Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I need some trip planning assistance. With the PM is nearing 75% camp comfort ready I have carved out a 10-day window at the end of March for some desert exploration. We'll be departing from Boise southbound. My personal experience in the SW is yet limited to several jaunts to Moab for mountain bike mayhem and a trip to Prescott to remember the Yarnell 19 (RIP). We have family in the Phoenix area but don't plan to spend but a day or two near the crush of society. Suggestions? Ready, Set, Go!

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
You don't say what you do want to do. Late March get south to Roosevelt Lake and stay in the forest service campground there via the salt river canyon. Get camping tickets at the ranger station or at the store south of the lake. Big fine if you don't have on for each day, $4 per day for seniors or $8. Well worth it. Then get a few extras camping passes and drive the tortilla flats road into Phoenix. Kind of hairy so going the other way feels safer. In phoenix get out of town asap and go to Painted Rocks in Gila bend, 15 niles west of town. Then down Rt 85 down to Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument camping neat the visitor center, hike to Bull Pasture or the Senita Basin and see Quitobaquito springs. If you have your passports go across to MX and Puerto Peñasco for a day at the beach. Call when near OPCNM and we will meet up. You can show us snow pictures!

Reactions: dnelsonid

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RD. Yes, I was remiss in explaining the thrust of our adventuring. Myself, the missus, and our three terrors intend to hike, bike, soak and explore each and every day so we're hoping to either keep the daily driving to tolerable minimums or to suck it up and put in big road days if need be. The kids are tough enough to bang out some decent miles on their little legs with the right encouragement (see: treats and threats) so getting away from the crowds is a must. Intial thoughts take us to the Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion but 10-days might be cutting it a bit short to do the big parks justice.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Grand Canyon, Zion & Bryce tend to be pretty crowded, although late March probably won't be too bad. North Rim of the Grand Canyon will still be closed for the season (except for Back Country Use), South Rim is always open.

Other options in Utah are Capitol Reef NP and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument via Highway 12 North of Bryce.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
1,999 Posts
Hi,
A couple places that stood out to us in trips down there.

Dead Horse Point State Park

The Valley of the Gods road (gravel, but good and great scenery away from people)

Monument Valley area

BLM campground on the goosenecks (south of Moab -- pretty and we had the whole place to ourselves)

We ended up in BLM campgrounds a several times as in that area they are mostly open all year round where the Forest Service ones close for winter.
Found this website to be quite helpful for places to camp: http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/utah
They have a good app for smartphones.

We just got back from PM trip down to Texas -- it was nice to be in the 70's and read about 10F and snow back home in Bozeman. So, if you want to go an extra 500 miles, might consider that -- really liked Big Bend Park and the Gulf Coast at Padre Island Seashore Monument, but more tourist volume than Utah.

A few pictures from our first PM trip to this area on this page: http://www.buildagreenrv.com/trip-reports-experiences-and-lessons/first-trip-lessons/

Gary

·
Super Moderator
10,200 Posts
Just read this about the Arches

"Road construction at Arches National Park (Utah) will have a major impact on RVers and other visitors this travel season. The road through the park will shut down from 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. Sunday through Thursday nights, starting sometime in March. The park will be closed during the construction hours, and the park’s campground, Devil’s Garden, will be completely shut down from March 1 through November 30."

I stayed there last week and thought the roads and campground were fine! I would check out the BLM campgrounds around Moab as Gary did as that is probably going to be your only options there.

Big Bend is also well worth the trip but really not close enough to The Arches for a 10 day trip. I would suggest BB asap before that wall get built and destroys not only the environment but the park itself.

NOTE: this is NOT a political statement but a fact that the current administration has promised to implement so don't even think about complaining to me about pointing it out!

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Up on dead horse point near arches is also a newer BLM campground called horse thief BLM See: https://www.campendium.com/horsethief-campgroundthat is good. Lots of ATVs but they were respectful when I was there which makes them fine with me. We liked it! $15/$8 w/senior parks pass.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Here's what I love: visit Natural Bridges NP late in the day; catch the sunset. Then head down hwy 261 about 25 mi to where the pavement ends at the Moki Dugway switchbacks. Turn right onto Muley Pt Rd. I think its a couple of miles to the first parking area. Continue to the right and start scoping out a place to park/camp. Be vigilant if you choose the left side of the road. ? (if you've got kids you'll probably want to choose a spot to the right) Enjoy the amazing night sky! In the morn you'll awake to discover you're at the edge of a thousand-foot dropoff with a vista that rivals the Grand Canyon. Directly below lie the goosenecks of the San Juan River with the spires of Monument Valley just beyond. Muley Pt is BLM land; is free, open and in March will only have a smattering of other campers.

Then continue down the Moki Dugway, check out Valley of the Gods, take a stop at Goosenecks St Pk ($5 - worth it!), thru Mexican Hat, and on thru Monument Valley. This is basically what GaryBIS did I believe, and can all be done before noon if you want. Pull this up on a satellite map to see how these places relate to each other (and why you want to be careful on the left side of Muley Pt Rd!)

·
Registered
371 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Not quite what some folks might consider the SW, but its close enough for me. I would highly recommend a day at Mesa Verde, between Cortez and Durango, CO. We spent most of a day there a year ago in late November. Amazing place, and I would love to get back there again.

If the snow is cleared by your timeframe, put it on the list.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey, BigBend was mentioned. How are the roads for the Promaster?
Was planning a TX trip to visit Big Bend National Park and BB State Park.
Will be there with street legal offroad bikes for the really rough roads. But did want to camp at some of the more remote sites off the dirt roads.

I assume its fine?

·
Super Moderator
10,200 Posts
The roads are fine. I drove on the dirt loop road (name escapes me right now) with no problems other than the Promadter curse of rear door dust collecting and a bit of wash boarding. I didn't really try any rutted dirt trails because I'm not into that but I've driven my Promadter on many poorly maintained dirt roads without problems. Just keep in mind it's not designed as an off road dirt bike and you'll be fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts