Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for a used 136WB Promaster for a camper build for a while. So far I've had poor luck getting sellers on craigslist to even answer an email. I was dead set on the 136 because of the more functional size for city driving since this will be a daily driver as well. But I'm beginning to look at the 159.

Has anyone here gone with the 159 and had any regrets regarding the extra length (I know, it's begging for a joke)? Driving and parking in the city a bigger hassle than you were expecting?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
Before you get lots of positive responses from the 159 crowd let me say how much we like our 136 in cities, especially older ones with tiny streets like New Orlean’s French Quarter, Key West, Boston’s center etc. The big difference I is parking. I can park in normal parallel parking spots. The remaining obstacle is width which is a bit more than almost any SUV. For a campervan it is big enough but if you want a shower, tanks under etc you better get the 159.

·
Registered
204 Posts
159 owner. Its like driving a full-size pickup with a better turning radius. I fill a normal parking space but I can get in and out a whole lot easier. Go big, you wont regret having the extra space.

·
Registered
15 Posts
159 owner. Its like driving a full-size pickup with a better turning radius. I fill a normal parking space but I can get in and out a whole lot easier. Go big, you wont regret having the extra space.
I agree, luv my 159" hi top, coming from an Ford 350 SuperDuty Econoline. Extra space comes in handy. Fuel economy is excellent.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,485 Posts
I drive and park my 159 everywhere. It's my daily driver and no problem at all. For anyone converting to a camper getting a 159 is a no brainer, other than the extra cost ($2000 list). You do need to get a 2500 to get the 159 which is nothing more than a rip off, imho, but it's well worth it. I have never, ever regretted it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a 159 DIY camper and I often drive in cities without a problem. It is about the same size as a crew cab full size pick up truck but it handles better and turns tighter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have all the motor home amenities compressed into a 136WB high top, and love the agility and smaller footprint. But everything interior is downsized to fit, and we are two relatively small people. If you want a full double to queen size bed, more generous bath, tanks and storage space etc. you will likely need the 159WB.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Go to dealers and look at and drive new ones. Test drive a conversion at a RV dealer to get an idea what a 159Ext is like. Plenty of floor plans here to compare before u decide. I love the extra space in my 159 built for one but I seldom drive in big cities with tiny streets.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I got the extended 159 as I'll be making a camper van out of it. I definitely wanted the 159 for the extra space and went all the way with the extended as the extra 2ft of rear overhang don't really make much of a difference once you've gone long wheelbase. Figured that interior space will be nice.

It's pretty big, but as others said it's not that bad. It's shorter than my friend's construction GMC 3500 quad cab. It's about 2 feet shorter than the 170 wb Sprinters and a lot of people are using those as camper vans. I was surprised with the turning radius. I can navigate tight parking lots and get into pretty much any parking spot. With the backup camera I can parallel park on streets. If I'm going to be somewhere super tight I wouldn't want ANY van, so I'll park it a touch further away and either grab an Uber in or use the bikes.

My last thought was resale. Most people that want the camper van will want the extra interior size I think.

·
Registered
265 Posts
We think the 159 is the perfect size. Driving through city streets, even the narrow streets of downtown Bar Harbor, ME is no problem. After awhile you don't even notice you're driving a van.

Parking is no trouble either. It's about as long as a pickup truck.

And there's enough room for a queen bed, kitchen with sink, cooktop and refrigerator, a 27 x 42 toilet / shower compartment, room to swivel both driver and passenger seats and nearly 70 cu ft of storage.

Judging by how we fit in a parking space, I think a 159 ext would hang over nearly a foot and a half.

·
Super Moderator
10,485 Posts
We think the 159 is the perfect size. Driving through city streets, even the narrow streets of downtown Bar Harbor, ME is no problem. After awhile you don't even notice you're driving a van.

Parking is no trouble either. It's about as long as a pickup truck.

And there's enough room for a queen bed, kitchen with sink, cooktop and refrigerator, a 27 x 42 toilet / shower compartment, room to swivel both driver and passenger seats and nearly 70 cu ft of storage.

Judging by how we fit in a parking space, I think a 159 ext would hang over nearly a foot and a half.
I agree 100%!

While both RD and MsNomer have done an outstanding job fitting everything needed into their 136 conversions, I like to be able to have as much room as possible. If i were to order a new one I would seriously consider the 159 ext version.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,679 Posts
159 looks like a van. Nothing wrong with that. My136 reminds me of a wooden toy. I like that.

If I had a 159, I'd have a shower. But then I'd have plumbing, which I'm glad not to have. Everything is a trade-off. I would make the same choice again.

·
Registered
265 Posts
But then I'd have plumbing, which I'm glad not to have.
The hard part of a conversion is the woodworking. It's all free form, judgement, tricky measurements, eye hand coordination, material choices and finishing. All skills that take time to perfect.

And something you are obviously quite proficient at.

Plumbing is just a matter of assembling standard premade parts. Not nearly as difficult.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't need no stinking shower

My 159" parks just fine. It is 4" shorter than the 20' that is not allowed to park in some towns and a lot of parking lots like the ones at beaches.
So I say, 159" yes, 159" extended no.

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
Actually a 24X27 shower could be fit in our 136 where our porta-potte is now but in using our truck camper for 7 years of travel we used the shower once- remote camping and hiking. It just isn't worth interior space lost so I like grnd0’s solution. MsNomer calls our conversions “campervans” which for me means minimal plumbing, informal galley, comfy bed, and enough lighting and amenities to be comfortable for weeks of travel but probably not for full timing. In the East we seem to be forced into state campground a lot and these often have showers. In the West we do Coyote camp on public lands with no services and so far have been fine. For Senior pass holders federal campgrounds are so inexpensive it pays to take advantage of their hot showers so I’m with Skaggydog on this one.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,074 Posts
I'd second the approach that MS and RD talk about -- simple is good.

Our PM 136 is our 4th RV, and over the years they have gotten smaller and simpler with less junk. Good beds, a wide open floor plan with lots of light, full standing height, a simple place to cook, and a composting toilet is what we have come down to, and it seems ideal to us: http://www.buildagreenrv.com/our-conversion/

To us the maneuverability, parking ease and economy of the 136 outweigh the extra room of the 159 -- but, its something you have to decide on based on your style.

A lot of showers in RVs end up being turned into storage closets because they don't get used as showers.

Gary

·
Registered
24 Posts
We went 159 Ext.

It's all a trade off and we too had much soul searching in deciding what length. We landed on the 159 Ext. It is is not hard to find a spot to hang over the back of a parking space, but we've not parallel parked in Boston that's for sure. I am tall enough to require length wise bed, if we could have slept sideways I think the 159 regular would have met our needs. The 23 and 24 foot Sprinters were over the line too long, and did not have the incredible turning radius and maneuverability of the Promaster.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts