Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I’m still in the planning stages but considering one of the 12v AC units like the one from Nomadic here. One of my questions is whether an AC unit like this could function like a Maxxair in fan mode, or if I’d need a separate Maxxair to use when I didn’t need the AC.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT Camper Conversion in CT (TX for now due to Covid)
1,042 Posts
In general they roof ac units don't vent, I have not seen one that does.

If I was to go with a roof air (particularly in 12V configuration) and wanted to buy a branded unit (as opposed to unbranded chinese) I would get a dometic RTX unit or kingtec... just because of the $1000 price difference.

Honestly I would probably try a cheap chinese unit from Alibaba for $1000 before spending $3000. (or 4000 for the one linked)

·
Registered
966 Posts
U make me feel great.....$3800 for nice air conditioner out of way on roof

on 2nd window unit....this one $134 plus tax did not buy 2 year warrenty.....now can afford gas and campground with shower & cable

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 3500 EXT Camper Conversion in CT (TX for now due to Covid)
1,042 Posts
I understand, but some people won't accept the 'ugly' window unit out the back.
Others (me) do something try to park in places where an obvious RV would not be allowed.

I am cheap in some areas, but wanted a little bit of being able to blend in... so

The AC runs with the doors closed (for 2-3 hours before heat buildup gets too much. The hot air is exhuasted through the roof vent directly above the Air conditioner and fresh air comes in through the window on the drivers rear door. The roof vent is not powerful enough so the time it can run before it starts to not cool well is limited. I plan to install a more powerful roof vent before going back on the road, most likely a Maxxair 7500k like I have in the front.

The steel locking gate allows me to keep the rear doors open when I am parked in a campground and want to run the air all night (about 4 nights in the two years I have used it, all in Texas in the summer). As long as the overnight temp is below 78 I am ok running the AC for a couple hours and switching to the vents.

So this is the 'cheap' way to have AC. And maintain some degree of blending in (as much as a 8 1/2 foot tall white van can blend). It also avoids a heavy roof air (increasing center of gravity) and increasing the height of the van. I can park my van in the first floor of the garage at work and would not be able to with a tall roof unit.

If I had unlimited money I would have a cruise n comfort system with a condenser mounted under the van.

·
Registered
966 Posts
understand the concept of ugly....east coast is so much different from west coast mountains.....will check out Blue Ridge next week that have been to close to see how after covid on the road is....
have not been camping in this area since scouts and showers air refrigerators not even in dreams...air conditioner would have been beautiful in any form

I think your system with double rear wall would work well with small maybe 10 to 12 foot enclosed trailer. I can see regular door with air hanging out of window in inside wall with ramp/doors outside wall.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,095 Posts
@baitbegger44## - Most everything is opened up across the SE anyway, very few restrictions that I see. Was camping at lower elevations of the far NW part of the SC mountains recently and it got into the low 90's every day so I would have appreciated a window A/C like yours every afternoon and evening! ;-) Where are you going along the Blue Ridge?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Will travel up 220 north to outside Roanoke va
(indian name big lick) pick up blue ridge parkway
45 mph speed limit...follow it up to Monroe va to koa there....resevations 3 nights....will do local sights plus where blue ridge parkway runs into Shenandoah NP.....mess around there

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,095 Posts
Have driven up on Skyline Drive through Shenandoah Park and camped there years ago, towing a pop-up Coleman trailer with a Toyota Tacoma. You may not even need that A/C up there. A cold snap when we were there (autumn) dropped temps into the 20's with no heater in the tent-trailer. Spectacular scenery and should be a great trip. Watch out for deer, they were everywhere.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I may take enough underwear to stay @ Shenandoah NP a day or two....i don't like to drive at night around here....too many deer....deer mean deer ticks....lint roller to remove ticks....yall be sure to check

1 - 9 of 9 Posts