Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Super Moderator
Looks as if they actually run on 18-32 VDC. You could bypassing the ACinverter and see if they will work on 13 - 14 VDC. you might be surprised! If they do probably just a bit dimmer. Can鈥檛 you return them?

And, please make an introductory post so I don鈥檛 have to your posts.
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules.
Promasterforum.com Introduction Section
Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make will be deleted.

Registered
I'd return them and get ones designed for 12v so you don't have to rig them. They would, however, function on 12v if you bypass the transformer in each. LEDs are always lower voltage and need to convert the 120v anyway. May not get full rated lumen output since the specs say 18-32v, but they would work. Again though, I'd suggest returning and replacing.

Registered
It could be problematic. LEDs are current devices - it's the number of milliamps that matters, not the voltage. In lights like that, the LEDs are in series, and it takes a certain amount of volts per LED to make anything meaningful happen (usually about 3V per LED for blue LEDs). If you have five LEDs in series, that means you need about 15V to make things even start to work. Most of these sort of things will have a power supply that can put out a high, but not directly regulated voltage (e.g. the 18-32V mentioned above), but what is important is that the power supply is current limited to the appropriate level (usually ca. 100mA). To make that work well, you would need a current limited DC-DC converter.
I agree with Somebodyelse - return them and get actual 12VDC lights. I might take a crack at modifying them, but I know how to build a current limited boost converter.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! Returning them is probably the best option!
Does anyone have recommendations for 12V LED puck lights?
Apparently finding them in Canada for a reasonable price is quite difficult!

Super Moderator
I used these but they may not ship to Canada.

Registered
Check Lee Valley. Not sure about their puck lights, but their strip lights run on 12V. I actually prefer strip over puck. Light dispersion is more uniform. LV's strips are compatible with 12V dimmers, too. Amazon.ca has cheap in-line 12V LED dimmers. We put strips under cabinets (fore/aft) and over the slider. No ceiling lights at all. Lots of light and great atmosphere.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks every one! Decided I will try and return them and look into the led strips!
Although I might do a strip/ pick light combo. Any chance anyone knows if you can connect the strips and puck lights to one switch? If not I'll just add in more switches which is fine!

Registered
You can connect them to one switch just fine. If you use a lot of lights, even with dimmers, I would suggest multiple switches for more variation on how much and where you have illuminated though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts