Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd recommend handle and running boards for anyone beginning this conversion.
You'll be surprised at the thousands of times you'll be going in and out.
The pod on the back for Milo's cat litter :)
The handle will do double duty. When I spin the chair around to watch TV the handle
will sport a cup holder I found at West Marine yeah.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha that would be funny MsNomer!
KOV. An official MOPAR handle installed at highway robbery rates
at the dealer...took them two hours in which time we took off the bikes and
road a local trail.
Seriously stout. I've got two friends over 280 pounds so no worries when they
grab hold. The handle is nice to touch as well and the plate that goes on the pillar
is seriously heavy and strong.
Expensive but wish I'd done that first thing.
Well Poof just go home and she's examining the storage pod...might be good might
be bad. I'll report back.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I installed that handle. Easy to pop off cover. Template provided to locate n drill holes in plastic with step drill. Bolts into captive nuts on pillar. Very stout. Nice textured finish. Part was $186; very pricy.

·
Registered
447 Posts
MsN
Take off the lower B-pillar cover. Remove upper and lower seatbelt bolts. Peal back the gasket so you can grab the edge of the cover and Pop it off. It's only snapped in. There is a substantial reinforcement plate with the kit also. This unit has been well vetted by FCA's engineers and legal team.

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
As nice as that Mopar grab handle is my 2 for $5 one I got at the flea market does the same thing with change left over ;)

Reactions: PMF

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, we thought about going the econo route but as mentioned I've got two buddies who are heffers and it would be my luck that they'd pull the econo model
out by the roots.
This route and no worries, like Roblee points out, the reinforcing plate is robust.
Different strokes/handles for different folks eh :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes a serious honking steel plate. I didn't install, can't help there. I dropped it off at the dealer and took a bike ride. Took them 2 hours :( Paid dearly. No regrets though. Needed this from the start.
So I'm guessing it's not recommended you install this yourself is that correct? I'm concerned about the airbags in that column.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Depends on your confidence, willingness to shell out the shekels, how much free time.
Throughout our build anytime we felt inadequate/inexperienced to the point of danger we'd
farm it out. The handle was just a matter of time and the lack of it at that time.
There is probably a youtube on how to handle airbags but you're right there is one there. In fact
when they opened the box at the dealer (where I saw the serious plate) I heard one of them grimace
'there's an air bag in that pillar' yet many here have installed affordable handles there with no problem.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,856 Posts
The handle I bought had holes that lined up with hex holes already in the B column, so no reinforcement was necessary... just put rivnuts in the existing holes. I did not take plastic cover off, and got no where near any airbags, just pried the cover back a little bit to see if and where the holes were.

I bought the handle from eBay... advertised as RV handle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The handle I bought had holes that lined up with hex holes already in the B column, so no reinforcement was necessary... just put rivnuts in the existing holes. I did not take plastic cover off, and got no where near any airbags, just pried the cover back a little bit to see if and where the holes were.

I bought the handle from eBay... advertised as RV handle.
Thanks Ed. I am on it!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
447 Posts
There's really nothing in the way under the cover. The air bags are (I'm pretty sure) actually near the top where roof and wall join. Nothing but well protected and out-of-the-way wires in the pillar.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts