Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts from the "I installed solar" members?

I have a quality 12VDC regulated power supply and was wondering if I could use it in place of a solar panel. I don't plan on putting solar panels on the van but I think a solar controller would accomplish a few things.The power supply can be adjusted to provide up to 15VDC at 25A

1) manage charging rate to my house AGM battery
2) provide low voltage shutoff
3) use power supply as a charger and to power 12V items when docked

Like this:
auxbat.jpg

I plan on a typical maximum load of about 30A. Small TV, lights, ham radio, 12V fridge, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Ed

·
Registered
314 Posts
The cost of a converter/multistage charger, even the ones with 110v circuit breakers for RV's are very low.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Dynamics-PD4045KV-Mighty-Distribution/dp/B002XRU6FM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427297433&sr=8-2&keywords=rv+converter+panel[/ame]

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good info, Mojo

I was hoping to use the $150+ power supply I have instead of putting another $170 into it. My concern is that the regulation and filtering is not as clean as a regulated power supply. Then again the unit you cite is a nice all in one solution.

Also, I figured that the solar controller would provide low voltage shutoff too.

Decisions, decisions...

Ed

ps. My 120V plan consists of an outlet at each back corner and one in the front behind the drivers seat. Pretty basic.

pps. Amazon is strange. The price went from $169 to $180 in two hours?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Keep checking warehouse deals on amazon, they pop up for half price occasionally. Also run the model in google, it will show up with different prices through amazon. They will list the same item at different prices. Also put it you cart for a few days and the price goes down usually.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Any thoughts from the "I installed solar" members?

I have a quality 12VDC regulated power supply and was wondering if I could use it in place of a solar panel. I don't plan on putting solar panels on the van but I think a solar controller would accomplish a few things.The power supply can be adjusted to provide up to 15VDC at 25A

1) manage charging rate to my house AGM battery
2) provide low voltage shutoff
3) use power supply as a charger and to power 12V items when docked

Like this:
View attachment 7442

I plan on a typical maximum load of about 30A. Small TV, lights, ham radio, 12V fridge, etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Ed
I have in my van a Fridge, TV with dvd player, Lights with LED bulbs. I have a 2nd Deep Cycle battery with a 1500watt inverter. The 2nd battery is connected to the main battery so the battery charges while van is running. I arrive at the Racetrack late friday night and the van isnt started again until Sunday late afternoon.

On the Inverter there is a digital display that shows the battery's Voltage and also the amount of watts being drawn. No solar power. The fridge runs all weekend, we watch a movie and run the lights on. When stopped I run a propane heater. If you run electric heat you need to be plugged in to an electric source the heater draws too much power and cannot be run off the batteries.

I can tell you this from experience on most weekends, you do not need solar power if you are running the items yiu described. You can run for at least 2 days before having to start your van for about 10 minutes or a short drive to recharge and good to go!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Proeddie, did you end up doing this? Thinking the same. Why have two chargers? Seems like an old laptop brick connected to the input of an MPPT solar controller should work fine for infrequent shore charging where no other AC loads are required in the van.

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
I have the cheapy HF 2000w inverter (same as Ed got I think) it works fine on everything. Ran my 110vac dorm fridge fine for 3.5 years and it runs my 110vac coffee maker and 1500w microwave (same as Ed’s I believe).with no problems at all - 5 years old on May 15th ;)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KOV,

I was talking about getting electricity INTO the battery, not OUT of it!

The converter/charger combo is a 12V AC to DC step down unit that converts the voltage and charges the batteries when on shore power. So, it seems to me that a high qulaity 12V rectified power supply would do the same thing if combined with a solar controller to regulate ans manage the charging.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My speculation / perception of what will happen:
- Most solar charge controllers have a minimum voltage delta across them. In other words there is usually a requirement for a (Vin ) = (Vout) + (2 or 3 volts) or they won't turn on. Victron's take even higher voltage deltas. It isn't always true, but many require this.
- A taper solar charge controller might work, as they have a very small Vdelta requirement

If you are willing to watch the charging process and have a way to measure the current (clamp meter) then in theory you can set the Vout of the power supply to match the Vbattery and then slowly crank up the voltage until it stays at ~ 20-25 amps. Keep raising the current over time until it has completed the multi stage charging process. Using this method, just bypass the charge controller completely.

The charge voltage vs battery temperature compensation adjustment can usually be found in that particular battery data sheet, but if not try to find a similar AGM battery with a data sheet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts