experienced in removing them. FCA does not know how and will break them off and tell you a new head is required when they can be drilled out. The injectors need a special tool to remove and I am not sure my dealer has it. All Promaster's get water on the heads and that makes this more difficult.
I have saved more than the price of rhe diesel option by driving this instead of a gasser and if I need to do some of those things in the future I hope to break even. Saving on the initial purchase you are gaining as well.
Don’t believe the diesel is a huge set of problems and the gasser a perfect vehicle as you often hear. Both will need good care, good service and need unexpected repairs. I am not convinced the diesel will need more or be more expensive to repair as the weaknesses of the gasser are pretty common and most owners will face them soon after 100K miles. The diesel may do much better in the long run if you get it to a good mechanic. Most big expenses on the diesel have been when FCA botched repairs. Parts are slow for both but slower for the diesel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts