Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just kinda floating the idea of trading in my low/136 and getting either a high/136 or a high/159. My question is for those of us that have either/or what is your advantages/disadvantages/decision process for choosing one or the other? Keep in mind, I am not converting it to a full on camper conversion only use will be for primitive camping/work/daily.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the 159" high roof. I wanted one that was long but still fit in a normal parking space, and one I could stand up in. I am 6' tall. Since I was buying a van for how much space it had, I wanted as much as I could get and still meet the requirements I had for it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a high/136 for hobbies and travel. Surf, kayak, bike, toilet, maybe an overnight if no other option
I want it to park in small spaces
I have often parked and eyeballed my spot and concluded that a 159 would have stuck out a bit
I also want my timid wife to be able to park it, in that case, smaller is better
I did get the uconnect package with rear cam and love it! Hands free phone and cam helps moma park.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,980 Posts
If you're not toy hauling, 136 is plenty big for a simple camper. While I don't doubt the 159's nimbleness, it's a given the 136 will fit into tighter spots, which could be important in the boonies as well as in town.

Have you considered a pop top on your LR?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not sure what your "work" involves. But I set out planning to get a 136' 1500 or possibly a 2500. After measuring up the two, I found that it was going to be a lot easier to build a rack for hauling 10' lengths of material on top of the shelving in the 159". 10' lengths in a 136" would have protruded into the area above the driver's compartment. That was the deciding factor for me. I've had it for a year now and never wished it was smaller. I'm used to driving my Sprinter at work though. Its a couple feet longer and about 6" taller than the PM.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just bought the 136" and will use it for light construction. I got it because I want something that can get into tight places. I live in an area with tight twisty hilly roads and want to be able to maneuver in the driveways and sites I frequent. I'm going to build my own custom partition with a trap door so I can run some 12' lengths into the cab area if needed, otherwise it'll go on a rack. The floor as it is will handle 10's...barely, and easily the 8' plywoods and sheetrock.

·
Registered
427 Posts
136 low roof for my toy hauler / simple camper. Has to fit under a balcony at my house. The 136 will kinda-sorta fit in a normal parking spot while sticking out past the end only by a little bit, and can kinda-sorta be maneuvered into most parking spots (turning circle is the limiting factor). A 159 would be a lot more awkward in those situations.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
The 136 is just a bit shorter than an extra cab short bed pickup. Since we had one of those and used it everywhere including inner city visits we opted for the tall/short 1500 which is a value leader price-wise. I have yet to parallel park it like we did the truck, it is wider.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am going to get a 159...maybe even a Window van.
What I want fits in a 136 but.....the 159 gives me some STORAGE for long trips. Also, when you figure how much you are going to put in it...you might as well only do it once.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
my wife and i ended up with a 159 RB for our V2 camper van build. If it had just been me? I would have been happy with the 136, plenty of room for "primitive camping" IMO.

The 159 RB, with its 12 feet on the floor behind cab is ~2' more than our V1 camper van. (image link to interior from swiveled passenger seat looking aft). In V1 we have a full time bed and pull out head/shower (in the closet in right of image above, wife's design). The kitchen is outside in an Aluminess box, made into our "Chuck Box" (image link) that swings under the awning (only mention as that's pretty "primitive" !). The reason we went with the 159 is that we want everything inside the van this time around. With the Aluminess bumpers/boxes our V1 Chevy is actually ~20'6"~ nearly a foot longer than a 159. Let me tell you there is nothing to keep you more on your toes when parking than having ~$7K~ worth of custom aluminum sticking beyond a typical parking space!

Have fun with the future project.
Thom

·
Super Moderator
10,877 Posts
Don't want your time or money on a 136 - the 159 high is the only way to go - don't fool yourself :)

Someday my "136 friends" will come around and see the light ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine is toy hauler. Got my dirtbike, scuba, paramotor... The more toys the bigger the garage.

I'd love to have a 4 person side by side in there with room for everything else but it's not going to happen. Not even sure if I could fit a 2 person. That's why my bed is hammock - it's about the only available space left.

It's a great problem to have. Too bad the 159 ext is the biggest promaster there is. That thing drives great too.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,748 Posts
Don't want your time or money on a 136 - the 159 high is the only way to go - don't fool yourself :)

Someday my "136 friends" will come around and see the light ;)
I'm with that KOV guy!

"159 is really fine, 136? a van without a suffix!" :D

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts