Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figure I should start my own build thread. Last week we picked up a 2017 gas 159” high roof with dual sliding with windows doors, rear windows, uconnect 5, dual seat swivels, HD alternator, rear 12v, and a few other options.

My plan is a fairly basic camper build primarily for mountain biking and some snowboarding. I’m a competitive downhill/enduro racer with a big season planned this next year. My wife rides as well and we have two dogs that usually join us. The van is going to make things so much easier! First trip planned is solo- 1/17 to Bootleg canyon outside of Las Vegas for the Nevada State Downhill championship. Before then my goal is to have the floor, insulation, bed platform, and bike mounts in.

First step was to put in the floor. Fairly basic- 1/2” Polyiso and 3/4” plywood sealed and primed. I retained the factory tie-down holes and used them to bolt everything to the floor.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I got a surprise yesterday from the fedex guy- thinsulate showed up. I have 36 sq ft of noico 80mil sound deadener on the walls and wheel wells. Insulation is 90% done now. I left the rear ceiling panel open for a fan install. I have access to a thermal imaging camera and the difference between insulated and not is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Nice work!! As you seem to be moving along quickly I will probably have many questions for you as I am building up a similar beast.

Reactions: Streetdoctor

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the kind comments, I'm definitely flying by the seat of my pants. Visiting a buddy Wednesday who is a custom furniture builder/fabricator. Hopefully it's a fruitful visit :)

In the mean time I mocked up a near scale drawing of what I *think* I want in sketchup. I'm a little concerned with weight distribution. I need to figure out how to move some weight to the passenger side. Ideally I'd like to put the batteries in the void space under the bench in the vertical cabinet but I think I'll have them under the passenger side of the bench to balance the water/Fridge/overhead bins. (We've also decided that we're going to give sleeping horizontally a shot with an RV King 72x75). After trim I figured we'll have 75" which is exactly what I need. I can always sleep at a slight angle as well. Opinions/Comments?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Got some more progress done on the van today while it was almost 60 degrees. Got the bed platform in. The platform measures 80x76. We used 2x10s to get the desired height I needed for bike storage (36”). Then 11g 1” tubular steel for stringers 73” long. We used 7 spaced a little over 12” apart. Had 350lb on it and it flexed only a little bit, I don’t see it being an issue. Especially after building the wheel well cabinets out for storage and a little more support. That’s next, along with trimming and reinstalling oem lower wall panels with a little more insulation, curtains to separate the cab/living area, a bench at the fore end of the bed, and I need to decide on wall paneling or plywood.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,709 Posts
Good progress. Looks like you'll be in good shape for your trip. Your shins would appreciate round overs on the ends of the platform.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good progress. Looks like you'll be in good shape for your trip. Your shins would appreciate round overs on the ends of the platform.
I was a little worried about it but it hangs over 2”, just enough to hold the 5.5” mattress in place and not be felt on the shins (I hope).

·
Registered
338 Posts
How tall are you? Any reason you went lengthwise instead of widthwise for the bed? One of the big advantages of the Promaster is that you can fit a 74" long bed if you create some "thin" walls by the bed, or a 70" bed even if you do walls. That saves a lot of space inside.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How tall are you? Any reason you went lengthwise instead of widthwise for the bed? One of the big advantages of the Promaster is that you can fit a 74" long bed if you create some "thin" walls by the bed, or a 70" bed even if you do walls. That saves a lot of space inside.
I missed this post sorry. I'm 6'1 and my wife is 5'11. I sleep on my stomach and need 76" measured from my toes to my head. The one time I wish I was shorter...

We also have a 75lb and 20lb dog so we went full king size, it will be here Wednesday.

·
Registered
41 Posts
How thick is the plywood going over the stringers?

-Todd

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Haven’t posted in a while but I’ve been busy on the van. Packing now for it’s maiden voyage to Nevada for a couple MTB races.

Since my last post I’ve built some under bed cabinets, installed the front of garage wall, built a floor extension for swivel seats, cut some window covers, and hung curtains. The mattress finally came too!

The tape on the floor corresponds with where there will be a bench and a counter/cabinets.

The bench will house a 63qt ARB fridge (that will most likely be on slide towards the front), the cabinets will store 14 gallons of water, all cooking utensils, keurig, bullet blender. The counter top is 35”H x 20”W x 36”L with a 12” fold-up extension to make it 20”x48”. With the extension down there’s still enough room to use the driver side slider. I plan on installing a fold up table as well as water access to the back of the cabinet for outdoor use. 99% of our cooking will be done outside.

The big news is I just ordered most of the electrical system.

Lifeline 255Ah 12v AGM
Ctek D250SA B2B/solar charger
AIMS 2000w pure sine inverter/charger
Blue Sea fuse block
ARB 63qt fridge/freezer
MaxxFan deluxe 7000k
LED puck lights with dimmer switch
A couple 12v/USB outlets.

I had decided on x2 180w grape solar panels but I need to do a little more research, I looked into it a little it earlier today but I’m confused on what connections/boxes/extension cables will be needed. I may just look to see if I can find a single panel in the 300w range.

I’m hoping to have the electrical done before a 10 day trip to Arizona in the end of February.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We have almost the same life! haha

I just finished my build, 159 highroof ext 3500, for me, girlfriend 3 med/large dogs. Summer downhill/xc and motorcycle racing, winter snowboarding.

I went queen bed sideways (im 5'7") dog kennel under it. kitchen/cabinets in van. shower/bath/garage in 6x12 trailer behind it. Im planning to do a walk through video as soon as the weather gets better here (NH -2f tonight)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We have almost the same life! haha

I just finished my build, 159 highroof ext 3500, for me, girlfriend 3 med/large dogs. Summer downhill/xc and motorcycle racing, winter snowboarding.

I went queen bed sideways (im 5'7") dog kennel under it. kitchen/cabinets in van. shower/bath/garage in 6x12 trailer behind it. Im planning to do a walk through video as soon as the weather gets better here (NH -2f tonight)
Ha! I used to road race motorcycles as well and will definitely be using the van for snowboarding in winter (took it up to Winter Park for the first time last thursday). Looking forward to seeing your build!

·
Banned
413 Posts
You're ripping right along man -- looks great.

FWIW, we have similar under-bed bike storage, and haven't found a need for the fork-up type things. Put some sort of soft substrate (carpet, bed rug, or similar) for the dropouts to nest into, and they stay put really well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts