Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between the three classes of Promasters?

The power train looks exactly the same in all weight classifications.

What have they done different in the 3 weight classifications, have they made changes to the wheel specs,
brakes, tires, front and rear suspension etc.

There is a large GVWR difference between a 1500 and a 3500, they outwardly all look the same...
even the amount of wheel nuts/studs look the same?

Thanks

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
502 Posts
Brakes, Tires, rear axle gearing. Not sure if the axles and housing are different between models or just the gearing.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Very little of substance is different and even the final drive ration and GVRW are not a great issue. The real differences are in the price. The extended van must be a 3500 and 3500’s have a rear sway bar. The 159” van has to be a 2500-3500. The 136 can be a 1500 or 2500. Now here is the kicker if you buy a 1500 high top as I did you save @1000 over the 2500 136 high top and it has a very slightly lower GVWR due to slightly softer springs and perhaps softer brake pads, its final ratio shoild give a bit better mileage too. No other difference. If you do not plan to go to the very top of the weight range a 1500 rides a bit better, the brakes are less likely to squeal, and you pocket $1000. In all ways except the 300-400 lbs of weight rating it is a better van, although one could argue. My 1500 weights about 5,000 lbs empty so it can carry over two ton as it is. Think this through and if you can live with a 2500 159” non-extended you can save $3,000 over a 3500 extended! Some here just want that bigger number on the side. If you are one of those go for it!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Some here just want that bigger number on the side. If you are one of those go for it!
Yeah that was it, we just wanted the biggest number on the side. No wait, we got the side badge delete option! Argh! Now were stuck with a 3500 EXT just because it's the only size that accepts our floor plan. Still saving a ton (>50%) over buying a factory-built Winnie (etc), which wouldn't even meet our needs.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
What oil do you use?
Love the link! LOL!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm wondering what color of olive oil I should use cooking on an Espar diesel heater using recycled french fry oil, on a 3500 Extended with oversized tires on undersized wheels with the rear leaf flipped over and the front springs raised with a billet lift kit, in order to make a gluten free vegan grill cheese with extra butter because I have window screens with my Max-air fan.

>:D

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Finally this forum is beginning to make sense and provide useful information.
The answer is 7

Reactions: Rich Maund

·
Registered
11 Posts
A related question: are the tire tools the same for all three models and all wheel bases? Specifically, are the spare tire lowering tools--the wrench handle, lug bolt adapter and winch extension tool identical across those models? We need the tools to get the spare tire off, and have found some on eBay, but for the 1500-2500, and ours is the 3500, Promaster 2015. Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
They are the same. The optional aluminum wheels have a kit to store the spare but if you have steel wheels all are identical.

Reactions: archeogal
1 - 12 of 12 Posts