Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wife and I have been discussing/planning this for awhile, finally snagged a used 2018 Promaster 136" WB high roof and started the build. The weather has been less than cooperative lately. Will be working on it mostly on weekends, so it's going to take awhile.

Right before driving it off the dealer lot.

Current plan for the interior, but is subject to change

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Started installing the windows now that it's warm enough. Having a small space heater in the van is very helpful, both for personal comfort and for glue curing. The side windows are from vanwindowsdirect.com, their "half-slider van bunk window combo". They seem nice, but do not come with any instructions or screws for the frames.

Template in place

Center cut shear is really nice for the straight parts of the cut, used a jigsaw for the rest

Needs a window

Gluing the frame to the wall

Finished window

Both side windows done

Now she has some windows

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not much progress this weekend, had a lot of other stuff going on and I wanted to get some skiing in. Got one of the rear windows put in. They are salvage yard finds, so they took a lot of cleaning, however they look unique. They have plastic frames and real glass, we'll see how the glass holds up, but worst case is we replace the panes with acrylic down the road. Snow and freezing rain are forecast tonight, so it'll be the first leak test of all of the windows.

Frame clamped in place

We'll decide later if we want tinting for the rear windows, they're clear right now

Not typical a van rear window

We really need to clean up the garage...

·
Registered
3,571 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that window from a residential front door?
Not sure, we found two of those at an RV salvage yard. We assumed they were from an older RV or a mobile home, since they are just plastic frames, however the plastic was still flexible and not sun-damaged, so they can't be that old.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the rest of the windows in last weekend. In hindsight, I would have just gone with new windows all around, the salvage yard ones required a lot of clean up time. We're still undecided what we'll do with the sliding door, we're going to leave the upper part of it uninsulated/unfinished until we're closer to done and then figure out whether we want another window.

Both rear windows installed.

We like the unique look of the back

The big window needed a more complex-shaped frame and more clamps

Finished windows inside

Finished outside (it's a lot harder to get stuff done now that sunset is before 5pm)

Now we can move on to insulation!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haven't posted in awhile, lots of other stuff going on so we haven't progressed as much as we had hoped by now.

Solar panels installed, we opted for two 170w units. They're installed closer to the fan than we planned, but the positioning was dictated by being able to access the mount holes and sliding door hardware.

Just a test hookup to make sure the panels/batteries/controller worked

They're pretty big panels...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Started on insulation finally!

Used 2" polyiso with Great Stuff filling in the gaps, we still need to clean it up once it dries

·
Premium Member
8,724 Posts
Pretty! That is a lot of insulation! You are going to have both a quiet and very easy to heat van.
However all that sound deadener under the polyiso was a waste of money. The stuff on the wheel wells and any un-insulatable space is going to pay off great.

Reactions: Deryn

·
Registered
2019 Promaster Silver 1500 low roof
240 Posts
Hi, Supermoocow ... Questions about the arrangement of panels/fan on your roof ... a) What are the size of your panels? b) Do you think if they were placed sideways, it would leave enough room for a 2nd fan at the back? Or maybe there is already enough room .. looked tight to me but maybe the picture is deceiving?

If these darned recalls are ever resolved and I can actually buy my 136 (low roof) my plan is to try to fit 2 fans, one fore, one aft on the roof .. and maybe some panels as well (but I'd give up the panels for the fans if I had to or limit it to one panel).

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,724 Posts
Two 100 watt panels and two fans would work. Suggestion: one fan and opening windows does move a lot of air. Perhaps instal one and see how you like it. We have awning windows at the back and side and one fan up front. It works great and we found we didn’t like the fan right above us in our last camper.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The panels are about 26" x 58" and would fit in the other direction, but may need a different mounting setup. Using simple L mounts with the pre-drilled holes in the panels did not result in good placement on the roof. (we wanted the mounts on the tops of the roof ridges to not worry about water pooling)

I agree with RDinNHandAZ, with the rear windows open and the front fan on about 4/10, you can feel the air flowing through the windows. We were also worried about the fan noise if it was over the bed. I think two fans in a 136" van would be overkill, unless you don't plan on having any openable windows.

·
Registered
2019 Promaster Silver 1500 low roof
240 Posts
Thank you both. Good to know I probably could fit 2 fans in plus a panel or two if I need to.

My bed will probably be along the driver's side but I am not yet sure if it will be further to the back or further to the front. It probably won't be directly under the fan in any event. If I have an opening window, it is likely to be an awning style double pane acrylic but I am not sure of placement yet. Would like two but with the slider and the projection of that kind of window, I am not sure I can put them opposite each other in that short a van. I really would rather have double doors instead of a slider but that is not an option unfortunately.

I used to own a Class B PW and the arrangement you both have worked fine in that RV - fan at the front and windows on either side of the back lounge/bed area. But I also had a/c so if it was too hot I just turned that on and never really thought about what was 'sufficient' or the best design for comfort and aeration, etc. if one didn't have that a/c.

I'd rather consider all this very carefully before I cut holes in an expensive vehicle than be sorry later so your info and sage advice is much appreciated. I have seen all sorts of placements of fans/windows in videos but people rarely discuss the actual airflow they get and how it works under all conditions etc., especially in really hot, humid, places, and what would also work best in cold conditions, and/or if cooking and/or showering indoors. I have also wondered if I could just use one full size fan and a secondary small round one mostly for exhaust purposes.

Panels are another story - if I have any I am hoping to figure out a way to be able to easily set them at an angle when I want to - and that might be more easily done from the side - without crawling on the roof constantly (I'm too old for that now) .. but we will have to see about that dream.

Thanks again for the input. Back to my drawing board.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Done with foam insulation finally! Used 2" in the walls, 1" in the rear side panels to have some extra room for the bed, and 1" in the ceiling for height. 3M 90 adhesive to bond the panels to the walls, then great stuff to fill in gaps around them. In hindsight, if we ever had to do it again we would just use thinsulate since all of the cutting of polyiso and spraying foam was a huge timesink. Next up is the floor.

It was interesting experiencing the effectiveness of the insulation while installing it, we have been using a 1.5kw electric heater in the van so we can work. Early on, it would essentially run 100% of the time, but now it only has to cycle less than 25% once the space is up to temp.

We may put some thinsulate in the lower door panels, if there is any left after filling the roof corners

Ceiling uses 1" polyiso and great stuff. There is 1/2" of thinsulate above the headliner, we didn't take any pictures of that.

Kitchen area wall is 2" polyiso and great stuff

Bed area walls are 2" polyiso and great stuff, except the window panel areas are only 1" polyiso for bed length

·
Registered
3,571 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@supermoocow
Did you use spray foam on the back of the polyiso or just around the edges?
Just around the edges, except for some pieces that went into a cavity and I couldn't reach well, then I shot foam in and shoved the polyiso in. The polyiso is held to the walls with 3M 90.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts