Conversion DIY vs Hiring a company, savings? - Ram Promaster Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 41 Old 05-19-2019, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
ledesp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Conversion DIY vs Hiring a company, savings?

What would you guys say percentage wise is the general margin of savings
when you do everything yourself VS hire a conversion company to do everything for you?

2018 Promaster 2500 159 Extended Tall Roof, Fixed platform bed in the rear, fully functioning kitchen, cupboards,
storage, shower, toilet(composting or cassette), all season insulation, solar and water, a few windows, vents/fans, heater/aircon.

I know it all depends on how elaborate and luxurious the conversion is and quality of materials and components
used however I am wondering "in general" how much you save if you DIY vs Hire.

One thing to note is that I do not have any tools so I would need to purchase all the
tools required for DIY and I would also need to rent a workspace ($500-$1k a month) to do the work in for 3-6 months as I am
currently in an apartment rental without a garage or workspace. So those expenses also need to be considered via the DIY route.

Van is already owned so that expense does not need to be considered.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 05-19-2019, 06:43 AM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Thanked 1,074 Times in 881 Posts
You seem to be able to post with this new thread.

To answer your question - no reason at all why you couldn’t do a first class quality conversion for $5 or $6 thousand. A shop would ask $20 to do the same most likely. You do not need to rent a space to work many here, most in fact, have done everything in their driveway or outside. You do not need expensive tools or even AC power. A $300 (max) set of battery operated drill, saw, etc from a big box store will handle anything you need. You could do it in a parking lot or the side of the road for that matter. Your biggest concern would be the weather and your skill level but many others have done what you want under very similar circumstances with much success.

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster camping conversion. https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=43121
post #3 of 41 Old 05-19-2019, 07:38 AM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1490 Post(s)
Thanked 1,668 Times in 1,294 Posts
Garage
KOV is correct.
The problem for us may be knowing what a similar conversion would cost. Mine cost me about $4,000 before I installed the swivel seats and lowered bases. It includes a $900 Espar diesel furnace you may not need.
My time invested was about 220 hours plus 100+ more researching plans, products, and methods. If I got even $25 an hour for the labor it adds way more than the materials to the total. Selling my modular parts to instal in a customer’s van would be about twice the cost of building them. If I were doing that as a business it would have to be more than that to cover insurance, my self employment taxes, losses, and infrastructure.
I think it is safe to say one can build a conversion for one-third or less of the cost of hiring it done.

2015 136" HT Diesel 1500 Sandstone Pearl Metallic
Campervan build see:https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=37177
You can browse my build pictures at http://tinypic.com/RDsPictures
Conversion Costs see: https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=85761
$500 solar and $700 complete Electrical: https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=71562
If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 05-19-2019, 07:51 AM
ThomD

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
There is a saying that you don't build a boat because you want to sail; you build a boat because you want to build a boat.

Doing a conversion has to be something that appeals to you. It can be a lot of work. At times it will be frustrating.

I'm probably at 600 hours over 18 months and about 90% done. That doesn't count a couple of hundred hours of research and planning. Probably on the high side of average for time because I have a pretty elaborate electrical system.

2017 159" Gas High top with dual sliders.
Build Thread
post #5 of 41 Old 05-19-2019, 08:11 AM
MsNomer

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Ha. I have several thousand hours in mine (not an exaggeration) but that is because I love the building process and don’t want it to end. But I love sailing the boat, too: we’ve already turned 100,000 miles. That said, others here have proven that you can complete a quality product in hundreds, not thousands, of hours, even with no previous skills or tools.

The one consideration you have ignored transcends time and money. When you do it yourself, you really own it. No commercial upfitter can match that.

www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com

Website detailing my build: msnomersvan.wordpress.com

2014 White 136" HT 1500 Gas

Last edited by MsNomer; 05-19-2019 at 08:13 AM.
post #6 of 41 Old 05-19-2019, 09:59 AM
Wowbagger

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
One other thing to consider: there are regulations on RVs - electrical and plumbing codes, crashworthiness issues, safety for CO and propane, etc. The professional conversion shops know the codes, are bonded, and have insurance in case things go wrong, just like a general contractor for a home.
Are you willing to do all the research to find all the relevant codes, and make sure you follow them? If something goes wrong, how will you prove you actually followed all the codes?
Now, I am *not* saying doing your own conversion is a bad idea! But part of the cost delta from doing the work yourself vs. having a professional do the work is for the professional to be able to stick a RVIA sticker on the vehicle at the end of the job, and certify it - and that makes insurance a great deal easier.
Also: don't forget that you *should* account for your time, for it does have a cost. Maybe you enjoy the work, but it is still hours of your life you could have spent doing something else. I think it's a bit of a flawed comparison to compare working for nothing vs. paying somebody, as you should look at the opportunity cost of not being able to e.g., go rent an RV while yours is being converted and have fun.
post #7 of 41 Old 05-19-2019, 11:39 AM
ThomD

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
One other thing to consider: there are regulations on RVs -
Are there regulations about class B RVs? The RVIA guidance is for their members. I don't think there are any rules in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) from the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) that cover conversions. Don't mess with anything forward of the B pillar and you are probably fine.

I'm fairly sure most of these one-off #vanlife conversion "companies" are not putting any more care or planning into their setup than some of the members here and are not RVIA members. Sure some established companies are (Sportsmobile, Advanced RV, El Kapitan etc) but if they started on YouTube, I would not put money on it.

RVIA is members only, so I don't have to prove I did anything that complies with their rules. This thread inspired me to look a the RVIA members list. Lots of interesting companies I'd never heard of. Maybe next time I will throw money at the problem.

I could be wrong.

2017 159" Gas High top with dual sliders.
Build Thread

Last edited by ThomD; 05-19-2019 at 01:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomD For This Useful Post:
keeponvaning (05-19-2019)
post #8 of 41 Old 05-19-2019, 12:15 PM
ferall

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
On YouTube people share their experiences of living in their vans while building them out. Having an apartment gives you a pretty good leg up on them if you don't mind just working on stuff wherever, a home Depot parking, or the side of the road in an industrial park, a friend's house.
post #9 of 41 Old 05-19-2019, 12:49 PM
KNDLKSTMS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
And might be easy enough for you to get a premade "kit". Just screw/bolt it in . Depends on your desired result . Build a palace or go camping .

2016 118" White Gasser
The Following User Says Thank You to KNDLKSTMS For This Useful Post:
ledesp (05-19-2019)
post #10 of 41 Old 05-19-2019, 12:57 PM
SteveSS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Garage
To answer your question, it depends on so many things ...

Like MsNomer and ThomD, I do it because I love the creative, hands-on building process. Woodworking is my hobby, so I don't count my time, I cherish it. Not my first rodeo, but first-timers can be successful, too. We all started somewhere, although it's best to keep the first one simple. Lots of experience here, use it.

Adding to Wowbagger, be sure to research your local state/provincial insurance options up front. They vary by jurisdiction; they also depend on the extent of your conversion and your investment in it. Simple, low-investment conversions may not merit or even qualify for "RV certification" and/or "RV insurance". But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Knowing your range of insurance options from the beginning will help guide your decisions. Again, lots of experience here.

SteveSS
2017 3500 159 EXT gas, silver metallic. Shiny's build thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page