Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on the new Promaster? I'm a little concerned that its based off a Fiat, rather than a US chassis.

I have been driving a Ford Transit for a year now and quite like it, but my heart has always been with Dodge.

I wonder if the Promaster will be comparable to the Transit Connect or to the Mercedes Sprinter (don't want!)

·
Registered
386 Posts
The Promaster is going to be the best on fuel consumption. At the prices of gas today - I would say that is a good thing.

The Transit or Sprinter are both great cars. They are all designed for function.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the Promaster being based off a Fiat. I quite like Fiat vehicles.

Also worth mentioning the front wheel drive in the Promaster is likely more durable and cheaper to maintain than the Sprinter and Transit.

I personally prefer the interior of the promaster

Ford Transit

Gotta love that gray plastic dash!

Mercedes Benz Sprinter - can anyone say plain?

·
Registered
62 Posts
What are your thoughts on the new Promaster? I'm a little concerned that its based off a Fiat, rather than a US chassis.

I have been driving a Ford Transit for a year now and quite like it, but my heart has always been with Dodge.

I wonder if the Promaster will be comparable to the Transit Connect or to the Mercedes Sprinter (don't want!)
I first noticed these types of cargo vans when I was on a trip in Europe. these vehicles are good for transporting supplies and cargo. Its not common for box trucks in Europe as it uses a lot of fuel and is quite bulky and not easy to drive around the city with so these Cargo type vans are the best.

The Mercedes sprinter is rebadged and sold in other countries but its nothing but a dodge sprinter like in the North American market. This new Promaster is based off of the Fiat Ducato in Europe which isn't available here. the fiat is known for it's turbo diesel engine which helps with the haul providing more torque.

·
Registered
51 Posts
personally, I like Fiat Ducato but they won't be selling that in the U.S instead it will be the dodge ram promaster. I find it a little boring but in the end who cares right I will be just using it to deliver products to customers.

You forgot to throw in the Fiat Ducato's Interior in the mix. It beats them all.

Here...

·
Registered
100 Posts
personally, I like Fiat Ducato but they won't be selling that in the U.S instead it will be the dodge ram promaster. I find it a little boring but in the end who cares right I will be just using it to deliver products to customers.

You forgot to throw in the Fiat Ducato's Interior in the mix. It beats them all.

Here...

Fiat Ducato dash looks a million times better than the Ram ProMaster dash. The wood trim, steering wheel design & grip, shifter, center console and enclosed storage area's make it look much better.

I would say Ram should give people the option for a nicer dash but I doubt many Ram ProCharger owners will care.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow wood paneling trim in a van. Looks fancy. I guess it's need when you go on those on fancy dates.

Is that a six speed shifter in the Ducato? I wonder if the Promaster will have that?

·
Registered
386 Posts
The fiat does look fancy. It would have been nice if they did offer that interior but I think all that it will do is raise the price of the Promaster. Not what I want.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Fiat Ducato interior looks awesome, but who cares when it's just a commercial vehicle. I rather have the most basic looking interior on my commercial vehicles rather than something fancy the car maker spent good coin on. Better that they don't do it at all, make the vehicle cheaper and focus more on key things like; drivetrain/powertrain, cargo area, storage space, engine/tranmission & all other vital area's.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The only thing I would like in the interior is a comfortable seat and a comfortable seating position. And lots of cup holders and storage compartments.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As important as the exterior is to some the interior is really where we spend most of the time. the interior is an important factor for me It would drive me absolutely nuts to stare at a subpar interior all day. call me a freak but that is one of my pet peeves. The dodge promaster didn't fall short for design although I like the Fiat ducato interior more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The interior of the Promaster is very practical and no frills, except for the touchscreen. Is this the only trim available?

* Just looking at a comparison shot between the Ducato and Promaster :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
As important as the exterior is to some the interior is really where we spend most of the time. the interior is an important factor for me It would drive me absolutely nuts to stare at a subpar interior all day. call me a freak but that is one of my pet peeves. The dodge promaster didn't fall short for design although I like the Fiat ducato interior more.
So true, the interior is where we will be spending most of our time so it has to be good. But then again, it's no more than a work vehicle. In my personal vehicle I would like an amazing interior. Just look at other work vehicles, like the Ford Crown Victoria P71....cops don't have much to look at or day dream over in the interior of those.

·
Registered
62 Posts
As long as the interior is't absolutely hideous I think it will be okay. It does look a little off compared to the Ducato. The interior of the Ducato looks a lot better in my opinion more classier. But for a work truck the Promaster will do. I don't care too much for a touch screen though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
As long as the interior is't absolutely hideous I think it will be okay. It does look a little off compared to the Ducato. The interior of the Ducato looks a lot better in my opinion more classier. But for a work truck the Promaster will do. I don't care too much for a touch screen though.
touch screen display in a commercial cargo vehicle is overkill, i can see why a touch screen display should be in a promaster passenger model if one was available. from what it seems the Fiat ducato and Ford transit versions that have the touch screen are passenger versions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The only thing i would suggest is a GPS unit or screen for navigating a touch screen is unnecessary and people wouldn't want to pay for it. A gps would be the most useful in the promaster for the type of vehicle it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The only thing i would suggest is a GPS unit or screen for navigating a touch screen is unnecessary and people wouldn't want to pay for it. A gps would be the most useful in the promaster for the type of vehicle it is.
Don't expect it, you will be better off buying your own dash/windshield mounted GPS or if you want to go the extra mile, a double din headunit with GPS. But I highly doubt anyone that owns a ProMaster will do that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A factory GPS unit for the Promaster would be nice but It will be a bit much probably coming from factory. I would just invest in a a Garmin or Tom Tom Gps unit. Those things have so many aftermarket models you could start off at the budget sages or even more advanced ones.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The only problem with the aftermarket ones like the Garmins is that once there is a update or new map updates they cost almost just as much as the GPS unit itself. I would love a factory one if it won't cost me over $500 bucks. Plus the factory oem would have a few more features that an aftermarket wouldn't have.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The only problem with the aftermarket ones like the Garmins is that once there is a update or new map updates they cost almost just as much as the GPS unit itself. I would love a factory one if it won't cost me over $500 bucks. Plus the factory oem would have a few more features that an aftermarket wouldn't have.
On passenger cars you'll find that the OEM systems are just fine and include some functions for the vehicle called an infotainment system. doubt we'll see anything like that in this work vehicle, maybe in years from now when nearly every car has it and gets to a point they must have it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I find a Garmins are good. It's the only ones I've used. But I hear TomToms aren't too bad. If you drive for a living, having a GPS is an absolute must.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
15 Participants
lou
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing