Ram Promaster Forum banner
221 - 240 of 254 Posts
I have been looking, lurking, and vicariously learning from everyones' builds. I have been drawing too. My goals are to:

1. Have a van short enough to park on a city street, but be tall enough to stand up in.
2. Have a bed for two that is (nearly) queen size.
3. Have a dinette to sit at, use as an office, and eat at.
4. Have lots of windows, light and airy feel, and be able to make private if needed.
5. Have a place to cook inside and grill and bake outside, store cold foods and drink.
6. Have no Propane to save space, and for safety.
7. Have the parts be modular to allow removal of most of the conversion.
8. Simplify by using a portapotty, and both grey and fresh water jugs, no "tanks"
9. Have the ability to camp remotely for extended time, up to a week or a bit more using an outside shower and latrine if appropriate.
10. Have a heater that is consistent with the above and is quiet.
I will post a couple of times to make my plans clear and show my current drawings. Please contribute.?
Hello
Sounds like exactly what we have.
I have been looking, lurking, and vicariously learning from everyones' builds. I have been drawing too. My goals are to:

1. Have a van short enough to park on a city street, but be tall enough to stand up in.
2. Have a bed for two that is (nearly) queen size.
3. Have a dinette to sit at, use as an office, and eat at.
4. Have lots of windows, light and airy feel, and be able to make private if needed.
5. Have a place to cook inside and grill and bake outside, store cold foods and drink.
6. Have no Propane to save space, and for safety.
7. Have the parts be modular to allow removal of most of the conversion.
8. Simplify by using a portapotty, and both grey and fresh water jugs, no "tanks"
9. Have the ability to camp remotely for extended time, up to a week or a bit more using an outside shower and latrine if appropriate.
10. Have a heater that is consistent with the above and is quiet.
I will post a couple of times to make my plans clear and show my current drawings. Please contribute.?
Hello
Sounds just like we have built. Waiting on the awning but that is it. Pop top is great and allows you to stand even when the top is down

Attachments

Discussion starter · #223 ·
Those criteria can be realized in a lot of ways. Our solution is very different than your but the goal is the same.
Great to see your solution.

Discussion starter · #225 ·
Thanks a lot.
I have been considering a redo now that this site hosts the pictures so it would be clean of most of the comments too. I may find time on some winter days when it's too cold to go out in AZ. You know- when it’s 50º or cloudy. I probably owe it to you for you being so nice.
RD

RD,

You know 75 is quite cold in Arizona. But it's a dry cold.

I would take a "redo" minus miscellaneous comments, like mine. Did I mention that cookies are involved?

I would like to pattern a 136 on the Fiat/Hymer 314. Your DIY is the closest I have seen. Therefore, I would like to emulate your work.

Grew up in Tucson. I can remember leaving bare foot prints in the asphalt. Oh, those summer days.

Did mention cookies are involved?

If you have a Mac you can easily change the type size in the address window.
An apple product? Wow. I've been accused of some pretty crappy things,...but....

Nope, just using the Android phone at the moment. Pretty sure I didn't change a setting. I just refreshed the new posts page and all the text in everyone's posts looked bigger.
Meh, maybe I am nuts.

Discussion starter · #234 ·
Go for Broke
I did them one better too by making a simple bed that collapses to a single when I camp alone or when we invite fellow campers in for coffee or drinks. We do camp with friends occasionally and in the winter it can rain or be cold. Our van is usually the only one that can seat 6!

RD - I'm torn between the "lost space" in the foot well of your desing and the similar horseshoe design (I'm also not sure if I'm fond of multiple cushions.). Compared with a fold-up with the back folding forward to become the lounge back rest. Sorta the same, but different.

Here is a video that shows both the horseshoe and the fold-up:

It's just the wife and I and we need a low bed. Low bed = smaller storage space in garage.

Discussion starter · #236 ·
Any of these ideas would work. Our bed was lowered after our first long trip so that rubbermaid bins fit under the back section. 3 plus room for sone gallon water jugs fit across. The top of the 5” matress is now 22” high. We hate set up and put away so one advantage to ours is the bed can be left made up, the dinette is always accessable and the galley and food storage does not need any thing being moved. If I were doing this over I would consider having the overhead storage extend across the bed and as far forward as the compacted couch. It would give us 14”X27”X 70” of additional storage for lighter things up high. One other thing that has worked well we never thought of is the space under the opened bed is our Jack Russell’s food, water, toys and bed space. We got the dog after two years in the van and I had planned to put a storage locker across filling part of the space and for a foot rest. Happily i didn’t get to it. We find our storage is JUST sufficient. More would get used of course.

RD - I can't wait until I have a chance to "decode" the pictures in this post. I want to see the dimensions that you went with and some of the techniques you used. With a bed lowered, I think I am okay with ceiling length storage that you described. The space will still feel open.

In addition to the space for the wife and I, we well versed with the needs of MERCEDES, an American Standard Princess (AKC-NOT).

Dog Canidae Mammal Dog breed Carnivore

Her human entourage is expected to, at all time provide, food, water, bed, toys (sticks can be locally sourced), entertainment, walkies, salmon cigars and ample rays of sunshine.

ADMINISTRATOR - Am I busted for the picture?

RNR - Yes, but it's good crap.

221 - 240 of 254 Posts