Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Started my van this morning to a loud squeal that went away after about 90 seconds. The truck went to operating temperature soon after but I’m not getting any heat. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Going off the information you provided, I'm assuming the A/C works so I'm guessing the blend door/or the actuator is the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I haven’t checked the A/C but I let it run for 10 minutes and the motor got really hot and the fans in the grill didn’t kick on like usual. The squeal on start up was loud and I smelled some burning after. Truck runs fine idling but I’m getting no heat.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I haven’t checked the A/C but I let it run for 10 minutes and the motor got really hot and the fans in the grill didn’t kick on like usual. The squeal on start up was loud and I smelled some burning after. Truck runs fine idling but I’m getting no heat.
When you turn the A/C on the fans should turn on automatically.
I'm assuming the belt is still on the engine.
Don't overheat the engine.
The dash temp gauge IMO is a poor indicator of an engine that's seconds away from overheating.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn’t See a thrown belt but I will check a few things when I get back to it. Thanks again for your suggestions and I will definitely enter my vin into their recall data.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Since they borked the forum layout there is no telling where OP Ruggermike65 is located - USA somewhere : )

Was there rain/ snow/ ice weather before the squeal? Ice has popped a few belts due to run-offs from windshield.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
No heat can also be caused by low coolant. When the engine has cooled carefully remove the cover of the radiator and look. It is a better indicator than the coolant revisor as that can be at full but the cap may be defective and not allowing the radiator to pull fluid from the revisor.
The overheating possibility points to belt, bad water pump, low fluid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! Very helpful information from you all!
First, I’m in Milwaukee and it was freezing rain and icy this morning. My power steering did fail so I’m assuming that the belt is broken, although I haven’t located it it yet as it’s a blizzard now. The loud squealing is still a mystery and I was hoping that it might be related to the above mentioned recall but my vin# wasn’t included. Mine is a 2014 with 76k on the clock. It will have to be towed to a dealer Monday. Thanks again for all of your help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One more thing. My fingers are crossed that I didn’t overheat it while it sat there and idled for 15 minutes moving other vehicles around in the driveway preparing for the blizzard. Happy New Year to you all!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
@Ruggermike65
Another owner here had water that was dripping from the cabin air intake gasket freeze on his belt, when he started it the belt broke. I think it happened twice on him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine did the very same thing yesterday after freezing rain. Squealed then smoked and then off. Had it towed to my local garage but was running it too for maybe 15 min. I am hoping I did not over heat it badly!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I picked up my van today from the dealer and apparently the belt tensioner failed. They replaced that, two idler wheels and the belt along with burping the coolant system, all for the modest price of 1150$. I’m surprised that it failed At 5 years with 76k miles. Thanks for your all of your feedback.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I picked up my van today and it also had the belt and tensioner replaced $593. All seems good but they did find a leak in a coolant hose and it is on back order. I'm going to order tomorrow and have it replaced asap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same thing happen last weekend after the freezing rain (Toronto area). Shredded/broken belt low down, ice on the cabin air intake gasket, 2018 High Roof. Waited 5 days for a serpentine belt...I think I'll buy a spare. 3 other vans came in same day with same problem, I guess we fought for the belt and I lost and had to wait. Thankfully I got a loaner car.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Fold a twenty and pass it to the service manager. Works wonders.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts