Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left after work yesterday. Drove 300 miles and slept at Rocheport, Missouri. Sure was nice to have that bed.

Typing this from the passenger seat while Tracy drives us through Kansas City morning rush hour.

John

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you stop at Gooseneck state park there by Mexican Hat? Pretty neat view and you can even camp there.
We did not this time. We were headed to the Mojave and wanted to make some miles. We were hoping to make it to Cedar Mesa the night before, but time for away from us.

John

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, we're home now. Actually shortened trip and got home late Thursday night. Weather has been strange and disruptive, lots of late-season snow has passes closed and high winds made the desert a non-starter if I didn't want the van sand-blasted (I didn't). Week one was beautiful, relatively cool weather for where we were, while week two was cold, windy, rainy and snowy with some cold sunshine thrown-in the mix as a tease.

The Promaster is excellent. We really, really, really loved traveling in and living out of it. Our only regret is that we hadn't been doing this all along.

John

·
Registered
511 Posts
sandblasted: I took 4 wheel drive & hike in bears ear area out of moad once.....enjoyed it muchly....anyway we travelled in ford exhibition a lot scratched up.....the guide called "western pinstripes"....

I agree with u wholeheartedly.....I wish I had bought van much earlier in life

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Those desert pinstripes separate the 4X4 adventurers from the posers. My 3rd gen. 4Runner wears them with pride.

·
Registered
511 Posts
1/2 of "roads" we were on about as wide as 3/4 of exhibition....scrub.....only way to describe the vegetation....it played **** on vehicle paint but already scratched up....we were taken to petrogyphs.....outfit named Tag-a-long need 4 wheel drive

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I remembered to zero the odometer on the way into work.

It's still amazing to us that we stumbled upon what was virtually a new van with low miles and a great price. We bought it in February and didn't really get started with the conversion until March. Then we had to deal with the weather, as we don't have an inside space for working on it. But it's ready enough for a shakedown.

Night one was Rocheport, Missouri, at the Katy Trail State Park. I remembered from my motorcycle travels that they don't lock the flush toilets at night, and that there's very little traffic. It made a good first night stop and we slept well.

Continuing west in the morning, Kansas City and its associated traffic and construction go by easily.

Open road feels good and the van feels solid.

One complaint that scared me away from even considering the Promaster for a long time was the torturous seating. I actually prefer it to the car-like seating of other vans and trucks, because it keeps me awake and is less-stressful on my back.

Blasting across Kansas and through Denver, we are in the mountains before dark.

There's still considerable snow at relatively low elevations, and of course it's cold outside.

It's exceptionally beautiful though, and it's good to be here.

This being animal country (everywhere being animal country, that is), shortly after dark we stop at the rest area in Rifle, Colorado and hit the pillows for the night.

John

·
Registered
511 Posts
One of my 1st accessories was a plastic pea bottle with top.....ms. Nomer I believe has a bucket with accessories.....i really hate to leave the van late.....even in campground.

I agree good buy on van......enjoy.

Nice pictures

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Nice pictures and trip report! You are getting me excited for my inaugural run.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Friday morning in Rifle, and it's chilly. About 5 minutes with the Buddy Heater and we're in business.

The frost on the windshield has for the most part turned to liquid, outside and in.

The rest area is geared toward the overnight parker, with plenty of parking and a really nice little lake that I'm told is stocked.

Even parked adjacent to the building, it was a quiet night and not a noisy morning.

Breakfast.

What a difference having a refrigerator makes. There's cold oat milk to drink!

A quick stop through REI in Grand Junction and before long we're past Cisco and headed south.

John

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As just about anyone who's traveled the Southwest knows if they've be paying attention, the blooms this year are significant and it's easy to forget this is a desert sometimes.

At some point we won't be so eager to get down on the ground because getting up will be a challenge, but for the moment it's all about lining-up the foreground and background.

I've probably got that section of fencing in about 300 photos over the years.

Moab has this new-to-me food truck lot, which, frankly, is kind of wonderful.

I eat it all. It's more than I ever eat for lunch, and it's yummy.

A quick stroll around town and through the used gear/clothing shop and then we're off for a hike.

John

1 - 20 of 56 Posts