Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So discovered that CRL doesn't make a passenger slider window for my PM 118 wheel base, just 136 and 159. :( OEM from dealer is over $500 uninstalled. :eek: Anyone with 118 wheel base install a window in the passenger slider window? The Motion Windows look okay but don't really want a slider and they take 2 months to get. Concerned about how easy the slider windows are to break into. Had one on a camper shell once and thieves easily opened it. Any suggestions? Thanks, George

·
Registered
918 Posts
So discovered that CRL doesn't make a passenger slider window for my PM 118 wheel base, just 136 and 159. :( OEM from dealer is over $500 uninstalled. :eek: Anyone with 118 wheel base install a window in the passenger slider window? The Motion Windows look okay but don't really want a slider and they take 2 months to get. Concerned about how easy the slider windows are to break into. Had one on a camper shell once and thieves easily opened it. Any suggestions? Thanks, George
some window companies specialize in odd sized replacement Windows for older houses.....can't help to check with who in your area does the odd sizes.....does not cost to check

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,692 Posts
...OEM from dealer is over $500 uninstalled. :eek:
I would get the part number and check some of the online Mopar parts dealers.... should be better then local prices.

With the part number, I just type it into google. The number is so unique that search results go to that part directly, and where to buy it... see if there's a seller close that would avoid shipping fees.

Also be aware of year.... 2014's have a different (lighter/greener) tint than later years...AMHIK! :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would get the part number and check some of the online Mopar parts dealers.... should be better then local prices.

With the part number, I just type it into google. The number is so unique that search results go to that part directly, and where to buy it... see if there's a seller close that would avoid shipping fees.

Also be aware of year.... 2014's have a different (lighter/greener) tint than later years...AMHIK! :D
Did google search of part number and found one $449 including shipping (clear glass). However is a bit confusing as the part number is the same for 136 wheel base passenger sliding door window and I thought the door on the 118 is shorter horizontally than the 136. Checked around and could not come up with any different part number for just a 118 window. CRL says the doors are different sizes and their windows for the 136 and 159 do not fit the 118 as the 118 is shorter. Somethin' ain't right. :(

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,573 Posts
My 136 HR slider is 55.25 outside seam to seam

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
door width

On the dodge ram promaster website is says the vans come with cargo doors "UP TO" 49 inches wide. I just measured my 118 wheel base door and it is 48-5/8 inches wide and the actual opening is 49 inches wide. Could someone please supply the actual measured width of you 136 wheel base passenger side sliding cargo door. Is it the same as my 118 WB ?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 136 HR slider is 55.25 outside seam to seam
Okay thanks. That's definitely wider. So now I am wondering if the actual window that fits the 136 slider window is also the same window that fits in the 118 slider window. The doors may be differ in widths but perhaps the window is sized to fit both. According to the part number the window is for both 118 and 136 so the window may possibly be shorter in width enough to fit both size doors. If anyone has a factory installed slider window in your 136 WB van could you provide an actual measurement of the glass width? please and thanks.:) I wonder if the CRL window folks are aware of that possibility?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,573 Posts
The factory glass should be almost seam to seam also.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,573 Posts
55.250 is exterior seam to seam.

If I had a box that was just over 48" it would just fit at the narrowest part of the slider.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,573 Posts
At it's narrowest a 49" box will rub the gasket.

At it's widest 51" box will rub the gasket.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The factory glass should be almost seam to seam also.
CRL window for 136 is 55.25 inches wide so seam to seam. No way that glass would fit my 49 inch wide door. Mopar part numbers must be wrong or something as they can't be the same width glass as the part numbers indicate. Perhaps the factory installed glass is not seam to seam on the 136 and is only 48 to 49 inches wide. head starting to spin.:|

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,573 Posts
On the outside of your van your slider is 49" edge to edge?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On the outside of your van your slider is 49" edge to edge?
Door is 48-5/8 inches edge to edge and the actual door cavity is 49 inches wide.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,573 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
some window companies specialize in odd sized replacement Windows for older houses.....can't help to check with who in your area does the odd sizes.....does not cost to check

For "older houses"??

Perhaps that's a slip, but house windows and automotive windows are completely different, in design, and glazing. All automotive must be safety glazed with acceptable automotive safety glazing, not architectural safety glazing.

For the original poster, $500 installed isn't a bad price. Yes, the door on your 118" is smaller than a door on the other vans. I personally didn't know Ram or Fiat made a sliding window unit for the Promaster yet, only solid ones. The cut out and installation "should" be fairly straight forward, but that does not mean it should be cheap.

We're still considering the R side slider, and rear doors in our '14 136"WB, that came without, and I have to cut through a vertical "brace" across the sheet metal in the R sliding door if we install glass. I am curious if your 118" has that "brace" in it as well, being it's slightly narrower than the other vans.

An FYI for those interested: CRL does not make a glass for the LEFT side slider on our 136" either, though I am convinced it's the same glass size and pattern that goes on the RH side slider. The measurments, angles, and everything "APPEAR" to be identical, though I obviously can't confirm it, at least in regards to trying one, OR that the OEM black ceramic frit on the glass is the same, or is a mirror image of the RH slider glass. When speaking directly to the tech folks at CRL, it was like banging my head against the wall, all they would keep saying was "We Don't Offer a LEFT side slider" when I kept asking "HAVE YOU TRIED ONE yet?"

LOL

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For "older houses"??

Perhaps that's a slip, but house windows and automotive windows are completely different, in design, and glazing. All automotive must be safety glazed with acceptable automotive safety glazing, not architectural safety glazing.

For the original poster, $500 installed isn't a bad price. Yes, the door on your 118" is smaller than a door on the other vans. I personally didn't know Ram or Fiat made a sliding window unit for the Promaster yet, only solid ones. The cut out and installation "should" be fairly straight forward, but that does not mean it should be cheap.

We're still considering the R side slider, and rear doors in our '14 136"WB, that came without, and I have to cut through a vertical "brace" across the sheet metal in the R sliding door if we install glass. I am curious if your 118" has that "brace" in it as well, being it's slightly narrower than the other vans.

An FYI for those interested: CRL does not make a glass for the LEFT side slider on our 136" either, though I am convinced it's the same glass size and pattern that goes on the RH side slider. The measurments, angles, and everything "APPEAR" to be identical, though I obviously can't confirm it, at least in regards to trying one, OR that the OEM black ceramic frit on the glass is the same, or is a mirror image of the RH slider glass. When speaking directly to the tech folks at CRL, it was like banging my head against the wall, all they would keep saying was "We Don't Offer a LEFT side slider" when I kept asking "HAVE YOU TRIED ONE yet?"

LOL
That was $500 UNinstalled just the for the glass. Don't know if or what else would be needed for installation. But not sure if the glass is the right one as it is the same factory/Mopar part number as the slider for the 136. Gonna hafta to talk to someone there at the parts department. Gotta feelin' tho....will just be more confusion. Can't be same window. Yes mine has the vertical brace. FYI, the factory/Mopar part number was also the same for right and left side slider for 118 and 136. :|

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
918 Posts
That was $500 UNinstalled just the for the glass. Don't know if or what else would be needed for installation. But not sure if the glass is the right one as it is the same factory/Mopar part number as the slider for the 136. Gonna hafta to talk to someone there at the parts department. Gotta feelin' tho....will just be more confusion. Can't be same window. Yes mine has the vertical brace. FYI, the factory/Mopar part number was also the same for right and left side slider for 118 and 136. :|
U could talk to window factory....buy glass from windshield place....take to window place.....have them build custom frame.....install yourself or have contractor do it......you chose the style of window...tint....oval....rectangle....louvers.....they could probably make it stained glass...they make hurricane proof glass for windows....got to find window company that does the odd size windows

1 - 20 of 26 Posts