Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my PM with a 12 volt interface block. Does anyone know where it is located. I called the dealer and was told it was on the side of the passenger seat. I looked high and low and can't find anything.The only wires on either seat are for seat belts and heated seats.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's at the base of the passenger side 'b' pillar.. least I think that's what it's called... look under the passenger seat belt.

·
Registered
56 Posts
12 Volt Interface Block and 220 Amp Alternator Options

I am unsure about the 12 volt interface block. I have it as an option but do not know what it does. Can someone please explain this and the 220 amp alternator. Do they work in tandem. If I want to install a ventilation vent with fan in the roof of the van, does the fan hook up to the interface block? Would I need a second battery to run the fan, extra lights, etc so that the engine battery is not run down or does this alternator and interface block deal with that. Obviously do not know the workings of batteries and electrical attachments.
Thanks,
Doc

·
Registered
180 Posts
The bigger alternator gives you extra power to run things like fans and lights and charge added batteries. The 12v interface gives you another place to connect power (from the standard battery) to those lights and fans. Unless you are trying to run the lights and fans with the engine off, the battery is not really in the equation. If you are, then connecting your added accessories to an added, second battery that is isolated to prevent them from draining your starting battery would be nice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you---much appreciated! So if I want to run the ventilation fan at night with the engine shut off, I really need to get a separate battery for that?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Careful

Be careful when you connect to the power block under the bottom plastic cover on the passenger side. I found a hot lead to hook up some inside LED lights. thought I was doing good but with the lights on and the head lights on then shut the headlight off the marker lights would stay on until you turned off the inside lights. Too weird so I ran a lead right off the battery. Ram wont give any wiring diagrams like it is some sort of top secret need to know, I do need to know its my van I'm paying a lot for.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So the 12volt interface,is not a battery isolator.? If one were to use extra auxiliary deep cycle batteries,would they have to install a multi battery isolator,from the vehicles alternator.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
So the 12volt interface,is not a battery isolator.? If one were to use extra auxiliary deep cycle batteries,would they have to install a multi battery isolator,from the vehicles alternator.
There is no isolator, just a red/black pair of wires attached to a 50 amp fuse then to the van battery. (which, in turn is connected to the alternator for charging)

I believe that you could use this wire to attach an isolator, then feed the batteries off the isolator.

What's kind of strange is the location. You would have to put the battery box in front of the sliding door. If I was designing the upfit connector, I would have put it in the column behind the DRIVER's seat - the perfect place to feed an auxiliary battery! (IMHO)

Ed

ps. I wonder if the connector is there because it would be behind the driver's seat on a European van, and the slider would be on the other side... just guessing - most likely wrong!

·
Registered
549 Posts
ps. I wonder if the connector is there because it would be behind the driver's seat on a European van, and the slider would be on the other side... just guessing - most likely wrong!
That would make sense for the UK, but the other 45+ countries in Europe drive on the same side of the road as us.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Is there an upfitter 12vt power located in the rear columns at the back doors. Id like to have 12 vt constant power at the baxk doors for a power socket.

·
Registered
810 Posts
My van came with a plug at the rear on the drivers side. Maybe yours is wired but no plug installed.
Thanks Catlan.... so.. if you can, sometime. ..find out where its wired to and take a photo or to of the wires... is it constant on all the time?

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you don't have the socket, you don't have the wire. It's fairly easy to run one straight from the battery, under the foam floor to the A pillar, up the A, thru the roof channel to the back. Remember to put in a fuse tho!

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Thanks Catlan.... so.. if you can, sometime. ..find out where its wired to and take a photo or to of the wires... is it constant on all the time?
Jim,

The factory option 12V jack is located in the column next to the passenger side rear door. If you remove the plastic "grille" and find a connector about 2' up from the floor, not connected, that's probably it.

It is NOT constant power... ON/OFF with key.

Ed

·
Registered
810 Posts
Jim,

The factory option 12V jack is located in the column next to the passenger side rear door. If you remove the plastic "grille" and find a connector about 2' up from the floor, not connected, that's probably it.

It is NOT constant power... ON/OFF with key.

Ed
Thanks, Ed

·
Registered
810 Posts
I havent looked yet about a month ago....I removed the drivers side panel cover looking for 12 vt constant power for the trailer lights module. .but didnt find any.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts