Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
10 hours, 8 of which things happened, 2 hours which a lot of head scratching took place.
But the back of our build is now rough in and ready for outlets. 250 feet of 14 DC wire (well the frig got 12 guage), 52 feet of 12/2 Romex.
Tomorrow the rough in of wiring runs for the cabinet and maybe just maybe the big connections Tuesday.

And a question please.
I'm using the same AC/DC distribution box that Gary used. Anyone see problem using ground fault breakers Square-D there for my AC side? other than cost of course, I know Square-D is proud of them.

Anyway a couple of snaps from the day....

But here is the blog post with a few snaps-
http://www.stopitdown.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=433&action=edit

Oh, well looks like I've reached my limit on pics here :(

·
Registered
468 Posts
Wow that's a lot of wire!!! looking good! my van has 2 AC circuits 2 outlets on one and 1 on the other and 3-4 DC for lights and 12outlets. cant remember. Today I got my Projecta dc/dc charger installed and working but I didn't add the 2nd battery yet I'm going to see how it performs first. so far so good. sorry I can ever seem to get pictures to post right they are either upside down or sideways. just tilt your head to the left and youll get the idea lol the circuit breaker is on top and this is under the driver seat. currently charging 1-105 AH battery.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
Wow that's a lot of wire!!! looking good! my van has 2 AC circuits 2 outlets on one and 1 on the other and 3-4 DC for lights and 12outlets. cant remember. Today I got my Projecta dc/dc charger installed and working but I didn't add the 2nd battery yet I'm going to see how it performs first. so far so good. sorry I can ever seem to get pictures to post right they are either upside down or sideways. just tilt your head to the left and youll get the idea lol the circuit breaker is on top and this is under the driver seat. currently charging 1-105 AH battery.
Charger if your photos don't display correctly and you took them with an iPhone it's because you need to open them up with a photo editing program first and then save them. That sets the correct view to the image. If you just post an image directly from your phone you are asking for problems. It's a well known Apple bug.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,508 Posts
MM,

The link you created links us to the admin login for your Wordpress site. You need to link to the site, not the admin area. If you log out of Wordpress, then copy the link to your page, that will work.

For pics here I use "postimage" website... free, easy to use, and easy to post links here to pictures there.

Sounds like you got a lot done this weekend!

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
I'm assuming you put the electrical boxes in sideways on purpose?

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
I don't think there are any codes when you're wiring a van ;)

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,994 Posts
10 hours, 8 of which things happened, 2 hours which a lot of head scratching took place.
But the back of our build is now rough in and ready for outlets. 250 feet of 14 DC wire (well the frig got 12 guage), 52 feet of 12/2 Romex.
Tomorrow the rough in of wiring runs for the cabinet and maybe just maybe the big connections Tuesday.

And a question please.
I'm using the same AC/DC distribution box that Gary used. Anyone see problem using ground fault breakers Square-D there for my AC side? other than cost of course, I know Square-D is proud of them.

Anyway a couple of snaps from the day....

But here is the blog post with a few snaps-
http://www.stopitdown.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=433&action=edit

Oh, well looks like I've reached my limit on pics here :(
Hi,
I have to admit to being a bit of a skeptic on the value of GFI outlets or breakers -- so, temper what I say with that.

I think that using the GFI stuff with notoriously flaky shore power might end up causing a lot of frustration. GFIs are very very sensitive to any flaws in the neutral/ground wires.
If you want to go with the GFIs, I think it would be good to have at least one 120VAC outlet that is not a GFI or on a GFI breaker -- that way you won't be totally without 120VAC if using flaky shore power.

My uncle the electrician used to test circuits for being hot by putting his thumb across the hot and ground :)

Gary

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
I have no breakers in my van! All three 110 vac recepticals are protected (if you can call it that) by the GFI receptical built in on my inverter or by a GFI recepticals on the first receptical after the power line from the grid enters the van. I've never had a problem with the GFI's not working. I realize they are not breakers but I see no real need for breakers either.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,508 Posts
I have no breakers in my van! All three 110 vac recepticals are protected (if you can call it that) by the GFI receptical built in on my inverter or by a GFI recepticals on the first receptical after the power line from the grid enters the van. I've never had a problem with the GFI's not working. I realize they are not breakers but I see no real need for breakers either.
My design (almost) exactly! I have a GFCI adapter that is plugged into the outlet that comes in from outside. From that I feed a few outlets on each side of the van. Simple but effective! When I plug in to a campground, I'm plugging into an outlet fed directly by a breaker. Same at home. :D

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the 30amp ground fault breaker was kinda pricy as far as breakers go but the
electrical specialty house where we found it said if any problems being finicky just
bring it back. So we'll how it goes.
We're not expecting perfection or anywhere near it. Remember to us the PM is just
a tool, not a passion or hobby.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,994 Posts
Hi,
Not disagreeing with what anyone is saying, but just to be clear...

My understanding is that GFIs sense (very precisely) whether there is any difference between the current going out to the load on the hot line and the current coming back on the neutral line. If there is a difference, the cause for the difference might be a human diverting some of the current to ground (and being electrocuted). GFIs are very sensitive -- 6 milliamp difference between the current going out to the load and the current coming back will trigger it.

Fuses and breakers have a completely different function. They limit the total current flow in a wire to keep the supply wire from overheating if it is shorted to ground somewhere along its path. As said, its to prevent fires resulting from large overcurrents flowing in wires. Nothing to do with protecting people from electrocution.

If you google something like GFCI problems RV shore power, you do get quite a few reports of problems, but given that KOV and Proeddie have not had problems with their GFCIs probably indicates its not as big a problem as I had been thinking.

Gary

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,508 Posts
My uncle the electrician used to test circuits for being hot by putting his thumb across the hot and ground :)
When I was in high school, I"d work with an electrician after school. He did the same thing in a light socket to see if a bulb was burned out. Kept telling me to try it - NOPE! In reality, a calloused thumb has some resistance, and the current is only going thru your thumb, not the rest of you... still NOPE!

MY GFCI adapter goes on the end of an extension cord. (They sell 'em at Lowes for under $20) I read about a number of campers who had big issues with campgrounds where their GFCI would trip when they plugged in. If I encounter an outlet where it is fussy, I can leave the GFCI out of the circuit and still use AC.

My main 120v breaker is also on a 1 foot extension cord. I only use 15A in the van, so it works out well, and it's easy.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If they become problematic City Electric will accept their return.
I know some campervan builds lean strongly toward complete
self sufficiency in a boondocking setting whereas some are built
to be much more dependent on shore power.
From a background of carrying everything we need for life on our
backs we can get by with very little and that translates to the van.
My preference is no campgrounds/rv parks but those days will be there
too just to stay legal and I'd rather be legal
with them then in a Walmart parking lot.
If the power is fussy then we'll just make do with our DC side.
I'm still not good with calculating the amp-hours but if all I'm powering
is my ARB frig and the Maxxair fan then I'm good for days. I'll just need
to throttle back usage of his and hers energy hogging Dell XPS Touch 13 laptop but
in that setting all I really need it for is getting images off the cards and onto
the backup hard drive and that doesn't take too long. Well that's almost true.
When at Conowingo Dam shooting eagles in one 4 hour session I had over 2000
images so that did take 15 min's for double backups :)
And I keep forgetting my little Earthquake 700 watt generator.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
We have more electrical usage than you, 200 watts of solar and have needed to plug in or interconnect the batteries about 5 times in almost 2 years which was about 3+ months in the camper. I doubt you will need the generator enough to carry it.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
I have to agree. I haven't used my generator since I put the solar in

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm using a 30 amp converter charger out of and old pop up camper that has 5 DC circuits and up to 4 AC ,I'm only using 2 I have 2 outlets on a 20 amp breaker and GFCI for future use of a portable AC unit and 1 outlet on 15 amp breaker non GFCI. Currently the only time I have 120v is when i am plugged in shore power. I don't see the need for me to have an inverter. The fridge freezer i plan to purchase is more efficient on 12v power and i use either small propane grill or butane stove for cooking. After i istall the 2nd battery for a total of 210ah i may get a 1000 watt inverter if i see some use for it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts