Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm looking to do a few mockups of the 159 promaster for a build. What are the dimensions of the cargo area? The Sportsmobile Online DYO Mockup program says its 126' conversion length, which doesnt seem correct?

Does anyone have the internal cargo area dimenions for the 159? What would you recommend to do mockups? I am looking at Sketchup and the Sportsmobile DYO (not very easy to use though).

Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi All,

I'm looking to do a few mockups of the 159 promaster for a build. What are the dimensions of the cargo area? The Sportsmobile Online DYO Mockup program says its 126' conversion length, which doesnt seem correct?

Does anyone have the internal cargo area dimenions for the 159?
Take a look at the RAM Promaster Body Builders Guide:

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/bodybuildersguide/2016/rampromaster/

In the "Document Search" section there are views and charts which include almost all relevant van dimensions. Cargo Body overall length is probably the closest to what you're asking: 145.9" regular and 160" extended. That's to the rear bumper though, not from seatback to inside of closed door.

There are other useful documents there too.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
It is 146 inside of back door to the bottom front hump/step to cab area with the doors shut. This is the floor.
Add 13 to 14 inches for the extended.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,543 Posts
UC has it! When I built my floor, I used exactly 3 sheets of plywood sideways (each 4') with no cutting, so that's 12', exactly 144". When you close the doors, there is an inch or two between the back edge of the plywood and the closed door.

Where the front edge of my plywood floor meets the step up in the front, there is a gap in the center of the step up that is not included in the 12' measurement. so actually, it's a bit longer in the center of the floor than at the edges. If you design for 12', you'll have no issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking for the lengths from rear doors closed to wheel arch and to the rear of the sliding door. Thanks! I'd just go to a dealer and measure but I live in the outback of Ozzie . Going to by a 159 standard length to trip round USA for a year.

·
Registered
2018 ProMaster 3500 159" extended Fulltime 4 season van build
357 Posts
The distance from the rear hump is 24" to the door. The distance from the door to the front of the wheel hump is 38" I believe the wheel hump is 24". I'm going to be building a PM 3500 High Roof 159 ext at the end of next year myself and have begun to do my research. This site is great and everyone seem very helpful.

·
Super Moderator
10,200 Posts
Go to a dealer with your own tape measure and figure out what you have to work with. Then you can rely on yourself and know what to expect. Computer programs are fantastic but paper, pencil & a tape measure are simpler, as accurate and faster in the long run.

·
Registered
175 Posts
This was my starting point

Go to a dealer with your own tape measure and figure out what you have to work with. Then you can rely on yourself and know what to expect. Computer programs are fantastic but paper, pencil & a tape measure are simpler, as accurate and faster in the long run.
I agree with this on the basis that we don't know what you will be installing or where it will go. Consider the driver/passenger seats, for example. The cargo area floor extends from the rear doors all the way to the base of the seats, but the backrest of the seats stick out over the cargo area... you can't really use that 3D space like you would other parts of the van (the length of the floor is longer than the length of space 3' off the ground).

For my own measuring purposes (EXTENDED VERSION), I measured 150" x 72".

This is my current floorplan with dimensions (again, extended version)

For the reasons above, you should definitely measure everything yourself. I hope that all makes sense. Good luck!

·
Registered
307 Posts
This was my starting point
Justa quick note - this image ranks high in search results for dimensions, but these dimensions are not correct. The 159 non extended has useable cargo space of 144" and the 159 extended has useable cargo space of 156"

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT
2,446 Posts
Justa quick note - this image ranks high in search results for dimensions, but these dimensions are not correct. The 159 non extended has useable cargo space of 144" and the 159 extended has useable cargo space of 156"
IIRC I measured 160" from the inside of the back doors to the furthest forward point where the cargo floor steps up to the cab floor.

2018 3500 EXT

·
Registered
307 Posts
That may very well be the case. The dimensions in that drawing for the 159 and 159 extended are off by no less than 12 inches, if not more.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I can add real world data, since I just measured my ext and a regular 159 from the door metal skin inside to the hump behind the front seats ON THE FLOOR:

Ext: 160"
Regular 159: 146"

As pterodactylptro said though, you need to figure out your own measurements for your own floor plan. For me, I was using it to measure how far away the bed needs to be from the door skin, because of bike length (which will me mounted on the floor exactly).

Then I'm leaving 5" of space to the couch, because of the seat backs and room for them to swivel, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts