Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the planning stages of a 136 build. I like the idea of the 136 for the smaller footprint for driving and parking, but I'm finding it to be challenging to fit everything we'd like. I originally drew up the following plans:

And my crappy start to sketch up:

The plan is to have two benches facing each other with a pull out table in between for eating and playing games. It will also be used for a food prep area as the kitchen is so small. Under the pullout table will be drawers for storage. The one bench will have a cassette toilet and the other side will either have storage or house the batteries. There will probably have to be a few changes since that bed platform is only a full size bed in the drawing and I don't think I'll be able to put the bikes underneath. I'm also thinking of installing the inverter/charger, MPPT and other electronics in the back above the drivers side wheel well as to not waste the storage space under the bench. I'm think also thinking of having a larger 12gallon tank above the passenger wheel well as the galley is going to be very small as is even before the lost 6 inches, so I don't think I could fit a grey and fresh under the sink. The plan is also to have uppers along the entire drivers side wall.

I originally wanted a dinette for a permanent seating area, but the wife veto'd that idea in favor of benches with a pull out table. This idea also makes have a cassette toilet rather than a porta-potti a lot easier to implement.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Reactions: PMF

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Love the 136 wb model, so maneuverable.
Great to see you're using Sketchup, what an awesome program.
We're just a couple steps ahead of you, also using a platform bed over a shelf
and over Slide-masters. Depending on how much head room you'll want when
sitting on the bed will translate to your bike storage and removing or not the front
wheel. We decided to go with the Fiamma Carry Bike for ours on the back door.
Toilet? I'm lucky in that the she boss can use a rudimentary toilet, something like this
but not even this advanced-
https://www.amazon.com/Leopard-Outd...qid=1489678991&sr=1-3&keywords=camping+toilet
It goes on the Slidemaster, so slides out when we need it.
Here's where we are in the bed process-
http://www.stopitdown.com/2017/03/16/promaster-campervan-conversion-bed-and-shelf/
And like you, we are finally seeing all the Sketchup become reality-
http://www.stopitdown.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/PM-fp-2.jpg

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,682 Posts
Matt, I wish I could show you mine. If you could see it, you would know that yours will work. See my build for details, especially the tables.

·
Super Moderator
10,500 Posts
136 owners will swear they have the absolutely best length while 159 owners will swear the same thing! I never even considered a 136 for my conversion because I wanted a lot of room. The 159 is no harder to drive or park than the 136. You do have to pay $2000 extra for the 159 because you can't get them in a 1500 (the only negative IMHO) only 2500 & 3500. The extra weight capacity isn't worth worrying about (for most conversions).

If you have any doubt about size get the 159 you will NEVER regret it ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
By the way, our layout is very similar to yours except that we extended the bed to cover what would be your benches. This gives us a king bed. I have he electrical system, including the batteries under the bed forward of the wheel wells and have a refrigerator and toilet storage (C-Head Composting Toilet) under the front of the bed. We just slide the toilet out when we need it or at night and everything works great.

SN

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Having the table and a seat all the time has been a real plus. Having to reconfigure to go back and make a lunch or wait out a storm would be a pain. We can leave the bed open or close it into a couch and on those days when it isn’t fit to go out we have plenty of room, as much as any 159 we have seen. If you can be outside all the time who cares. Even moving back and forth to have warmth and sun all year leaves us in the van sometimes. Our pain is having to swivel the driver’s seat for two person table seating and the Sportscraft seat swivel is a bit of a struggle. I guess I will investigate another swivel that lets you sit and turn, hopefully without all the shenanigans needed to do this one.

I see the value of a cassette toilet if you can remove the cassette at the door but not if it has to be wheeled or carried out. We opted for a porta-pottee as it can be lifted and carried out, set down, separated and then dumped in a toilet or RV dump. I could have done the cassette at the drivers side and cut an access hole to remove the cassette through it. Thinking of another large hole in the side felt like a lot for what you gain.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having the table and a seat all the time has been a real plus. Having to reconfigure to go back and make a lunch or wait out a storm would be a pain. We can leave the bed open or close it into a couch and on those days when it isn’t fit to go out we have plenty of room, as much as any 159 we have seen. If you can be outside all the time who cares. Even moving back and forth to have warmth and sun all year leaves us in the van sometimes. Our pain is having to swivel the driver’s seat for two person table seating and the Sportscraft seat swivel is a bit of a struggle. I guess I will investigate another swivel that lets you sit and turn, hopefully without all the shenanigans needed to do this one.

I see the value of a cassette toilet if you can remove the cassette at the door but not if it has to be wheeled or carried out. We opted for a porta-pottee as it can be lifted and carried out, set down, separated and then dumped in a toilet or RV dump. I could have done the cassette at the drivers side and cut an access hole to remove the cassette through it. Thinking of another large hole in the side felt like a lot for what you gain.
I agree, I really wanted a dinette with fixed seating, but I had to compromise with my wife. The fixed benches with the pull out table shouldn't be too bad as it'll just pull out and you're ready to go as I think I'll put it on drawer glides like @MsNomer did.

The cassette toilet was chosen for two reasons: 1. It's sizes made it a good choice to build a bench around it then do a lift system similar to how you did yours. 2. We live in a building on the 4th floor down two long hallways. After a trip, it would be easy to wheel the cassette down the hallway to dump. Also with the placement of the cassette, it can slide out without having to cut any holes in the van. We want to keep the van as stock as possible on the outside (minus windows) as we can.

Reactions: RDinNHandAZ

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,682 Posts
Matt, I've thought a lot about your plan these last couple of days as I lived in mine.

Your toilet bench should not be obtrusive in any way. I think you will love it. I was headed that way before I ended up with the tunnel.

Your seat on the other side cuts into counter space, but that can be remedied by a hinged pull-up extension on the end of the counter. If one person is using the counter, the other can sit on the toilet bench.

Your drawing of the drawer/table shows the drawer box between the benches. Remember that a table to eat at needs to overhang the benches and I wonder if you have enough leg room. Put a measure to your table at home.

I have no experience with bicycles or the space they require under the bed, but I suspect you could find room for an inch-deep wide drawer for a larger table to rest on, and you'll be amazed at how much will store in that drawer. Then narrower drawers on down. The table-on-a-drawer scheme works extremely well. You will be set up in a matter of a few seconds with as much or as little table as you want for the particular circumstance. Unanticipated benefit: side table when lounging in bed.

I suggest delaying the build of the drawers/table until everything else, especially bike storage, is in place and you've used it a bit. You may be capable of more than you think.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'd go with the 159 if you're waffling. I've got the 159 extended, and I think I could have gone with the non extended and been just fine, but I don't regret having the extra room. Kinda nice having almost 6 feet of counter top space in a van (44" of fixed, with a 24" extension on the end), having a 50" bench seat along with a full wardrobe, AND having the space for 4 bikes + all your gear and a regular sized queen bed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am in the process of building a very similar layout in a 136 to Steeler. I'd check out a 159 before settling. It's still shorter than a full size pickup, so might not be bad to drive. The 136 is a piece of cake to maneuver though.

Pictures please Steeler!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,682 Posts
Turning radius was a big issue for us. The 159" turning radius is the same as our regular cab, long bed Tundra, which is only 5" longer than our 136". That says the PM turns much tighter than the Tundra, but it was not unusual for the Tundra to put us in awkward spots. Turning radius of the 136" approaches that of our Corolla.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey Matt, your layout looks a lot like my plans for my 159" with the elevated bed, bike/gear storage under, composting toilet under a bench.

I'm planning on making a shower pan that the toilet sits in that drains to a very shallow gray water tank that fits within the supports nderneath and using a curtain to close it off when the shower is in use. I'll have a cover over the toilet when I'm showering then dry everything off before putting the bench back in place.

The bikes won't fit unless both wheels are off so I was thinking of finding or making a mount for the rear axle like what is used for the front axle, and may need to remove the seat also. I am planning on having them mounted in full extension slide out trays.

If you google "sprinter bike storage" and go to images you'll see kind of what I'm talking about.

I'm planning on mounting my fuse block, charge controller, etc on the driver side cargo area wall also. I'm going to have a panel recessed that most things mounts onto then an outer panel on the same plane as the plastic panels that comes mounted in the cargo area. The outer panel will have cutouts that gives easy access to the components but hides most of the wiring underneath. For complete access I'll unscrew the outer panel and everything is exposed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Steeler I'd love to see pics of the Lagun table in the PM.
I am in the process of building a very similar layout in a 136 to Steeler. I'd check out a 159 before settling. It's still shorter than a full size pickup, so might not be bad to drive. The 136 is a piece of cake to maneuver though.

Pictures please Steeler!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I will try to finally put up a build thread with pictures this weekend. So much to do, so little time :)

SN

1 - 17 of 17 Posts