Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike thank you.
Believe it or not I found that thread even before asking. I should have stated as much.
I was hoping for a possible new solution.
We're dreaming of some trips on lots of gravel roads and read Gary's experience with tire failure
on the Dempster Highway and his suggestion of having two spares. I was thinking a front mounted
hitch could serve as second spare tire carrier, winch mount, etc.
I looked at the cow bar link to above (I think it's called a cow bar ??) and I guess it would do and you just
get someone to weld the hitch mount to it.

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
I doubt the bull bar will support the spare. They are decorative not structural generally. Go to a metal fabrication shop near you and have one constructed or take the bull bar and have it properly strengthened and attached to the front frame with bolts. I know nothing about any specific product for PM’s. but this one would carry bikes on a receiver says one responder but nothing heavier:
https://www.amazon.com/TAC-Custom-2...0&keywords=Ram+Promaster+front+push+bar+winch

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
MM,

I’m thinking of adding a Manchester Propane tank where the spare is now. The new home for the spare will be on the back door or on the roof. I hesitate placing anything in front of the radiator for cooling reasons, and I am not sure how strong the frame is up front—it might be designed to be self-sacrificing in a crash for all I know.

Mike

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All great points. I bet in the end the week link is the frame of the Promaster itself.
Since posting here I've written EuroCamper who said write Laverne , Laverne has not responded.
I've also talked to the guys at the welding shop where we've become known with all the diamond plate trim
work they've done for us. They said making what we need is what they do! BUT also hastened to mention the above,
that the Promaster itself may not be up to the task, that they would have to look under the front someday.
So my extra spare may or may not happen.
I will keep researching though.

·
Registered
815 Posts
We ( charger7022 , popeang ) were going round and round about rear hitches . Was thinking of taking a janky sandwich type rear hitch and morph it to the front frame rails / bumper. For myself I would like to put the bike carrier up front . looked under the bumper and there is a beam that might support an added on receiver tube if reinforced . Or replaced with a " hitch ". Last time I looked under there I thought more of a U shape bike carrier with 2 mounting points ( spread the load ). I'm very undecided , waiting for some other genius to lead the way ( MM404 ).

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I need, someone who has already invented this wheel.
I guess a bike rack up front not too different than a spare tire, two bikes can weigh
50 pounds.....significant difference under the weight of a PM spare tire + the mounting bracket.
Not that I want to do this guys, but I think she wants to do the trans Labrador highway and I'd rather not sit
beside the road for days waiting for a kind passerby.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks KNDLKSTMS
COOLING SYSTEM
Do not modify original equipment cooling system, fan, fan clutch, hoses and routing or the
shroud. Do not install secondary equipment that blocks the grill opening forward of the radiator.
Doing so could result in unsatisfactory cooling system performance. Refer to ProMaster Service
Manual for proper system fill procedures and service.

While there reading I was reminded of why I was afraid to add a roof rack-
Short wheelbase - 150 Kg
Medium wheelbase - 150 Kg
Long wheelbase - 150 Kg
 NOTE: The limit of 25 kg for each attachment on the roof must not be exceeded. The
maximum permitted weight of 150 kg is an absolute limit, even if the wheelbase is
lengthened.

·
Registered
227 Posts
These guys make and sell a real guard, not a decorative one. I would not be afraid to mount a spare to the front as it would be a foot or more away from the radiator which should provide plenty of air. I use the mopar grill cover in cool weather on my promaster and have traveled to warm (florida) areas with it still on and had no problems or indication that the temp was any higher.

https://ex-guard.com/products/cv-25pm1/

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Charity thanks. I can see all of your points.
In fact for decades many a pickup camper bore a spare tire in front.
I think you're also correct in that with a one foot gap there is plenty of room for the fan to pull in
enough air....and me thinking the aforementioned warnings always portend of legalease.
Well I did just write ex-guard.....I bet ultimately they'll defer to what the front end of the Promaster can handle.
My guess is not much. I think some of us in matters like this wish the PM to be a Defender 110 and it's not :)
I do like the loos of their guard though, goes with my new USA Trucker style build!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Charity thanks. I can see all of your points.
In fact for decades many a pickup camper bore a spare tire in front.
I think you're also correct in that with a one foot gap there is plenty of room for the fan to pull in
enough air....and me thinking the aforementioned warnings always portend of legalease.
Well I did just write ex-guard.....I bet ultimately they'll defer to what the front end of the Promaster can handle.
My guess is not much. I think some of us in matters like this wish the PM to be a Defender 110 and it's not :)
I do like the loos of their guard though, goes with my new USA Trucker style build!!

A coworker has that brand on his transit, it is very sturdy. I want one for my van.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi

I too would be very interested in a 2 inch receiver for my 2017 1500 promaster....

On my old GMC work van The previous owner had mounted a 2inch receiver on the front bumper and put a small open tool box..
both he & I bo road work for a unilty company, and the box of very frequently used tools, and cans of markout paint were "Wonderful"

Im not looking to mount bicycles, just a large plastic milk crate with the 2 inch post..I alredy have

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good news in a way and no news in an other way :)
I wrote Laverne about their grill guard....they never wrote back.
I wrote EX-Guard and they did write back. They said strength wise it would be no problem
for their grill guard, the one Charity linked to, to hold a spare tire.
I then wrote them back, me thinking their engineers had at least taken a look at the frame up front on the PM, and
asked if they thought the PM's front frame could handle the weight/moment arm of the grill guard, a tire mount, and a spare tire.
The gentleman corresponding with me said he would forward the question to the engineers.
So I await their answer.
It might be possible.
I told him I like the looks enough that regardless of the spare tire carrying ability I would add one of their guards.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Good job MM404 !!! I knew you could spearhead this endeavor ! And thanks Charity's van for the link. The way that is made a spare could offset right or left to allow air to the radiators .
Now to see how it ties to the frame ?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep still a bit of research left to go on this.
I talked with some co-workers who drive the gigantic 65K pickup trucks about air flow. Of course
no guarantees but two agree with Charity that the distance from radiator/grill to where the tire would be
should present no problem.
Like us they wonder about the frame and the torque on it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts