Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a couple of 2014 Promasters and so far they have been pretty decent (despite the monthly recall notice :). We use one as a service vehicle and its driven by a professional driver who holds a Class A licence with all endorsements. This guy is also very mechanically inclined and has a perfect driving record with our company. In addition his PM is exclusively driven by him and taken home each night.

The other day he noticed an odd brake vibration so took it into the dealer. What they found was surprising. Both rear brake rotors had warped severely, the pads were melted down and the brake assemblies had gotten so hot that even the sensors and wiring harnesses had melted. Clearly something was stuck. Our first thought was that he was driving with the e-brake on. The driver never noted a smell or tightness in the rear brakes. He would have definitely noticed the e-brake light on the dash, but nothing.

The dealer argued that he must have been driving with the e-brake on for this to happen and despite the fact that he NEVER uses it and swears he did not have it on, they would not cover it under warranty. Thus it cost us nearly $1600 is parts and labor. This van only has 23K miles on it and I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I remember somebody posting on this forum about stuck rear brakes I believe. Anyhow dealer is full of it, I sometimes don't put my e brake down all the way and as soon as I Drive off that alarm goes off like crazy no way your driver would have missed that buzzing alarm!

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
I remember somebody posting on this forum about stuck rear brakes I believe. Anyhow dealer is full of it, I sometimes don't put my e brake down all the way and as soon as I Drive off that alarm goes off like crazy no way your driver would have missed that buzzing alarm!
I remember too, but can't pin a name on it. It had to do with ice forming in the brake lines.

Also agree with the fact that the driver could not have noticed the alarm.

·
Registered
473 Posts
It was me that had the freezing brake lines. And your dealer is full of it because the rear parking brake assembly is actually a drum system inside the rear disks. A completely different braking system. It would not affect the disk portion of the disks unless the calipers were stuck.

Plus if you drive even 2 feet with the parking brake on a loud buzzer comes on to remind you...you can't possibly miss it! And as far as I know it stays on until the parking brake is released.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The parking brake pads are separate from the main brake pads in the calipers. If he left the parking brake on it would destroy those pads in no time but the main pads would not be affected unless the calipers were seized. Hopefully they didn't disable the buzzer. Nobody would drive with that racket going on!

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Time to move that repair bill up the ladder to the owner of the dealership or to Chrysler to get a better resolution. I understand you needed to get the repair done and pay the bill to get your vehicle but I would not consider this resolved. FCA needs to know this happened and document it. You need to get money back for a warranty repair that was denied.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For your information.I have a 2014 Winnebago Travato. With less than 20K miles on it. We drove it from Texas to Pheonix Arizona. Everything was fine on the trip going but on the return trip I Had a problem. I had stopped in ABQ NM and when I left the store, I began to hear a strange noise. I stopped and checked and could find nothing wrong, however in a few miles the left rear wheel began making a lot of noise and was beginning to "lock up". So I had it towed to the nearest Dodge dealer. After checking, it was determined that the parking brake on the left wheel had come apart. Parts had to be air freighted in and since it was over the weekend it took a week to fix it. The right wheel was fine but the whole left wheel assembly was replaced. Fortunately, it was covered by warranty. Drove it back home to Texas and haven't had any further trouble. The cause was listed as "mechanical failure" - real cause is unkown. By the way I don't use the parking brake when parked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
this literally just happened to me this morning, just towed my van to the dealer and they are telling me its my fault, they are waiting to here from the warranty head office but they said it probably won't be covered, i don't know what to do, i can't afford to pay 1600 to fix it and i can't afford not to work....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happened to Us Today. The e Brake Shoes Shattered, Locked right rear wheel & damaged the ABS Sensor. I assume all parts will be dealer only & Expensive.
Like the Dealer Only Front Brake Pads $360!! <That's Pads, No Labor. Front Pads are now available online for about $45 now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had the exact same problem at TurtleNick with the exception that both sides of the rear breaking system got fried. Cause according to the dealer was a stuck parking break. The most frustrating part is that this happened about two weeks ago and I already had the vehicle scheduled for some other warranty repairs since I was leaving for vacation. The first lockup happened the morning that I was heading in to drop it off. Parking break had never even been set. I was smelling breaks coming down th road and stopped to check at which time I saw smoke coming from the left rear wheel. I continued to drive and the squeaking stopped, but the ESC and ABS lights and buzzers went off. Once I was stopped again the lights stayed off and no break sounds or smells. When I dropped it off at the dealer I told them the issue and asked that they inspect the breaking system. When I returned from vacation a week later they said they could not replicate the issue and they removed tires and saw no issues. Well two days later major issues like TurtleNick. Now they are telling me 3-5 days for most of the parts and one part is on back-order with not ETA. Van is a 2015 Promaster 2500 159in. WB with a high roof. I only have had the van for 20 months and only have 17,250 miles on it.

Any updates from previous posters on their experience after the repairs or any other info would be great. I'll update again once I hear from the dealer. They are saying that everything will be covered. I still have to find out if this is still under my factory warranty or the extended warranty. I would think factory since the extended is not supposed to kick in until after the 3yr/36k mile factory expires.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have a couple of 2014 Promasters and so far they have been pretty decent (despite the monthly recall notice :). We use one as a service vehicle and its driven by a professional driver who holds a Class A licence with all endorsements. This guy is also very mechanically inclined and has a perfect driving record with our company. In addition his PM is exclusively driven by him and taken home each night.

The other day he noticed an odd brake vibration so took it into the dealer. What they found was surprising. Both rear brake rotors had warped severely, the pads were melted down and the brake assemblies had gotten so hot that even the sensors and wiring harnesses had melted. Clearly something was stuck. Our first thought was that he was driving with the e-brake on. The driver never noted a smell or tightness in the rear brakes. He would have definitely noticed the e-brake light on the dash, but nothing.

The dealer argued that he must have been driving with the e-brake on for this to happen and despite the fact that he NEVER uses it and swears he did not have it on, they would not cover it under warranty. Thus it cost us nearly $1600 is parts and labor. This van only has 23K miles on it and I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue?

Also had my emergency break lock up. Replaced e brake and rear brake pads. over 1400.00 in parts and labor. NO warranty. 26K miles on 2014 diesel promaster. I have been driving service vans for nearly 20 years and have never had as many issues as this promaster. Van is in the shop all the time for something.

·
Registered
136" 2500 HR Gasser - Build Mode Activated
114 Posts
This just happened to me last week. Reviving this old post I know. 2016 PM with 72k. Something broke, parking brake got engaged, melted all the abs sensors and destroyed the wheel speed gear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted
This just happened to me last week. Reviving this old post I know. 2016 PM with 72k. Something broke, parking brake got engaged, melted all the abs sensors and destroyed the wheel speed gear.
Has anyone been able to find reasonably priced parts to rebuild the rear parking brake? Looking online it looks like nearly $600 to rebuild one side

·
Registered
136" 2500 HR Gasser - Build Mode Activated
114 Posts
Has anyone been able to find reasonably priced parts to rebuild the rear parking brake? Looking online it looks like nearly $600 to rebuild one side
FWIW My dealer told me to just leave it all disabled, don't spend the money. That's what I'm going to do

·
Registered
Ex-Amazon 2019 PM 2500 159" high roof in KS
124 Posts
FWIW My dealer told me to just leave it all disabled, don't spend the money. That's what I'm going to do
As in disconnect the e-brake cables? I use my e-brake whenever I park. This has me worried now!

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
If you have the diesel you need an operating ebrake. I’ve never even used the ebrake on my new ’20, 15 month old gasser with 11k miles on it!

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
944 Posts
As with every vehicle I've owned, I use mine all the time too. This habit developed living in hilly areas and is hard to 'brake'.

Never had an issue and now living in the warm, sunny south I think I'll be ok...fingers crossed. My theory on this is that with continuous use - everything remains 'free and loose' so less likely to rust/freeze up.

·
Registered
Ex-Amazon 2019 PM 2500 159" high roof in KS
124 Posts
As with every vehicle I've owned, I use mine all the time too. This habit developed living in hilly areas and is hard to 'brake'.

Never had an issue and now living in the warm, sunny south I think I'll be ok...fingers crossed. My theory on this is that with continuous use - everything remains 'free and loose' so less likely to rust/freeze up.
I hope that's true.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts