post #1 of 62 Old 04-28-2017, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
flyingfork

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Progressive Insurance

Hello,

So I have a bit of an issue and was hoping for some advice. I currently live in Michigan and last fall I purchased a RAM 2500 Promaster new, from a dealer ship. My intentions are to convert the van over to something loosely resembling an RV. So it's been sitting in my driveway for the past six months while I've been waiting for spring. No one drives it all, so all I have on it is "storage insurance" in case tree falls on it or some other random act of god happens. Well I tried to get insurance on it today through progressive (my other two vehicles are with them) and they told me that I have to get commercial insurance for that vehicle?!!? Really!? I asked about RV's and she told me that they too have to go through the commercial side to get insurance. Any thoughts? She told me that the commercial insurance is much more expensive, which i believe. But I'm just going to be using it maybe once or twice a month on the weekends!

Any thoughts?

2015 2500 Ram ProMaster High Roof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 04-28-2017, 06:13 PM
keeponvaning
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Thanked 1,018 Times in 835 Posts
I get mine from Progressive commercial for about $300 a year (full coverage) in NH!

2014, High Top/159 WB, 2500 gas Promaster camping conversion. https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=43121
post #3 of 62 Old 04-28-2017, 11:34 PM
charity's van

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I have a 2014 2500 promaster and a 2007 2500 sprinter, the promaster is insured by shelter as a personal delivery vehicle cost about $900 year. the sprinter is insured by progressive as a commercial delivery vehicle cost about $1100 year. the vin numbers is why i had to get a commercial rate from progressive as all else we own is insured by shelter. now the funny thing; the promaster has a commercial plate while the sprinter has a regular plate. this again is due to the vin numbers according to the dmv. these guys need to get their act together. i hate having a plate rated for 10,000 lbs on a van rated for 8950 lbs. also some states i enter weigh vans at the scale house starting at 10,001 lbs ( i think i have even seen signs stated over 4 tons). The insurance companies are getting tough on larger vehicles, my friend with a F350 dually says his insurance tripled this year and our other buddy with a F550 dually has yet to find anyone that will insure his truck ( the company he was with since 2006 dropped anything bigger than a F250 or with dual wheels)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 Old 04-29-2017, 12:01 AM
RDinNHandAZ

Location: Summer in Lakes Region of NH and Winter in the Sonoran Desert of AZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,254 Posts
Garage
flyingfork,
I have insurance form Progressive as an RV <$400 annual policy. I bought it through their website as I do for my 4runner and my motorcycles. I have never bought any from a representative of theirs or an agent for them. Easy. They require the van to have a GVRW of over 9,000 lbs., have cooking facilities built in, shore power, bathroom, water storage, and the other features of a Class B van which is the class of insurance I requested. I wouldn’t call an agent or allow them to quote insurance for a commercial vehicle if it’s an RV. Use the internet! I had to pick how many days per year I would use it and I picked a number like 220 as we don’t use it for our everyday driver. They keep your answers so be honest of course but it should work fine. You get a quote and pay. All insurance should be this easy.

2015 136" HT Diesel 1500 Sandstone Pearl Metallic
Campervan build see:https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=37177
You can browse my build pictures at http://tinypic.com/RDsPictures
Conversion Costs see: https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=85761
$500 solar and $700 complete Electrical: https://www.promasterforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=71562
If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.
post #5 of 62 Old 04-29-2017, 08:00 AM
Charger7022

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I got insurance thru progressive. I just called them 2 days after I got my van. I do remember them having a bit of trouble trying to find the make and model in there system but I told him what it was and the vin number and they took care of it. I don't think I'm paying much over $600 a year for just the van on full coverage here in PA. I thought about going to RV insurance now that my van is mostly done but I don't want to throw a wrench into things so I'm going to leave it.

2016, 159" high top, Gas, converted to a camper for 4
post #6 of 62 Old 04-29-2017, 10:11 AM
Samuel Palmer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Go to Erie Insurance Exchange, Erie Insurance. No company can beat their rate.
post #7 of 62 Old 04-30-2017, 02:19 PM
carnut

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDinNHandAZ View Post
flyingfork,
I have insurance form Progressive as an RV <$400 annual policy...
Makes a huge difference what state you are in. Michigan is one of the highest cost states for auto insurance. We have 2 of the top ten highest cost cities in the country (Detroit and Grand Rapids). It's also one the few states that USAA won't offer coverage to veteran's family members.

I bought my last van (94 E150) from California and the PO left some old insurance bills in it. He paid $300/year. For the same van I pay just under $800/year in MI with a perfect driving record, top credit rating, and the vehicle classified as pleasure use < 5000 mi/year. Progressive rates where much higher on the same vehicle.

Try some different companies. Problem may be the 8550 GVRW.

Last edited by carnut; 04-30-2017 at 02:40 PM.
post #8 of 62 Old 05-01-2017, 10:10 AM
PopeAng

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDinNHandAZ View Post
flyingfork,
I have insurance form Progressive as an RV <$400 annual policy. I bought it through their website as I do for my 4runner and my motorcycles. I have never bought any from a representative of theirs or an agent for them. Easy. They require the van to have a GVRW of over 9,000 lbs., have cooking facilities built in, shore power, bathroom, water storage, and the other features of a Class B van which is the class of insurance I requested. I wouldn’t call an agent or allow them to quote insurance for a commercial vehicle if it’s an RV. Use the internet! I had to pick how many days per year I would use it and I picked a number like 220 as we don’t use it for our everyday driver. They keep your answers so be honest of course but it should work fine. You get a quote and pay. All insurance should be this easy.

I did the same as RD. Actually, I first called them and tried to get RV insurance for my PM, but because they couldn't grasp the concept that a RAM could be an RV, they told me I could not get it insured as an RV and that it would have to be commercial.

The next day I went through the internet and made my selections. I then called them and they looked up my selections, I confirmed some and edited others through the agent, based on my questions to them re: "what do you mean when you say...". The agent said my vehicle could be insured as an RV as long as it had a bed, and toilet, and refrigeration. Those where the first three things I got in my van. The bed is done, I have a portable toilet (not yet in use, but could be in an emergency), and a Dometic Fridge (not yet powered, still working through electricity - but I could connect to 12v lighter outlet)...but I have them and they could all function if necessary.

It really depends on where you are getting it insured...how you answer the questions (on the internet), was words/terms you use when talking to someone and the agent's ability to work with you.

The problem when I called the first time I said that I have a cargo van that I am converting into and RV. It will have a bed, plumbing, toilet, fridge/freezer, electrical, etc. Well, the only thing the agent heard was "converting" and "van" and made the assumption that I was trying to insure a "conversion van" as an RV. No matter how I tried to explain it, that this would be just like a Class B RV...he didn't get it, and was flat out saying we don't insure those vans as an RV. That's when I realized I needed to use the online application first so I could articulate exactly what I had without the agent's assumptions interfering with my attempts to get insurance.
post #9 of 62 Old 05-01-2017, 12:31 PM
twicken2

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
We have Progressive full timers coverage. Had the same issues with agents as those above, finally got frustrated and did the online form. Now, someone file a claim so we know that it will work out!

2014 159WB High Roof 3500 Diesel custom camper build
The Following User Says Thank You to twicken2 For This Useful Post:
PopeAng (05-01-2017)
post #10 of 62 Old 05-01-2017, 01:01 PM
proeddie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Wick View Post
Now, someone file a claim so we know that it will work out!
As some on the forum are aware, I have attempted to RV-insure my PM campervan with all the big names. All have said, "Only if built by a recognized van conversion company."

"just like a Class B" was a no-go.

"it has sleeping, eating, cooking, toilet facilities" was a no-go.

Talked to agents and also filled out online forms with many companies. Agents said no, online called for "details," then said no.

All have said that the underwriters will not insure unless built by a recognized company. Many at my urging have called the underwriters back, offered pictures and documentation.... still a no-go.

Their final word suggests to me that at claim time, issues may present themselves... I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from what they have or how they got it... just sharing the absolute certainty with which every major company said, "NO GO" to a DIY van.

Bottom line for me is that mine is insured as purchased... a cargo van with whatever I want to carry in the back (which in my case are all the items that a campervan has!)
In CT, I can't get RV plates so it is licensed as a "combo" plate... may be used for personal or business use. Can't license with a passenger plate.

Costs more, but not quite as much as my 2014 Corvette!

Working on the van, and my website about it! Please visit www.empowersites.com/edsvan or here on the forum

Last edited by proeddie; 05-01-2017 at 01:04 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page