Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are already tons of threads on this, but I cannot decide 136 vs 159. I'd really like to go with the 136, just seems like it's easier to get around and fit into tight spots, but dont want to regret not having the extra space. It's just for one person, but I also want all the ammenities...I am trying to convince myself I don't need the 159!

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
If you want all the amenities and you have toys get the 159. You know want it just go and get it :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have a 136 that's been converted. I have pretty much all the amenities - wet bath with marine toilet, 11ft^3 fridge, 1.1 ft^3 microwave/convection/broiler, fold-out twin bed, decent sized sink, folding leaf for extra prep area. But, my sink overlaps the side door by about half, I have no range top (I make do with an electric burner and a Griddler), and I have to be very judicious in my use of storage. For one person you certainly can fit all you need into 136, and mine maneuvers better than many cars, and will park in just about any space a full size sedan can park in.
The one thing to keep in mind is that you cannot get the medium or high roof on the 136. I didn't want that - I wanted a rig that fit in the garage - but your needs may be different.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Hi,
Well, I guess if you want "all" the amenities, you get a 40 ft class A :)

We have a 136 for two of us, and it seems like just the right compromise.

You could layout a 136 and 159 on the living room floor with painters tape, and then populate it with cardboard beds, galley, ... It would give you a pretty real world idea which meets your needs better?
Mockups are great.

Gary

·
Super Moderator
8,026 Posts
Lots of vanners (everywhere) seem to have a caveman mentality for some reason. No windows, small space, etc - goes back to those caveman genes, I guess. I prefer bright & roomy, personally, and diesel free, of course.😉

·
Registered
33 Posts
I drive a 159 extended for my business and I don’t have any issues with the length, granted I can’t park in every parking spot like a Honda Civic would be able to but you get used to it. I would definitely get a larger one

Driving a Bigger vehicles will have a learning curve If you are used to a smaller car but the more you drive it the less it bothers you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
The 159 is not that much bigger than the 136.
After a few minutes on my fancy calculator,.... I came up with a 23" difference (you might wanna fact check that).
I hear a lot of people say they want the 136 so they can maneuver more easily and get into tight spots.
The 136 is just as wide and just as tall and only 23" shorter.
I have no problem maneuvering and parking my 159 in any situation or parking lot and have never heard anyone say it was difficult and wished they went shorter.
The 159 is 20' long bumper to bumper. That's pretty much the standard parking spot length.
Unless you live in a place like Tokyo or NYC, I don't think giving up 23" for the sake of maneuvering should be a consideration for a full size, high roof cargo van.
They have smaller vehicles like the PM city if that's a concern.
I'd look at all the 136 and 159 builds on here and make your decision based on how you want your build and how much room you'd like on the inside.
If you convince yourself the 159 is harder to drive/park, it will be.
I believe it was Henry Ford who said,
"if you think you can, or think you can't,....you're right".

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have had no problem parking my 159 extended anywhere I wanted to park (other than garages with less then 8'6" clearance). My prior class B was the same length (but narrower and taller) and did not have any parking issues either. There has been a parallel space in a few downtown areas I passed on because I didn't fit, but nothing else that was much a problem because of length.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the info!

You could layout a 136 and 159 on the living room floor with painters tape, and then populate it with cardboard beds, galley, ... It would give you a pretty real world idea which meets your needs better?
Mockups are great.
Yes, I definitely need to do that. And I need to go get inside each to get a better feel for it, although that's a bit harder these days...

Is this your full-time residence or a weekender?
It would be for full-time.

That said, you’ve been a member of this forum for 5 years and still can’t decide? Time to pull the trigger amigo. Flip a coin. :)
Haha... I know that's hilarious!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Huh? Since when is there no HR 136”?
You are right - I got my memory crossed up, there was no low roof in the 159, which is what I would have liked at the time I made the purchase. I needed the low roof to be able to get in the garage, and I would have liked the extra length. I shouldn't post before coffee.
But, the shorter length has had its advantages - it's a bit tight in my garage lengthwise; had I been able to get the longer van in low roof I still would have had serious problems getting it in the garage.

·
Super Moderator
8,026 Posts
You could buy a pair of pants or shoes a size too small that you could squeeze into and fool yourself that you were thin but why would you want to? I suppose if you had a small closet you might want to buy smaller clothing, but...🤭😏 same thing for a van you plan on spending more than an hour in (IMHO, of course).

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Not to be snarky or argumentative, but I don't think there's a large number of people who have owned both. So, I think the OP might wait another 5 yrs for a response. I also don't think you need to have owned both to have a credible opinion on such a simple subject. I think anyone who's been driving for over 30 yrs, owned 8 vans, driven everything from forklifts to bulldozers and motorcycles to tractor trailers and owned everything from Japanese sub compacts to 23' crew cab, 8' bed pickups,..... could probably weigh in on how much difference 23" of length would make in driving 2 otherwise identical vehicles.
There is an abundance of wealth in knowledge on this forum and I'd say 0.001% of it is promaster specific.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I think the most credible response would come from someone who has owned both.
I haven’t owned or driven both, but I’ve got the next best thing: a 2006 single cab Tundra (pre-behemoth).

The Tundra is 5” longer than the 136” PM, thus 18” shorter than the 159”. It’s turning radius is the same as the 159” PM. We camped in the Tundra for 10 years. It was forever getting into 3-point turn situations that were a PITA. It is not nimble. The single moment in our entire marriage that I was angriest at MrNomer was when he got the relatively new Tundra jammed between trees trying to turn it around on a narrow road. Trying to maneuver something 18” longer with the same turning radius would not be fun.

OTOH, the 136” is nimble, It’s turning radius approaches that of our Corolla.

So if all you’re gonna do is sail the highways and parking lots and RV campgrounds, 159” should be fine. Just don’t get into tight spots.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts