Ram Promaster Forum banner

101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just finished reading the whole thread and the enthusiastic responses and I've got to say this is was an amazing example of thread wander. Don't get me wrong. It was incredibly informative and filled with great amounts of knowledge but did anyone answer the O.P.s question ? I love these forums and the knowledge gained from so many people smarter than me but perhaps a little restraint from tangents could be exercised.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I just finished reading the whole thread and the enthusiastic responses and I've got to say this is was an amazing example of thread wander. Don't get me wrong. It was incredibly informative and filled with great amounts of knowledge but did anyone answer the O.P.s question ? I love these forums and the knowledge gained from so many people smarter than me but perhaps a little restraint from tangents could be exercised.
You should expect some "thread wander" when the OP's first post includes this as his question:

I test drove a 1500, but a regional dealer has a good deal on a 2500. I realize that the paper differences are basically suspension and gear ratio...anyone with experience with both? Suggestions? I would guess that the 1500 gets better fuel efficiency unloaded, but not enough folks are reporting economy numbers to be sure. Any input is appreciated.
He asks for "suggestions" and then says "Any input is appreciated".

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
I'm not reviewing the whole thread but the OP's question is easy. There is no difference between a 1500 and 2500 van of the same length and height, NONE except a chrome plated plastic 2 instead of a chrome plated plastic 1.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tires on the 1500 136 HR are 225 / 75R16C BSW All Season Tires
Payload is 3810
GVWR 8550
Standard Brakes

Tires on the 2500 136 HR are LT225 / 75R16E BSW All Season Tires
Payload is 4830
GVWR 8900
HD Brakes

These #'s are off the 2016 specs on the Ram website

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Tires on the 1500 136 HR are 225 / 75R16C BSW All Season Tires
Payload is 3810
GVWR 8550
Standard Brakes

Tires on the 2500 136 HR are LT225 / 75R16E BSW All Season Tires
Payload is 4830
GVWR 8900
HD Brakes

These #'s are off the 2016 specs on the Ram website
So there it is. The difference is in the tires and pads. No difference in the suspension. Too bad for new 1500 owners. When the Promaster was first released the 1500, 2500 and 3500 all got the same tires.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm not reviewing the whole thread but the OP's question is easy. There is no difference between a 1500 and 2500 van of the same length and height, NONE except a chrome plated plastic 2 instead of a chrome plated plastic 1.
I think there is a $1000 difference RD ;)
Yeah Yeah Yeah guys, and Lee Harvey Oswald didn't shoot JFK. The moon landing was filmed in a hollywood basement and on and on and on. But back here in reality land, They wouldn't differentiate between 1500 and 2500 when allowing or disallowing warranty replacement of brake pads if there was no difference between the two! Let the thread wonder further yet.:D

·
Registered
473 Posts
The brakes are different (smaller) and the springs are a lower rate. Bottom line: if the 1500 works for you get it! If you need to move up to the 2500 or 3500 in my case because I needed the length, then get it.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
The brakes are different (smaller) and the springs are a lower rate. Bottom line: if the 1500 works for you get it! If you need to move up to the 2500 or 3500 in my case because I needed the length, then get it.
Are you certain of this? How do you know? "The brakes are different (smaller)". What do you mean by smaller? Also, "the springs are a lower rate". How do you know this? Are they adjustable? Because the part numbers between all three models is the same.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Are you certain of this? How do you know? "The brakes are different (smaller)". What do you mean by smaller? Also, "the springs are a lower rate". How do you know this? Are they adjustable? Because the part numbers between all three models is the same.
That is what RAM said when they printed the specs...I have a 3500 extended and can't imagine them using the same spring rates for the 1500. That would ride like a go cart with no suspension. Bottom line is I don't care if they are the same or different...RAM said they are different...

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Anybody have the part number off of the leaf spring from a 1500 or 3500?
It is labeled on top. This is the number for the 2500 leaf spring.>68-188872-AB.

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
We have been through this before haven't we? Didn't we find the parts are the same numbers or fit the same vans, all have the same ratios, same brakes, etc. If anyone feels better believing they are beefier on the 3500 fine, you show us please, I'm not going through this again. Yes early on FCA did say the ratios were different but that proved to be erroneous IIRC. There were several spring part numbers but they pointed back to all three levels of van. If you need the extended you bought a 3500, good for you. If you bought a 136 you got a choice and both are the same so save the $1000 by purchasing a 1500. If you got the 159 you get to choose a 2500 or 3500, buy a 2500 and save the difference in cost. Perhaps uncubed's idea is a good one to show those springs are different. KOV and I have compared my 136 1500 and his 2500 159 and we both felt mine seems softer riding but....... it's a year newer and its shorter so the comparison is difficult?

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
2015 136" 1500 P68195839AC
Now if you like the idea all the vans are different, you have proof.
If you like the idea all the vans are the same with different springs, you have proof.
We can do the same for the rest of the parts I suppose but I think we all agree, extended-3500, 159- choice with a small GVRW difference in the 3500, and 136 choice and a small difference in the GVRW to the 2500.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Not sure how reliable this is, but I checked on Rockauto.com the difference in the part numbers for the brake pads, rotors, wheel bearings and they all use the same part numbers, from the 1500 to the 3500. The only difference I noticed was the part number for the rear shock absorber on the 3500. It's probably longer.

·
Registered
239 Posts
20 years ago I bought a Ram B3500 van and it was a lot different from the 1500 and 2500 but those two were pretty much alike. When the salesman told me that the Promaster 2500 and 3500 were the same I just figured that he was just doing the "salesman thing" like when he told me that they were manufactured in the United States.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have both the 1500 are all gas and have horrible fuel economy but they have a better shifting transmission to 2500s are all diesel and fully loaded with Ladder racks they are getting 19mpg but they shift like molasses

101 - 120 of 138 Posts