Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo Folks, this is Old Hein from Sprinter's chicks-yard:eek:
https://youtu.be/HISB7qsGs6A
After you watch above vid, what you may say?;)
I say it is winter coming, but A/C in a passenger window on my Projects-list

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ticket waiting to happen. Not legal. Can't block a front
window like that and drive.
:x
Back mirror, was not closed at ALL.

With a New-Project for ProMaster; have a little problem = window with is 14" what does not match any USA market A/C's.
Up-coming IDEA, to turn A/C on a side (on a 90 degree) to fit into window.

P.S. Yes it was possible to drive a Sprinter van with A/C in window.
Problem= Jet-noise when speed more than 40m/h (probably from A/C grills)
Bonus = mounting ON - OFF in less than 3 min.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Have you thought of simply installing the window AC inside the van? It's not that difficult and that way you don't have to install it and remove it at all unless you just want to. That's the way I did mine. And an added bonus is that nobody knows it's there.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Suggest that you abort your "Up-coming IDEA".

Up-coming IDEA, to turn A/C on a side (on a 90 degree) to fit into window.
AC window units need to circulate compressor oil. Installing them on their side will almost certainly disrupt the circulation of oil & lead to premature compressor failure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When we lived in a highrise with utilities including air conditioning included the bedroom was always to hot. Big slider windows with sun beating through all evening we needed extra cooling. Since so high up we bought a portable roll around A/C unit that had flexible duct that fit in window. Even with 6' sliders the kit included panel that expanded. It had a flap in panel that the exhaust tube from A/C fit into with a screen on outside.
One we had had thermostat and remote. It worked great for both the master bedroom and master bath.
This is kind what talking about:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SPT-12-000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner-with-Remote-WA-1220E/202105046
All all be in window would be a plastic panel you cut to fit window and a screened flap that exhaust from A/C fits into.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you thought of simply installing the window AC inside the van? It's not that difficult and that way you don't have to install it and remove it at all unless you just want to. That's the way I did mine. And an added bonus is that nobody knows it's there.
Yes that was my IDEA for a "NEW Sprinter" in May 2006year.
But, first I wanted QUEEEEK TEST of "how it works" placed into a window.
I an hour I made a wooden platform..........
and it worked for 8 years

P.s. some arguments about placing A/C's on a side (90degree).
I will tray AC's cost ~100$ in summer time. Will sacrify:|

·
Registered
143 Posts
Portable AC's

When we lived in a highrise with utilities including air conditioning included the bedroom was always to hot. Big slider windows with sun beating through all evening we needed extra cooling. Since so high up we bought a portable roll around A/C unit that had flexible duct that fit in window. Even with 6' sliders the kit included panel that expanded. It had a flap in panel that the exhaust tube from A/C fit into with a screen on outside.
One we had had thermostat and remote. It worked great for both the master bedroom and master bath.
This is kind what talking about:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/SPT-12-000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner-with-Remote-WA-1220E/202105046
All all be in window would be a plastic panel you cut to fit window and a screened flap that exhaust from A/C fits into.
Doesn't work in the van. I even tried one that had separate intake and exhaust hoses. No dice. At least down here in Texas the van heats up too fast for the portable to cool it quick enough for the AC to not overheat and shut down.

I will be putting a small window unit through a back window and using a small generator to run it.

Reactions: uNik

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here is a pic of my window unit in the van. It blows the hot air out through a vent in the side wall and draws in fresh air from 2 floor vents. You can see one of the floor vents in the second image. A drain tube (not shown) allows condensation to drip onto the ground under the van.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sonic - that's good stuff. Could you tell us more? What part of the country do you live in (i.e. how hot does it get) and what size A/C did you get? What's the wattage draw of the unit?

Do you run it off of batteries or a generator? I thought that A/C drew enough juice that a 2000-3000 kw generator would be necessary.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sonic - that's good stuff. Could you tell us more? What part of the country do you live in (i.e. how hot does it get) and what size A/C did you get? What's the wattage draw of the unit?

Do you run it off of batteries or a generator? I thought that A/C drew enough juice that a 2000-3000 kw generator would be necessary.
I am in a Florida zip 32401.
AC is a smallest size 500watts power. My season was from April to end of November. Always run A/C from "shore-power". Use A/C for sleeping inside
from 8pm to about 1am. In 2015 summer move same A/C to a trailer.
I sold Sprinter van in December 2014y.

I haven't yet sleep over-night in my ProMaster (still under construction)
In a summer 2016y will see how I can use A/C inside of ProMaster

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Here is a pic of my window unit in the van. It blows the hot air out through a vent in the side wall and draws in fresh air from 2 floor vents. You can see one of the floor vents in the second image. A drain tube (not shown) allows condensation to drip onto the ground under the van.

Nice.:)

Mine is set up similarly, except I have both air inlet and discharge for condenser from under floor (separated enough to keep from short-circuiting). Works great for night sleeping but not large enough in sun on hot day because my van is a window van with too much glass and too little insulation. But it's only 5,000 BTU/hr size so we can't expect much under severe daytime conditions.

I plan to do the same again on next project (whenever that is) except mounted higher. Mine is at floor level like yours but I'd like it higher -- although that has disadvantages too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you had any problems with the unit overheating due to lack of ventilation. Did you isolate the exhaust and intake areas completely? Does the exhaust area heat up since the only way for the heat to escape is when pressure builds up inside the box?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts