Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did it at ODO:4560. Was brown, no trace of metal bits. Used pennzoil 5W-20. Filter is 15/16 with a 3/8 drive. Oil plug 1/2". Took 6qt. Used 3- 2" by 10 w/ 45' angle screwed together, then drove up these ramps to raise front 6" just enuf to scoot under. EZ

·
Registered
810 Posts
Good job and thanks for the socket sizes.. saves me from hauling out my socket set with thw broken top cover latch.
now... to find oil in a 6 qt bottle. ..dammnn.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Did mine too!!
I just set the floor jack under the front jacking point and raised it only 2 inches for
my home made container.

PIECE OF CAKE.:)

·
Registered
810 Posts
So, what prompted you to change your oil at that mileage?
Did your dash display tell you that it was time to change the oil?
My book says that it will tell me when to do the oil change.
Is that what happened in your case??
Thanks

·
Registered
887 Posts
I changed mine early too. There was a guy here that posted photos of his oil filter element taken apart. It had lots of metal grit in it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Did it at ODO:4560. Was brown, no trace of metal bits. Used pennzoil 5W-20. Filter is 15/16 with a 3/8 drive. Oil plug 1/2". Took 6qt. Used 3- 2" by 10 w/ 45' angle screwed together, then drove up these ramps to raise front 6" just enuf to scoot under. EZ
Was brown? As in dirty?

I have 4000 miles on mine and have noticed the oil is looking dirty already. A bit surprised by the color change. My last couple vehicles: Toyota RAV4 and Highlander both showed cleaner oil all the time, even after the engines had 50k+ on them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Did mine too!!
I just set the floor jack under the front jacking point and raised it only 2 inches for
my home made container.

PIECE OF CAKE.:)
For clarity- your container was a piece of cake? Is white cake the general consensus so the oil coloring is nice and visible:D

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
For clarity- your container was a piece of cake? Is white cake the general consensus so the oil coloring is nice and visible:D
Just scoop out the middle and white cake is the way to go for the visual ,It show how
dirty the oil really is.

By the way my post count is at 500 of bull$h*t HA HA!
Love my PM!!!:)
PS keep your receipts and push the gas pedal 3 times with key on (engine not running) and then turn off
to reset dash oil indicator.

·
Super Moderator
9,107 Posts
I believe the manual says first oil change should be at 3k and that's when I did mine. I forgot to cut the filter open unfortunately but I did the second at 10k and did cut the filter apart. It was quite clean and no visible metal. I've been using Penzoil 5w-20 synthetic in it. The only reason I changed it at 10k was the computer said it was time. 10k between changes is most likely fine.

I didn't even jack mine up, I just reached under with my back on the garage floor and put a 13mm box wrench on the oil plug. Very simple, even with a beer belly! The filter takes a 24mm socket (15/16" will work also).

·
Registered
887 Posts
Toyota RAV4 and Highlander both showed cleaner oil all the time, even after the engines had 50k+ on them.
You can't compare oil color to a Toyota. Even as far back as the 70s Toyota engines maintained clear oil past 30,000 miles, while everyone else's engines turned oil black. Toyota engines are a freak of nature.

So don't be disappointed if oil color doesn't match Toyota

·
Registered
604 Posts
You can't compare oil color to a Toyota. Even as far back as the 70s Toyota engines maintained clear oil past 30,000 miles, while everyone else's engines turned oil black. Toyota engines are a freak of nature.

So don't be disappointed if oil color doesn't match Toyota
Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
My last couple vehicles: Toyota RAV4 and Highlander both showed cleaner oil all the time, even after the engines had 50k+ on them.
My 4 Runner has gone 5K miles between oil changes since new. Next one is 240,000. It's so clean it takes 3K to find it on the dipstick unless the sun is shining on it! The oil is so clean when removed it has me thinking perhaps 10K would preserve the Dinos. NAH!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I believe the manual says first oil change should be at 3k and that's when I did mine. I forgot to cut the filter open unfortunately but I did the second at 10k and did cut the filter apart. It was quite clean and no visible metal. I've been using Penzoil 5w-20 synthetic in it. The only reason I changed it at 10k was the computer said it was time. 10k between changes is most likely fine.

I didn't even jack mine up, I just reached under with my back on the garage floor and put a 13mm box wrench on the oil plug. Very simple, even with a beer belly! The filter takes a 24mm socket (15/16" will work also).
Thanks. Good info.

Any idea where it says first change at 3000 miles? Must have missed that. I know it says for "severe" it may come on as early as 3500 miles...

Glad to know the beer belly isn't an issue...:D I Won't need to buy ramps!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks for the info on socket sizes etc.. Not trying to start a oil change argument but I change mine every 5K regardless of what OMS sais. It's easy/cheap insurance, and where I live with the heat/humidity it just makes sense to follow this OCI.

·
Super Moderator
9,107 Posts
Thanks. Good info.

Any idea where it says first change at 3000 miles? Must have missed that. I know it says for "severe" it may come on as early as 3500 miles...

Glad to know the beer belly isn't an issue...:D I Won't need to buy ramps!
I don't remember but I know the dealer put a sticker on my windshield that said first oil change at 3k miles so I just did it.

I assume (but I could be wrong) the computer keeps track of oil changes when the message to change it comes on and so just to be sure while its under warrentte I change it then. I think 10k miles on synthetic should be ok but oil is a cheap, disposable product and why push it.

I rember reading somewhere the computer is like a black box in aircraft and can be used against you as well as "protecting" you. I believe it's in the owners manual.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts