Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed that option was on my window sticker. I've never seen any 12V plugs beyond the one in my dash.

Did they forget mine? I assume it goes in the rear pillar black plastic panel behind tail light. Is that correct?

Anyone actually have this option?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Are you sure?

Just noticed that option was on my window sticker. I've never seen any 12V plugs beyond the one in my dash.

Did they forget mine? I assume it goes in the rear pillar black plastic panel behind tail light. Is that correct?

Anyone actually have this option?
Dwight,

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

If you can't find one, they forgot it!
It does go in the rear pillar in the black plastic panel on the passenger side, about 30" above the floor (guestimate).. it's one of those round cigar lighter things with a cover.
I have it... wish it was power-on all the time... goes on and off with key.

The fuse for it is under the hood... why? Who knows!

I would suggest that you look again. ;) Hoping it's there,

Ed

·
Banned
12 Posts
Fuse location?

So which is the correct fuse in the underhood fuse box for the rear 12V accessory outlet? I brought it to the dealer and they didn't know. They said I'd have to leave it for 4 days in order to locate and change the blown fuse... So obviously I'm doing this myself.

·
Banned
12 Posts
It doesn?t say in the owners manual. They gave me a printout of the fuse box schematics but believe it or not, FCA does not label which fuse goes to what source.

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
Then tell us!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Well let's see...

it's too big to be the upfitter mini-panel in the B column, so it's either under the dash (driver side), or under the hood (also driver side)..... hmmmm

This is a picture of the under-dash panel...

that's not it, so.....

Either way, it's the 15 amp blue fuse labelled F09 in the picture!

·
Registered
27 Posts
This suggestion is probably a little late, but whenever I have a blown fuse, I pull them out one at a time and see which one is melted (thin strip of metal will have gap).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Decided to ask on this thread instead of creating a new one as it seems relevant...

I'm looking to install a rear 12v cigarette plug because mine did not come with that option. I don't need it to be always on, just with key on.

Looking for any suggestions/advice on where to tap in for that...

Ideally I want it on the drivers side in the rear anywhere... I see the factor place for it on the drivers side though...

Is there a stock part/cable that can be ordered for that? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Here's what you want:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Ginsco-Cigarette-Lighter-Splitter-Motorcycle/dp/B01B79F8CW/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=12v+power+outlet&qid=1550615947&s=gateway&sr=8-4[/ame]

I would suggest that you add a USB jack too.

As far as where to hookup, finding an on-with-ignition connection is tough in a CanBus controlled vehicle.

If you're making a campervan, a connection to an aux battery might be a good idea, or connect to the van battery with a fuse, but the power is on all the time. Easy to route a wire from the van battery location along the driver side of the van (up the B column and along the top metal support is one way)

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Hi,
My van has a factory installed 12 volt outlet installed in the driver side rear corner of the van just outboard of the rear door. I would not be surprised if the wiring is there for it on all PM's. Take off the black plastic corner piece that is just outboard of the rear driver side door and see if the wiring is there.

But, I agee with the comment that 12 volt outlets and USB charger ports hooked up to the house battery are more useful.

Gary

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Gary,

That's interesting... my 2014 has it listed as an option but is on the passenger side rear column.

One way to see it there is a provision for it is to seee if there's a fuse in position F09 in the under-the-hood fuse box.

I thought that someone recently said that there outlet was there but not activated, which leads me to believe that it's a CanBus managed outlet. Then again the diagrams I see so far seem to show the outlet connected without Canbus involved.... Tough to tell....

Time to dig out some wiring diagrams!

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Oops -- my bad.
The outlet is on the passenger side by the back door.

Gary

Gary,

That's interesting... my 2014 has it listed as an option but is on the passenger side rear column.

One way to see it there is a provision for it is to seee if there's a fuse in position F09 in the under-the-hood fuse box.

I thought that someone recently said that there outlet was there but not activated, which leads me to believe that it's a CanBus managed outlet. Then again the diagrams I see so far seem to show the outlet connected without Canbus involved.... Tough to tell....

Time to dig out some wiring diagrams!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry I should have given context.

This is for a "charge from the car" cable to go to my Goal Zero Lithium "House Battery"

So I need it to come from the 12v system when ignition is on... but currently running a cable from the dash back to the house battery is not ideal.

Strait from the starter battery does not work because I need it to be hot only when engine is running (key is on). To Charge my house battery from the 12v.

I'll check for that fuse... would be good to see where/how the factory rear 12v outlet is plugged in.

·
Registered
683 Posts
that fuse for rear lighter would probably be 15 amp.....if trying battery to battery imho need to upgrade ____WIRE & FUSE at least 75 amp?????

no experience on this but reading board and mobile solar power made easy......????

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I would agree with that. I am not sure what the capacity of your lithium ion battery might be. I am assuming you are not charging it straight off of the 12v system of the van. The chemistry of those batteries generally require a special charger. Are you feeding a charger with the 12v?

I would come straight off the van battery, and put an auto switch on it that closes the circuit as soon as it sees 13.2 volts or above. That way the house battery does not come on circuit until the engine is running.

·
Registered
720 Posts
1st ask "how much current will the Goalzero take ?" then check wire gage calculator (blue sea) for correct gage . Then get RV solenoid / Battery Doctor / other switch/solenoid . Run big wire from van battery to RV sol /bat Doc / etc then on to Goalzero . Use tap on dash cig lighter (easy to get to) for solenoid trigger .
Search forum for all these terms .

1 - 20 of 41 Posts