Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to build camper on 136WB High Top Promaster, wondering about 1500 vs 2500.

From the spec pages, I see about $1000, 300lbs more payload, "heavy duty" brakes and suspension, and "16E" vs "16C" tires. Am I missing anything?

I'm planning a pretty light build, don't anticipate coming anywhere near the ~4000 pound payload.

I'm already concerned about the pronounced tilt, close to three inches difference from rear load level to side load level. Apparently designed to level out with a full load.

Seems like the 2500 will make the tilt harder to level out, and I don't need the extra load capacity. On the other hand, stronger brakes and higher rated tires are a good idea.

So I'm leaning toward the 1500. Hoping it will level out with my build, but if not wondering what kind of suspension changes have been developed to do so.

Your thoughts?

Thanks
Larry B
Portland, OR

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
The tilt is a nuisance for sure. I camp in my 1500 lightweight conversion and on level sites we tilt down to the front. Some posters have removed a leaf from the springs and then added airbags but expect to pay $400-$500 depending if you have a compressor for them. KOV did that. I talked to a truck spring shop about de-cambering my rear springs and he can do it but suggested I camp for the winter and make sure I want it done. I have, I do. I'll post up in early June what the difference is. The 1500 does have slightly softer springs (perhaps) but is still real stiff in the back. Don't do a 2500.
See:http://www.bossglobalinc.com/dodge-load_assist.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
Truly a noticeable difference of angle from back to front .In my situation as the van is used for work and travel I have a tare down bed that rests on 2 x 6 's ( one per side on which a 3/4" plywood platform is attached + mattress etc...).To achieve a relatively flat platform the 2 x 6's where attached level to the ground and not parallel to the sloping floor . As we travel lite we maintain a level bed . However, that said there are some camp sites that require a search for a flat rock or two !!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I built my camper conversion on a 1500 diesel platform and am very happy with the ride quality. As far as the tilt goes I carry four 2 x 6 blocks for the front wheels that levels the van out perfectly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts