Ram Promaster Forum banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
You do know the diesel is an automated manual transmission and needs time to push in the clutch, change gears and let the clutch out? The first to second shift is slow, the rest seem good. The gas vans on here are getting about 17 mpg combined city/highway and the diesels are getting about 26 combined. Most of us are very happy with that. Heavily loaded, pulling a trailer we are seeing 21+ for the diesel. You idling a lot? DON’T- the diesel warns against it and the gas drivers who have idled a lot have seen a couple engine failures. The days of idling are over.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah I get point your getting at the second shift is slow but going from 3 to first is horrible the van comes to a complete stop before getting in to gear this seams to happen a lot when costing to a stop going up hill then hitting the gas with out hitting the breaks I was getting 23 before adding the ladders on the roof now it's 19 but my emissions are still messed up the the dealer had the van for 2 weeks to replace brake cables it's horrible not having your tools and truck stock trying to run service. The did update the computer and replace some recalls since then it dose drive better then when I got the van

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
There is actually one subject this thread hasn't covered. Probably because it's obvious to seasoned vets, but not me. Do all high tops, regardless of wheelbase and model, have the same body cross-section? My dealer only has 1500s on the lot for us to look at, but we'll be ordering a 3500 for the extra length.

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
No I don't. There is essentially no difference between a 1500 and a 2500 or 3500 of the same height and length that makes any difference in the mileage. A small final drive ratio difference in the 1500 is talked about but it may or may not be real. Data differs.
The real difference for a van of equal length and height is price. Buy the smallest number you can and you will save money but probably not on fuel.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I once believed there was a ratio difference between the gas models, but the mpg feedback and the short time I looked a transaxle p/n's I concluded there was only 1 ratio for gas, and I believe it to be 3.86.

You can find 3.16 and 3.43 ratios popping up in the listings.

I looked at these brochures from Ram, 2017 list both engines, 2018 only gas.

ref.:
https://www.ramtrucks.com/gab.html

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
It’s in bed as far as I am concerned. The springs are different I feel sure. The payment for that 2500 badge is $1000 and the payment fot the 3500 is at least another $1000. As KOV says "It’s the old $1000 surcharge for nutin’ but a different stick on number. Got’ya!

·
Super Moderator
8,994 Posts
The stiffer springs actually make the ride a lot worse but if you want a 159 high top you have no choice, it’s either 2500 or 3500, neither of which are typically needed for a RV conversion.

Yes, it’s a total rip off for an extra $1000 but the 159 is so much better for a conversion that it’s well worth it (unless of course you are under 5’ Tall, weigh 100 lbs wet and have a garage with a 7’ high door or live in a development with HOA rules). ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
You do know the diesel is an automated manual transmission and needs time to push in the clutch, change gears and let the clutch out? The first to second shift is slow, the rest seem good. The gas vans on here are getting about 17 mpg combined city/highway and the diesels are getting about 26 combined. Most of us are very happy with that. Heavily loaded, pulling a trailer we are seeing 21+ for the diesel. You idling a lot? DON’T- the diesel warns against it and the gas drivers who have idled a lot have seen a couple engine failures. The days of idling are over.
Guilty.....I idle around 3 hrs a night...especially here in Texas.....and mpg are about right for loaded van( loaded to the gills....) 21 is a good avg......and the shifts are perfect for a speed demon like me...slows me down...

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
We have been through this before haven't we? Didn't we find the parts are the same numbers or fit the same vans, all have the same ratios, same brakes, etc. If anyone feels better believing they are beefier on the 3500 fine, you show us please, I'm not going through this again. Yes early on FCA did say the ratios were different but that proved to be erroneous IIRC. There were several spring part numbers but they pointed back to all three levels of van. If you need the extended you bought a 3500, good for you. If you bought a 136 you got a choice and both are the same so save the $1000 by purchasing a 1500. If you got the 159 you get to choose a 2500 or 3500, buy a 2500 and save the difference in cost. Perhaps uncubed's idea is a good one to show those springs are different. KOV and I have compared my 136 1500 and his 2500 159 and we both felt mine seems softer riding but....... it's a year newer and its shorter so the comparison is difficult?
Tires are different

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well since I came across this thread while I had the Mopar parts catalog in front of me, I grabbed a 3500 VIN and my own 2500 VIN. Both 159 High roof gassers. Though, mine is a 2016 and the one I am checking is a 2017.

So far, I have found front control arms are different- I wasn't willing to search more with the years being different.

If someone can provide a 2016 3500 HR non extended VIN, I can check easily. Or just provide 2 VINs of same body style and year but different 1500, 2500, 3500 etc... I can compare.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read the thread and still wondering. Planning a full build and I decided on 136 wheel base high roof. Question, is 1500 enough or should I go with 2500?

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
121 - 138 of 138 Posts