Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally wouldn't have normally bought a used car with more than 40K miles, let alone a commercial vehicle with 100k miles on the clock, but I just had to join the club:)

I saw my van on the auction website a few weeks ago, and after contacting the dealer directly and having a friend look at the van for me in person, I pulled the trigger and had her shipped up to me in MA.

I swear this thing drives like new! It must have been a rental van or a fleet vehicle for it to have so many miles in such a short time, but it was clearly serviced well, and only time will tell if this was a good or bad bet.

I live on a small island, but need room for cargo and big boy toys (surfboards and bikes), as well has having the dream of going for an extended driving trip with my wife and dogs winter in the future. So this will be an adventure van of sorts, but the pace I get things accomplished will be sllllllloooooow.

First step after taking delivery was to take it over to Town Fare Tire for a set of 245/75 Hankook AT's. Not the best of service, as had an appointment but it still took them over two hours to change 4 tires... no alignment, no extra crap, just change the tires. Two hours?!? I'm not a blacked out wheel guy and I like white lettering, so this is my wheel setup and it's staying that way until they go bald. First thoughts on the tires are that they are great off-road, but maybe a 7 out of 10 on pavement. The only reason I give them a lower rating on pavement is because without trying when starting at a stop sign in the rain, I'm spinning the tires a bit. I'm not super heavy footed, so I blame the AT tread. I go down way more dirt, shell and cobblestone roads than paved here at home, so I really don't mind. I put 300 miles on the van just yesterday on the freeway up to 80mph a few times, and it felt nice and tight, but that quick little spin from a dead start is odd.

Anyway, the list of projects include insulating the back (I've read every thread on every forum), so that looks like a ton of fun:eek: I've got some ideas for a removable bed in the back after that, but that's most likely a winter project.

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
Massachusetts? Welcome!

That must make around 10 PM's I know of or have seen in this state now... lol...

Not a lot of us around. A great van - hope it lasts you at least another 100k.

What island?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Brand new tires will still have some mold-release compound on them. It will take some miles on them before it wears off. Add in wet pavement and the touchy throttle of the PM, not surprised it spun the tires a bit. Try it again after 500 miles.

·
Super Moderator
10,200 Posts
Looks great! Even has mags!!! I see lots of Promasters and Sprinters in MA, NH & ME but very few Transits, mostly all the Transits are all Enterprise Rent A Van's

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was your photos and review that got me looking at those tires Jostalli! I've had BF Good AT's on every 4x4 I've ever had, but liked the look on your van. Hopefully they'll breakin a bit and start grabbing:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live out on Nantucket, so I'll see plenty of bad roads.

After looking at floor treatments and reading all that's been done before, I decided to follow another posters lead and put down a layer of rubber mat for noise then screw down a thin plywood. I bought 3 of the 3/4 horsetrailer mats from the Feed & Seed...Man do they smell! But I put them to work right away, and without any other insulation, it takes the road noise down a click.

More later!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts