Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
As you saw, it's a great refrigerator! It is available as both a right or left hand door. We have one in our 2015 Pleasure-Way Promaster Lexor TS. It was also in our 2014 Travato. It is the best refrigerator we've had in a B-size van.
Call the dealers that carry the Pleasure-Way and the Travato and see if they are willing to order one from the manufacturer for you, it's worth a try.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dometic says you can order it here in the USA

I emailed dometic USA abut the RML 8330 16 inch wide propane refrigerator and here is their reply:

Thank you for your inquiry! That model fridge is available for purchase in the USA. You would need to contact a local Dometic dealer to purchase one of these refrigerators. There is a dealer locator at
www.dometicusa.com, or if you prefer to email us your zip code we would gladly assist you in finding a dealer in your area.

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
I have had Dometic propane refrigerators and they worked well. However they are very inefficient used on 12 volt or 110 volt as they work by evaporating ammonia out of a fluid (water?) and then after cooling the ammonia letting it reabsorb into the fluid lowering the temperature in the refrigerator. The evaporation uses a flame, a 12 volt heater or a 120 volt heater. My 3.3 cu ft one drew nearly 30 amps @12 volts DC. Essentially it always had to be on propane. Today there are VERY efficient 12 volt compressor refrigerators using the Danfoss 35 compressor. Can you find one of these that would fit? I just bought a 3.0 cu. ft. Norcold NR-751 that is 18.5 inches wide and I believe they make larger ones in the same width. It runs on about a 100+ watt solar panel charging the house battery. Very efficient, no exploding gasses.

·
Registered
625 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have had Dometic propane refrigerators and they worked well. However they are very inefficient .../... My 3.3 cu ft one drew nearly 30 amps @12 volts DC. Essentially it always had to be on propane. ....
hmmm, interesting. Isn't that the same fridge that is in the Travato?

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
Sorry I really don't remember what it drew but it was fused at 30 amps. It drew a bunch. A compressor frig draws 2.3-4 amps when running. An absorption frig. has a heating element that has to run a lot and heats the fluid too hot to touch! They are typically 250 watts or so and at 12 volts that would be over 20 amps. I'll stand by that unless a smarter person chimes in. Mine would flatten my marine deep cycle battery in about three hours! If you are thinking about a 3 way to run on 12 volt BEWARE. Call Dometic!?

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
I looked up the instal manual for my old 3 way. They say 12-14 amps. Danm I hate to be wrong. That is still a bunch! They say it really can only be run on 12 volts when underway and that was what we did.

RD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts